Katie

Metcalf & 65kg discussion

I suspect that Brent is so dominant in the USA-- and has been since high school-- that he is freaked out by his losses at the worlds. Thus he gets himself tired psychologically and thus loses his biggest advantage, his awesome strength and conditioning.

Also, he is wrestling at 6 pounds below his college weight. Maybe the cut is too hard.

Why do you suspect this?  Who has he beaten from the US that is near the level of the Iranian who just beat him?

Why do you suspect this?  Who has he beaten from the US that is near the level of the Iranian who just beat him?

--no one in the USA is like that guy. But he has beaten top international guys at the world cup and lesser tournaments.

the announcer is wrong as well, does he really look 35 for you ?! he is 23.

he took his info from this page. look at the picture, not the same guy you saw on the mat tonight

https://www.iat.uni-leipzig.de/datenbanken/dbfoeldeak/daten.php?spid=BA22A6ABA7AE11D78C530080AD02DA79

this is his correct profile

https://www.iat.uni-leipzig.de/datenbanken/dbfoeldeak/daten.php?spid=1FFE25F4E9084F36B3F4DF620B73C83F

that guy was "Morad Mohammadi" this one is "Ahmad Mohammadi". they are second cousins.

the announcer is wrong as well, does he really look 35 for you ?! he is 23.

he took his info from this page. look at the picture, not the same guy you saw on the mat tonight

https://www.iat.uni-leipzig.de/datenbanken/dbfoeldeak/daten.php?spid=BA22A6ABA7AE11D78C530080AD02DA79

this is his correct profile

https://www.iat.uni-leipzig.de/datenbanken/dbfoeldeak/daten.php?spid=1FFE25F4E9084F36B3F4DF620B73C83F

that guy was "Morad Mohammadi" this one is "Ahmad Mohammadi". they are second cousins.

If you told me he was 35, I would believe it.  But it makes sense that it's two different people, rather than a 35-year old.

I'm glad our athletes don't have the mentality some of these posters on here have! "Metcalf should hang it up," "Metcalf can't win at worlds, let someone else try." He just lost to the top ranked wrestler in the world by 1 freakin point, with a few questionable calls! Then that guy gets stuck by the hottest wrestler in the tournament so he's out. There are about 15 guys that could win this weight on any given day, and Metcalf is one of them. That Iranian just thumped Asgarov 15-5, and Metcalf lost to him by a single point. All of this "he puts too much pressure on himself" or "he just can't win at this level", over a 1 point loss and a tough draw. Wow. He has improved so much over the last 3 years, but if you can't see that when you watch him wrestle and all you choose to say is "another DNP" then I don't even know how to respond to that. He will be our guy in Rio, and he will have a damn good chance at bringing home a medal.

This weight is brutal tho. I remember for a long time 66kg was the toughest, deepest weight in the world. It may have been debatable recently what the toughest weight was, but I have no doubt that when looking at the accomplishments of everyone in this field that 65 is ABSOLUTLY the toughest and deepest weight again. Imagine it will only get tougher for the Olympics with some guys dropping down and others coming up. Unlike 97, 74, 86, where there is one guy or maybe two guys head and shoulder a love the field, nobody at this weight is completely separated from the pack. Just an awesome, awesome weight.

MA_wrestler

thanks for your clarity and stating once again the obvious

the are those on this board that write and talk about the guys that actually get on the mat

two different worlds

How funny is it that the passive aggressive Metcalf haters cite a 5-4 loss to the World #1 wrestler as "definitive" evidence that he not only isn't good enough to place in the World but that a Pico who wasn't able to do ANYTHING against him is all of a sudden the guy............................?

How funny is it that the passive aggressive Metcalf haters cite a 5-4 loss to the World #1 wrestler as "definitive" evidence that he not only isn't good enough to place in the World but that a Pico who wasn't able to do ANYTHING against him is all of a sudden the guy............................?

Add to that Pico lost to a guy at JR Worlds who is no where close to Mohammadi's level.

It does seem to me that only way that Mecalf medals is if he puts the perfect tournament together, like slay or Zadick did to win there medals.  We have enough evidence that he is not a top 4 wrestler in the world, despite the fact that he was a great NCAA wrestler and clearly the best the US has to offer at this weight.

Unfortunately, it looks to me like Mango and Lester fall into this category as well

It does seem to me that only way that Mecalf medals is if he puts the perfect tournament together, like slay or Zadick did to win there medals.  We have enough evidence that he is not a top 4 wrestler in the world, despite the fact that he was a great NCAA wrestler and clearly the best the US has to offer at this weight.

Unfortunately, it looks to me like Mango and Lester fall into this category as well

I agree with you regarding Metcalf.  He has not yet shown the ability to adapt.  He does the same things the same way and gets the same results; that worked in college in bouts determined by conditioning and control, but it hasn't resulted in a top 5 world finish in a style that rewards technical precision and explosive athleticism.  I am reminded of Keith Gavin a few years back--the best we had and a damn fine wrestler, but his skill set didn't translate to international greatness.

Lester had his time; two world bronze medals is an awesome career for a US greco man.  Mango, I feel, was hurt by the upsizing of the lightest weight class.

And this isn't knocking any great wrestlers who even at my best would all kick my ass with no trouble at all, just a fan trying to be objective and honest about what I've seen, which every fan has a right to do.