Katie

Metcalf & 65kg discussion

People saying Metcalf hasn't "added" anything are just ignoring reality.  The headpinch counter that he nearly/probably exposed Mohammadi on?  New additions to the game.  His sweep single (second takedown) against Mohammadi is also something he's added to his game.  Even his first take down wasn't really a "high c", it was closer to an ankle pick.  

People saying Metcalf hasn't "added" anything are just ignoring reality.  The headpinch counter that he nearly/probably exposed Mohammadi on?  New additions to the game.  His sweep single (second takedown) against Mohammadi is also something he's added to his game.  Even his first take down wasn't really a "high c", it was closer to an ankle pick.  

i just rewatched the match to see if maybe i was forgetting soemhting... his first TD was definitely a high crotch and he just happened to end up with the ankle... and that last TD off of a desperation shot... not sure i would call either of those new wrinkles...

nor would i call your head pinch counter much more than trying to hold off the shot... he never stopped dude's movement so, exposure was never really an issue... i guess if you call preventing the TD new, then maybe i can see your point...

again, i get the metcalf love... i really do, but, i just do not see anything but a folkstyle grinder in there, which, has it's place in the US...

Brent lost by one point to Mohammadi who has been a hammer for two years now, yet the crucifying he gets on here.....

I think the concern comes from 17th ranked China pushing Brent to the brink and probably deserving to have won (I'm not sure if a head and 2 hands equals a point or not so I cant't say for sure).   Either way, the Chinese coming right out and rag dolling Brent, snapping him to his face repeatedly, pushing him to his limit, and bloodying him up, seems to be where much of the concern is coming from.   The Mohammadi match was amazing, probably the best match Brent has ever wrestled, but it was still not enough to win over a guy who would be flat on his back and pinned a half hour later.   

I'm all for Brent getting his world level medal, but I just cannot continue to make excuses for him.   

Brent Metcalf is going to have his hands full next Olympic Trials.   Whether it's Pico, or Green, or a healthy Oliver this time, he is going to have to earn it.   I hope he can do it.   Personally I don't see him getting past Pico, but I hope he's able to find a way and I hope he wins that Olympic gold he's been telling us about, I just am not willing to bet anyone he accomplishes any of that.   Not based on what we've seen from him, year in and year out.   

the Mongolian dude wrestling for China wasn't ranked but he was still a beast. and Metcalf wasn't ragdolled, he hung tight with a monster and gutted out a win. 

the Uzbek Navruzov wasn't ranked either and crushed everyone on his way to the finals included pinning #8 ranked and gold medal contender Ramonov from Russia. Navruzov came within a hair of winning it all. 

we are back to that stupid territory where Metcalf is simultaneously over and under rated. no, he will never be a favorite to win a gold, or probably even medal. but no, he is not washed up, he is a contender, but so are a 20 other studs on the world stage. it is a crazy deep weight class and we should be impressed that Metcalf has been able to dominate the US and post competitive and often impressive results internationally.

ok continue with the passive aggressive trolling. i took the bait so it's obviously working. 

65 at trials will be a lot of fun. Pico, Green and Metcalf come with great storylines. Steiber and Oliver will be solid challengers. 

Next year I think Metcalf makes the Olympic team, but I don't think he'll win a medal. He'll be 30, which is the age when guys are past their physical primes. 

He also just doesn't have the body mechanics to be competitive for gold at 65kg. He's not quick. He's not athletic enough to pull off blast doubles or reshots. He can't outscramble other elite freestylers. He's not strong enough to win a snap-down and grind-out battle. His conditioning set him apart in college, but it seems at this level everyone is right there with him.  

At the world level, Metcalf is a just a solid, middle of the road wrestler. Maybe he'll get a dream draw at the Olympics and with a touch of luck win a medal. He probably won't. But that's okay. He's had a great career and has done things we can only dream about. 

Edited by Katie

Katie, I disagree. I think whoever wins the Trials at 65 will be a legitimate medal threat in Rio.

I do agree about Metcalf's age, but if he wins the American bracket (which is in Iowa, right?), he, along with many other countries have a shot to medal in Rio. It's 65. 

Katie, I disagree. I think whoever wins the Trials at 65 will be a legitimate medal threat in Rio.

I do agree about Metcalf's age, but if he wins the American bracket (which is in Iowa, right?), he, along with many other countries have a shot to medal in Rio. It's 65. 

If he makes the Olympic team I think he would have a shot, too. I just think his shot is slim.

Brent lost by one point to Mohammadi who has been a hammer for two years now, yet the crucifying he gets on here.....

Scored two point late to make it 5-4.  Mohammadi was never in danger.  

Edited by lu_alum

Scored two point late to make it 5-4.  Mohammadi was never in danger.  

Respectfully disagree lu alum. The match was 3-2 in favor of Mohammadi with about 25 seconds left in the match.

Mohammadi scored a TD at 5:38 for a 5-2 lead. Metcalf scored a TD at 5:54, making it 5-4, and was attempting a gut wrench as time ran out. Being ahead by a point and having the opponent trying to turn you in the closing seconds... I wouldn't exactly characterize that as "never in danger."

Other then MSU and Rossel, no one would take Metcalf over the field for the next five years. That's a long time and too many things can happen.  

FT, where did you ever get the idea I would "take Metcalf over the field for the next five years?"  I've never thought or posted such a claim. You just made that up.

Rooting for someone in a match does not equal picking him over the field for the next 5 years, but you know that, and you're just being a troll. 

For the record, I would take the field over most any American wrestler over a 5 year period. That's just too long of time, and too many opponents. For the next year only, I'd likely take Burroughs (and possibly Snyder) over the field, but that's about it.

As far as 65kg and America's pool of talent, right now I'd favor Metcalf over any of them. He's beaten everyone, and if anything has widened the gap. I would say today he is at his peak and can likely stay at that high level for the next 1-2 years, making him a favorite to represent USA in Rio. Not a given, of course and imho, the most likely threat to him would be from Pico or Steiber. But then Pico could still be growing and not sure about his or Steiber's weight in 2016. Russell and Oliver are good, but don't seem to do very well against Metcalf.

Green? That one is interesting, given his improvement. I just have my doubts about Green beating Metcalf, after cutting down to 65kg. Likewise Schlatter, who looked impressive as h*ll in his comeback... hard to imagine him getting down to 65kg.

So I think right now, Metcalf is the best in the USA at 65kg, and with a decent draw, would still be a medal contender in Rio.

Edited by rossel3

Not made up, an opinion based on the fact you are a die hard, overzealous, fierce, high-strung, galvanic, vehement Metcalf fan. Since you now are on record that you would not take Metcalf over the field for the next 5 years, I retract my statement. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Not made up, an opinion based on the fact you are a die hard, overzealous, fierce, high-strung, galvanic, vehement Metcalf fan. Since you now are on record that you would not take Metcalf over the field for the next 5 years, I retract my statement.

-------

And since I never made such a claim, besides retracting your statement, you could just say you made it up.

I'll try to be less galvanic in the future, so as to not get you confused.

I just watched Metcalf's match with China for the first time.  He was concussed during the match, and it was pretty obvious.  He took two headbutts that made him reel backwards, and spent much of the match tentative and moving around with poor balance.

The headbutts are around the :50 mark of period 1 and the 5:20 mark of period 2.

Around 3:45 of period 2 he takes a shot, misses and lands on his own face.