Katie

Metcalf & 65kg discussion

What was with Brent basically cruising from the 2:00 mark on? Did he forget that it's two periods with cumulative scoring and not best two out of three anymore? I like watching Metcalf wrestle, but that was really tough on the eyes.

That Chinese dude was a beast and was the Bizarro Metcalf.

That was a crazy finish.  A little new to freestyle rules.  To secure the take down both knees have to touch the mat simultaneously?  it looked like his right knee briefly touched around the 5:55 mark.

Never mind ignore my post Jeff cleared that up.  I missed that too.

That was a crazy finish.  A little new to freestyle rules.  To secure the take down both knees have to touch the mat simultaneously?  it looked like his right knee briefly touched around the 5:55 mark.

IIRC, it's either knee. The knee in the replay is China's. 

What was with Brent basically cruising from the 2:00 mark on? Did he forget that it's two periods with cumulative scoring and not best two out of three anymore? I like watching Metcalf wrestle, but that was really tough on the eyes.

That Chinese dude was a beast and was the Bizarro Metcalf.

Metcalf got in deep 2-3x after he had the lead. That was "smart wrestling", not "cruising" 

It looked like Metcalf's knee to me from the few seconds they showed the replay.  Regardless, Metcalf was very fortunate to win that match.  If it wasn't his knee, it was about as close to being a takedown without actually being a takedown as physically possible.  

If metcalf can beat no. 1 Mohammadi next round, I think he'll make it to semifinals to face Asgarov.

On the other side of the semis will Ramonov and the Mongolian.

Hats off to the Chinese wrestler. Total stud.

It looked like Metcalf's knee to me from the few seconds they showed the replay.  Regardless, Metcalf was very fortunate to win that match.  If it wasn't his knee, it was about as close to being a takedown without actually being a takedown as physically possible.  

Bring out the microscope to measure the molecules between Brent's leg and that mat.  Reminded me of Metcalf v. Dragon (my all time favorite h.s. match) with metcalf using complete mat savvy to hold on to a win by the skin of his teeth.  Ice water.

I didn't think his knee hit but I thought his head did while up on two hands.  The head can be a third point

Don't think they changed the rules.  But it could be how the Chinese wrestler framed the challenge.  The Chinese coach did not want to challenge if you were watching him.  Three international officials ruled in favor of America.   I'm buying a lottery ticket tonight.