Sign in to follow this  
ConnorsDad

2015 Worlds Results and Discussion

Lampe wins 5-5 over North Korea.  I don't know how they gave her points for a throw after time ran out though.  Maybe it was a caution against North Korea but I don't think she was cautioned at all.  I'm a US fan but that was home cooking. 

Yes it was a caution and honestly well deserved.  You could see the judge hold up the caution and 1 but with the camera stationed where it is you couldn't see the chair.  Surprised the chair confirmed it but happy they did.  That is exactly when that call should be made.  North Korea did nothing but backpedal for 30 seconds straight without even a hint at a counter, tie-up, etc. to make it look like you weren't stalling.  We all know that people will protect a lead late in a match but you need to make some attempt to wrestle so that the other person has a remote chance to score.  North Korea did not and the officials for once got it right.  They will get it wrong more often than they get it right but this time it was a correct call.  North Korea would't have needed to do much to avoid that call but didn't do anything.

Honestly I wish the call would be made more often in Greco and sooner so as to encourage more action but that isn't how the Greco rules are currently set-up and it is much tougher to discern when someone is blocking or backing up in Greco and therefore much tougher to apply.

Gonna be fun to see if Assakalov comes right out of the gate with big throws against Ukraine in the Greco final tonight.

Another thing I enjoyed with Greco was all the "good ol' fashioned - junior high" headlocks that worked beautifully for points. Some of the wrestlers made it look so easy. 

Yes it was a caution and honestly well deserved.  You could see the judge hold up the caution and 1 but with the camera stationed where it is you couldn't see the chair.  Surprised the chair confirmed it but happy they did.  That is exactly when that call should be made.  North Korea did nothing but backpedal for 30 seconds straight without even a hint at a counter, tie-up, etc. to make it look like you weren't stalling.  We all know that people will protect a lead late in a match but you need to make some attempt to wrestle so that the other person has a remote chance to score.  North Korea did not and the officials for once got it right.  They will get it wrong more often than they get it right but this time it was a correct call.  North Korea would't have needed to do much to avoid that call but didn't do anything.

Honestly I wish the call would be made more often in Greco and sooner so as to encourage more action but that isn't how the Greco rules are currently set-up and it is much tougher to discern when someone is blocking or backing up in Greco and therefore much tougher to apply.

I'm shocked they did that.  I do agree that North Korea did nothing but backpedal for the last 45 seconds.  It's a shame the match has to end that way, but that's the chance you take when you try to stall and hold a lead.  It just looked like they put up the points after Lampe hit that throw a second or two after time ran out. 

I can't find the bracket, but the competitor list includes:

Asgarov

Gomez

Mohammadi

Ramonov

Novachkov

Chamizo

Safaryan

Garcia

Kaya (who beat Metcalf last year)

Mandakhnaran (last year's bronze medalist)

Sava (last year's bronze medalist)

Edited by Katie

Gomez-Asgarov round 2. Metcalf would have Kaya round 2, probably an Iranian in round 3, maybe Haislan in the quarters, and then the winner of Gomez, Asgarov and chamizo in the semifinals. Presuming he wins obviously. Good I t he sense that Metcalf is probably the best guy in his 1/4, but bad in the sense that if he does lose(say to Kaya) again, he's unlikely to be pulled into the repechage because a beast is on the other side of the semi, likely Asgarov.

EDIT: Yikes, didn't pay attention to the Iranian's name. Total brainfart. mohammadi is obviously a beast.

Edited by VakAttack

Gomez-Asgarov round 2. Metcalf would have Kaya round 2, probably an Iranian in round 3, maybe Haislan in the quarters, and then the winner of Gomez, Asgarov and chamizo in the semifinals. Presuming he wins obviously. Good I t he sense that Metcalf is probably the best guy in his 1/4, but bad in the sense that if he does lose(say to Kaya) again, he's unlikely to be pulled into the repechage because a beast is on the other side of the semi, likely Asgarov.

The Iranian (Mohammadi) is the current world number one. 

Also, there's no guarantee Gomez gets by Safaryan, the 2013 world champ.

Edited by Katie

To win gold, Metcalf will likely have to beat:

Lukacs - Hungary

Kaya - Turkey- he beat Metcalf last year

Mohammadi - Iran- current world number one

Garcia - Canada- last year's bronze medalist

Asgarov - Azerbaijan- Olympic champ as a teenager

Ramonov - Russia- last year's world champ

Edited by Katie