Katie

Metcalf & 65kg discussion

Guest Kingsland

Cletus's picture is right next to passive aggressive in the dictionary.

What was the general reaction from the crowd after Metcalf suffered another elimination, Cletus? 

You know that was part of the problem.   Disappointment all around, but also a ton of excuses.  After being gifted a win in round 2, the American's had the nerve to complain of a missed exposure against the Iranian.   There were groups of them complaining and claiming Brent won that match.   You know times like these I am embarrassed to be an American.   It was nothing more than sour grapes, Shiraz.   

Brent plain and simple got beat by the Chinese but the home cooking allowed us to advance.   I wont look a t gift horse in the mouth and turn away a worlds victory, but I was awfully quiet as the Chinese contingent expressed their displeasure.   But then when Brent is soundly beaten, USA is up in arms, complaining?   I had to leave.   It was too much for me to stomach.   

I returned to see the Iranian get pinned by the Cuban, and then the complaining started all over again.   Brent this, Brent that, no exposure call, unfair bracket, it's not fair, etc.   You would have thought we were at a women's sewing circle.   

I don't like to ruffle feathers, so generally I subscribe to the theory of diplomacy first, but this was too much.  

First of all, Brent being relegated to a spot on women's day was bad enough.  That one stung, but then to have my countrymen expose their ignorance and complete lack of sportsmanship, that gets my gizzard! 

USA needs to develop some class. 

Metcalf needs to get a turn on top. I know, easier said than done, but it seems to be right side single and left side high-c, that's about it. Decent counter with the pinch, but that's about it. You rarely see him score any other way. Mohammadi had a more well rounded game. 

Cletus, thanks for the updates on the ground. I did catch you on the stream in the background as I was watching here at home from my computer, and I could see the frustration. Which made me feel bad as I knew you were talked into going by a member of this forum as you were initially hesitant to do so. Hopefully you enjoy the remaining two days of the tournament. There should be some real great matches coming up. 

Katie, I think you have a point, about Brent's past World performances, but I think people believed he could medal because of his wins at the World Cup, his two Silvers at Ivan Yarigin, as we as some of his other note worthy performances. However, I believe that there are three problems with Brent. One he's a plodder, with a great gas tank 365 days a year. And when he wrestles at these other events, I believe his opponents don't always have their gas tank at their peak. So Brent wins through attrition. The 2nd thing is Brent's a plodder, in other words he does not have speed like Burroughs or some other people. Lastly I believe he's put so much pressure on himself to win at the World's, he basically puts himself in such a mental state he just can't be the Brent we all know and love. I hope Brent can find a way to the podium, but unless something changes, I don't think it'll happen for him.

Brent is a classic practice room world champion.  He can beat anyone when it doesn't matter, but under the lights, Brent has demonstrated time and again, he just does jot have what it takes to get it done.  And keep in mind this is the very best Brent we have ever seen.   The weight class was shrunk down to where it is optimum for him and the rules were changed almost as if they had Brent in mind and with hopes of him performing his best.   It really has hurt USA because with the old rules and added size of the weight class, we would have new blood in there by now competing for and likely capturing world hardware.   On one hand it is fantastic for those for us Metcalf fans because we have got to see his career extended, even if it was done artificially.   On the other hand, however, we've been robbed of wrestlers with higher ceilings than Brent, getting their chance.   Oliver for example is so drained from the weight cut, he is a shell of himself when he faces Brent.   Again, that good for us, but bad as well as ultimately Brent can't get it done at worlds.   

I have to admit, I will be happy with Pico as our rep next year, he has proven to be lights out in getting on world medal stands, at every level he's competed at.  .   

Anyone notice how stiff he appears at times; when he is unbalanced he looks awkward and out of position. This makes him vulnerable to snaps and when he misses his own shot (which isn't often enough-too much concern with hand fighting) he gets extended. 

And talk about under the radar- Italy in the finals through that lower bracket?

Edited by fullnelson

there are 15 capable guys at 65 chasing 4 medals. more when you add in multiple Russians, etc. Metcalf and a dozen other contenders go home disappointed every world championship. doesn't mean they aren't still contenders. 

gnarly weight class and an entertaining tournament. don't know what it is about Metcalf that gets people on both sides so wound up but whatevs. my money is on Metcalf to be the one to both qualify the spot for Rio and wrestle the weight, but we'll see. Metcalf has completely dominated the weight domestically so if anyone does beat him, he'll be pretty damn good too.

Most of the things posted about Brent on here are, as I see it, correct. I just dont think he is quite good enough. That being said, he is certainly not JUST a practice room wrestler. He has won many major matches under the bright lights at all levels of wrestling. He has just reached a level that may be beyond him ie hs state, hs national, collegiate, freestyle national, even international events. Just his best at worlds and olympics makes him about top 10-15 in the world. Not bad. Also, Pico was certainly not holding anything back and, if Brent tries again next year, Pico has no shot to beat him.

Katie, I think you have a point, about Brent's past World performances, but I think people believed he could medal because of his wins at the World Cup, his two Silvers at Ivan Yarigin, as we as some of his other note worthy performances. However, I believe that there are three problems with Brent. One he's a plodder, with a great gas tank 365 days a year. And when he wrestles at these other events, I believe his opponents don't always have their gas tank at their peak. So Brent wins through attrition. The 2nd thing is Brent's a plodder, in other words he does not have speed like Burroughs or some other people. Lastly I believe he's put so much pressure on himself to win at the World's, he basically puts himself in such a mental state he just can't be the Brent we all know and love. I hope Brent can find a way to the podium, but unless something changes, I don't think it'll happen for him.

Pretty accurate.  Metcalf doesn't have the technical diversity.  These other nation's have him scouted and, because he is so predictable, they can shut him down at the big meets.  It is completely accurate that these other nations train to peak at the big meet.  Sorry, that isn't the Dave Schultz, the NYAC Open, or even the Yarigan.  You can run the engine on overdrive for 12 months a year, which will get you some tournament golds during the season, but that mentality isn't the norm for gearing up for the ultimate test.  After so many years of that, breakdown is inevitable.

I wonder if Metcalf is his own worst enemy in a sense. He still utilizes the same grind and go game he used in college to wear guys down and win on his conditioning. In an event like the world championships where you get minimal rest time I wonder if the guys he loses to are so worn down they can't give the next match their all and end up losing due to fatigue. In this sense he ends up knocking himself out completely once the guys lose the next round. I think the same thing happened at his last showing at worlds, but maybe I'm just overthinking things..

Metcalf looked very much like a folk wrestler today trying to match up against truly elite freestyle wrestlers...

watching the chinese put his face in the mat repeatedly with snap downs made me think pico goes from even money to a favorite for the trials... particulalry if he continue to incorporate the leg attacks he showed in his bronze medal match at juniors

Why are we hitting the panic button now on Metcalf? We knew he only had an outside chance of a medal.   This is a very deep weight, and he lost a close match to the world #1.  If he were on the top half, he would probably be wrestling for a medal right now.  This was actually his best performance ever at the world championships with two wins.  He will very likely qualify the weight, and will once again have an outside chance of a medal.  Maybe he will get one (remember Adam Wheeler in 08 or Coleman Scott in '12?)  It will just take a good draw and an upset.  

The talk about Pico is very premature.  Maybe Metcalf loses to Pico, but that will require Pico jumping a level in the next 8 months, which is possible, but nothing to count on.  

I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong; I certainly do not intend to put out bad information here, especially when it applies to rules.  The author of the document referenced is a UWW qualified official and was selected to be one of the FS officials at the WTTs.  I also believe that he also cleared that document through USA Wrestling before publishing.  I also attended one of the USA Wrestling's Officials Education Programs this year and I remember them discussing points of contact for takedowns and 2 hands and the head on the mat met the criteria as long as the offensive wrestler was in control.

Is there a concrete interpretation on this?

A head and two hands is or is not a takedown?  What three points have to be down in this situation?  The head and both elbows?

I suspect that Brent is so dominant in the USA-- and has been since high school-- that he is freaked out by his losses at the worlds. Thus he gets himself tired psychologically and thus loses his biggest advantage, his awesome strength and conditioning.

Also, he is wrestling at 6 pounds below his college weight. Maybe the cut is too hard.

Of all 3 Metcalf matches today, the thing that disturbs me most is when he let China in on him with very few seconds left and put himself in that position.

Thought Brent's 1st period against Iran looked similar to the 1st periods of his first round losses to GEO and IRI in his other 2 Worlds that were one and done. No offense, no points. Lose anyway.