Sign in to follow this  
Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Denis Tsargush replaced by Aniuar Geduev

I know that FS 57, 61, 70, 74, 86 and 97 go Viktor Lebedev (Sakha-Yakutia), Alexander Bogomoev (The republic of Buryatia), Magomedrasul Gazimagomedov (Stavrapol krai and Dagestan), Aniuar Geduev (Kabardino-Balkaria), Abdulrashid Sadulaev (Dagestan) and Abdusalam Gadisov (Dagestan), maybe in 125 kg we will see Muradin Kushkhov of Dagestan or Bilyal Makhov of Kabardino-Balkaria.

In Greco-Roman i think 59 kg - Mingiyan Semenov (The republic of Kalmykia) or Stepan Maryanyan (Moscow oblast), 66 kg - Adam Kurak (Krasnoyarsk krai) or Artem Surkov (The republic of Mordovia), 71 kg - Yuri Denisov (Leningrad oblast) or Chingiz Labazanov (Leningrad oblast and Chechnya), 75 kg - Chingiz Labazanov (Leningrad oblast and Chechnya) or Roman Vlasov (Novosibirsk), 80 kg - Evgery Saleev (The republic of Mordovia), 85 kg - Davit Chakvetadze (Moscow oblast), 98 kg - islam Magomedov (Dagestan), 130 kg - Bilyal Makhov (Kabardino-Balkaria and Dagestan)

Edited by Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

So does 57 kg wrestler Musukaev. My friends in Kabardino-Balkaria complain the economy is very bad and the government isn't supporting their wrestlers enough and they end up going to clubs elsewhere or trying to wrestle for other countries. Kabardino-Balkaria is one of the less populated republics of the Caucasus and they often get overlooked but they have some serious wrestling talent.

Edited by manyak

Wonder if Dagestan could enter their best wrestlers as a country and still win the World Championships as a team?

Btw, I might have missed it, but is Tsargush hurt? Any word on 65kg Russian entry?

I think they could. They would have a good chance at least.

I asked Ivan FS on twitter who he would pick for a current team of all Dagestans and all Ossetians and he replied with the below line ups.

Osetya 2015
57 Tuskaev
61 Azyev
65 Ramonov
70 Tsabolov
74 Hachirov
86 Ktsoev
97 Baytsaev
125 Gatsalov

Dagestan 2015
57 Musukaev
61 Rashidov
65 Bekbulatov
70 Gazimagomedov
74 Gajhimagomedov
86 Sadullaev
97 Gadisov
125 Makhov

I think Dagestan is a bit stronger but I think both teams could have multiple champs and medals contenders and could compete for a team championship. quite an impressive concentration of talent. 

Wonder if Dagestan could enter their best wrestlers as a country and still win the World Championships as a team?

Btw, I might have missed it, but is Tsargush hurt? Any word on 65kg Russian entry?

Tsargush lost at Russian nationals. 

That's not their system, he had to wrestle in the tournament like every other guy and he lost to Yakub Shikhjamalov in the quarterfinal.

he's trying to make a point about how "unfair" the american system. he may still be bitter about Dake not making the team.

wasn't Tsargush going to wrestle in an international tournament after Russian Nationals to try to win back the starting spot but then conceded the spot due to injury? i could be misremembering message board chatter. 

he's trying to make a point about how "unfair" the american system. he may still be bitter about Dake not making the team.

wasn't Tsargush going to wrestle in an international tournament after Russian Nationals to try to win back the starting spot but then conceded the spot due to injury? i could be misremembering message board chatter. 

At least Dake has a strong track record of International success, clearly he's being robbed (insert sarcastic face here). 

Why is it that anyone who criticizes the system automatically HAs to be crying about Dake? I happen to think the system is flawed and that opinion has nothing to do with Dake and everything to do with wanting the best athlete to represent the U.S. after as fair a selection process as possible.

Anyone who saw the Flo feature in Reece Humphrey can hear straight from the horse's mouth how big an advantage being able to sit and wait is. And Reece had every reason to suggest otherwise since he was the guy doing the sitting and waiting. Maybe some of us like the current system, and that's fine, but to pretend that there's not a big advantage given to the top-ranked guy and nobody has any right to complain is ridiculous. I don't know of any other Olympic sport that chooses their national team the way USA Wrestling does. If JB was dead last in the seedlings of the mini tournament and Dake or Taylor were sitting at the top waiting, I'd feel exactly the same way.

if i remember correctly, staggler was posting quite a bit about Dake after the trials. way more so than the other fans who just didn't like the trial system in place. but if i'm wrong though my apologies. 

i like giving the returning medalists a big advantage but i can see why people would rather each year reset to an even playing field. i'd be ok either either method but lean towards the current system. there are so few American world medalists i think its a due reward. but again, no big deal either way. 

Not to rehash this topic again but since it's come up again and I feel strongly about it, if you want to confer an advantage to the medalist, maybe require that the contender beat the medalist not best of 3 but best of 5, or require the contender place at an international "qualifier" tournament after winning the best of 3. That would still be a big advantage commensurate with the benefit of the doubt you earn by having medaled before.

My issue is that the current system pits the top two guys unfairly which makes the outcome of the matches less meaningful or predictive of future performance at a world event. It's like requiring that the contender weigh in while the medalist doesn't have to make weight. Sure, the outcome is being decided on the mat, but.... Whatever advantage is given should not be an advantage that affects the wrestling itself. More hurdles and hoops before selection, fine. Giving one guy a physical advantage during the actual wrestling, not fine.

I think JB would beat Dake anyway even if they wrestled the next day after the mini tournament, so I'm not in any way suggesting Dake got shafted by the process this time. I have an issue with the philosophy behind the process itself, not the outcome of any particular weight class.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I asked Ivan FS on twitter who he would pick for a current team of all Dagestans and all Ossetians and he replied with the below line ups.

Osetya 2015

57 Tuskaev

61 Azyev

65 Ramonov

70 Tsabolov

74 Hachirov

86 Ktsoev

97 Baytsaev

125 Gatsalov

Dagestan 2015

57 Musukaev

61 Rashidov

65 Bekbulatov

70 Gazimagomedov

74 Gajhimagomedov

86 Sadullaev

97 Gadisov

125 Makhov

I think Dagestan is a bit stronger but I think both teams could have multiple champs and medals contenders and could compete for a team championship. quite an impressive concentration of talent. 

today Dagestan df. RNO-Ossetia (Bekbulatov df. Ramonov, Gadisov df. Baitsaev) in 2014 RNO - Ossetia better, but now Dagestan is very good! Gadzhimagomedov 74* Musukaev and Makhov of Kabardino balkaria, just they train in Dagestan camps

Edited by Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

How do you put the word unfair in quotations. The US qualifying system is a disgrace. You might as well tie weights to the challenger's ankles. There is no way to defend or excuse any system that confers a physical advantage on the incumbent wrestler. So is it that I am bitter about Dake or that the people who defend the current system are just not willing to admit that the qualifying procedures are seriously tainted because that would diminish from their favorite's accompliahments? No other contending nation does this. Of course had they then maybe Tsargush would be wrestling.   

Two of Russias national champs did not make the world team. Many countries use a combination of trials and international results to pick the team. The US just combined both into one.

When it was a straight trials- no advantage for previous medalists- people were upset about that too. Can't please everyone.