Sign in to follow this  
wrestle09

wrestler you would not wanna wrestle

who are the top 5 wrestlers you would hate to wrestle most? Mine would be 1) Dake(extraordinary defense and tough on top 2)Taylor(extraordinary variety of offensive attacks...never know where he is going 3) stieber(my shoulders hurt while thinking abut wrestling him 4) anthony robles( i know he is current BUT what the heck do u do against him?? 5) jason welsh ( so funky )

most likely guys one would WANT to wrestle.

not wanting to seems to go against wrestling/competitors’ creed.

I would agree with that but I think they more or less meant, Guys you wouldn't want to wrestle because they would absolutely destroy you.

I look at it as guys who would kick my butt severely but I would love to face just for the fact I could say I wrestled them. lol

1. Brent Metcalf

2. Dan Gable

3. Cael Sanderson

4. Ben Askren

5. Jordan Burroughs

If we are considering anyone from any era:

1. Wade Schalles

2. Gene Mills

3. Tom and Terry Brands

4. Mark Schultz

All of these guys wouldn't just beat you, they would beat you to a pulp, inflicting maximum legal pain for every point they scored. While there may be others who might score more or make you look dumber as an overmatched opponent, I would dread wrestling these guys the most because of the pain involved.

From the Penn State team, though facing Megaludis, Taylor & Ruth can be embarrassing, in regards to pain, I think the guy you don't want to face is Matt Brown. That guy is simply relentless with brutal strength and a physical style. He doesn't just beat you, he inflicts pain on the way. I think he is easily the most under-rated wrestler on the PSU team. I think he is going to be tough to beat.

Oh jeezuz - the polish power WILL eff you up!

I was always better on the mat than on my feet. I never liked wrestling guys that were takedown artists. I was a tie up guy and would work for a throw. These slick ankle pickers ate my lunch.

most likely guys one would WANT to wrestle.

not wanting to seems to go against wrestling/competitors’ creed.

I would agree with that but I think they more or less meant, Guys you wouldn't want to wrestle because they would absolutely destroy you.

I look at it as guys who would kick my butt severely but I would love to face just for the fact I could say I wrestled them. lol

1. Brent Metcalf

2. Dan Gable

3. Cael Sanderson

4. Ben Askren

5. Jordan Burroughs

well in that case, disregard previous comment. :?

Everyone always says the Brands brothers. They would stay in your face, get you tired and take the occasional cheap shot (tongue in cheek) but IMO, the meanest SOB of that time/team was Brad Penrith. That guy is still the meanest I have ever stepped on the mat with.

Ness remains the strongest I have ever wrestled and not particularly fun :)

If we are considering anyone from any era:

1. Wade Schalles

2. Gene Mills

3. Tom and Terry Brands

4. Mark Schultz

All of these guys wouldn't just beat you, they would beat you to a pulp, inflicting maximum legal pain for every point they scored. While there may be others who might score more or make you look dumber as an overmatched opponent, I would dread wrestling these guys the most because of the pain involved.

You are all wrong.

Past- Dave Schultz' twisting front facelock was premiere- he taught it to Rein and then he punished us severely in the UW room.

That and his leg-breaker....fuggetaboutit....not worth showing up for.

Glad I wasn't in his weight class.

Wrestling Rein wasn't much fun neither!

Also there was a guy named Bill Cripps from Arizona State who still holds the most riding time for an NCAA match ( against a future runnerup, no less- Mark Schmitz)- something like 7:30 ! No thank you.

Gable would have at least put you out of your misery.

Present:

Probably a healthy Andrew Howe....just brutally strong- very difficult to score on ( my double leg is not as good as Burroughs - LOL )

Everyone always says the Brands brothers. They would stay in your face, get you tired and take the occasional cheap shot (tongue in cheek) but IMO, the meanest SOB of that time/team was Brad Penrith. That guy is still the meanest I have ever stepped on the mat with.

Ask Kendall Cross how he felt about the Brands. He once told me that no matter how well-conditioned and mentally prepared he was, he dreaded wrestling Terry Brands more than anyone else in the world because he knew it would take everything he had to just finish the match, let alone stay in it.

I'm sure Penrith was nasty too.

Ask Kendall Cross how he felt about the Brands. He once told me that no matter how well-conditioned and mentally prepared he was, he dreaded wrestling Terry Brands more than anyone else in the world because he knew it would take everything he had to just finish the match, let alone stay in it.

I'm sure Penrith was nasty too.

No question wrestlingnerd that the Brands brothers were something else. I meant no disrespect toward either of them. Never wrestled Tom but I did wrestle Terry.

Wrestled Dave Shultz twice and both times I was unable to wrestle the rest of the tournament because put that lower back destroying Hi Turk/Cross face pinning combo on me. Other guys would be St John, Welch, Askren, Howe, & Burroughs.

1230B9334D95529F38AA56

He killed a guy with a standing cradle!

Too many former guys to name.

Current DI wrestlers:

Fleming and Kilgore (he actually has a deviation of "Kill" in his name - plus it has"gore").

Glad there is someone on the board as old as I am to remember E the D. :)

And agree with Fleming, saw him wrestle multiple times in high school and that looked like it could be scary.