Katie

Metcalf & 65kg discussion

I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong; I certainly do not intend to put out bad information here, especially when it applies to rules.  The author of the document referenced is a UWW qualified official and was selected to be one of the FS officials at the WTTs.  I also believe that he also cleared that document through USA Wrestling before publishing.  I also attended one of the USA Wrestling's Officials Education Programs this year and I remember them discussing points of contact for takedowns and 2 hands and the head on the mat met the criteria as long as the offensive wrestler was in control.

Looks like Cletus called it, no more than two matches. I'm sure he's heart broken over there. There's no bigger Metcalf supporter.  He had the shirt and the hat and everything. 

3 matches, so not quite. but i think everyone, mostly, had high hopes but realistic expectations. 

a lot of studs are leaving Vegas DNP at 65kgs. 

I think the problem for Brent is that he's put way way too much pressure on himself to do well at the World's. I've watched him many many times, and he usually has a gas tank and a half. But today, he seemed spent versus the Chinese and was not able to grind the Iranian into dust. I hate to say it, but it may be time to look toward someone else at 65Kg. And yes I fully understand that this year's 65Kg. Is beyond loaded, but it is what it is.

While everyone else was predicting a medal for Metcalf (and many said gold) I consistently pointed to his past performances at worlds. I did not see a basis for thinking he would medal this time around. I turned out to be right.  

Metcalf's improved a lot since he started training freestyle exclusively, and he's separated himself from everyone else in the US at his weight, and he's clearly world class. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be able to put it all together at worlds. I truly hope he can finally get it done in Rio.

Oh I thought he meant two matches and then he loses. Close regardless though. Just sad that Cletus went, wore the Iowa shirt, the full outfit with the hat and boots. Cheered his heart out as I could spot him on the stream. All for nothing. Another DNP. 

Yes that's exactly what i meant.   I expected Brent to win 2 and then be done.   I did call it exact (thanks to some home cooking in the China match) but I'll tell you, I'm not happy.   

Brent Metcalf goes down in flames yet again.   He essentially got beat by the Chinese and horsed by the Iranian who would go on to get pinned.   There's no silver lining in today's result.   This just plain stinks and that's why I didn't want to attend today.   

I was the first to say it 2 years ago when I saw Brent fading, his days were numbered.   But then the weight class changed and the rules were re written, all in his favor and it managed to give him new life.   But this is the end of the road for Brent.   He went to a razor thin decision vs a 16 year old Pico and today the Chinese gave us a preview of what Pico is going to snap him down next year (If Brent doesn't hang it up after today).   Pico may have held back and saved his best effort for trials next year, but I think the writing is on the wall.   Brent just cannot get it done at this level.   This is his 10th year on the senior level and he has barely 3 wins at worlds/olympics to show for it.    That just is not good enough.  

I admit it, I am pissed.   

I nearly got booted from the arena after I removed my Iowa colors and ripped them tho shreads, tossing them on the arena floor where they were kicked around and stepped on.   

I met some very nice people and we were all pulling for Brent.   I had a couple extra floor all access passes and I allowed 2 of my new friends unlimited access.   But whip me till it hurts, this expected result really stinks.  

Long Island Martin and Big, the pleasure was all mine.   I can't stand to be in the arena a minute longer so I have left.    

Brent if that was your final match, thank you for the memories.   If you are reading this Brent, you did your best, you gave it your all, you left it all out there, it just doesn't always work out.   The new blood will be a shot in the arm to USA come next year, and we can all look forward to improved results.   

CT..Step away from the bong and the lighter!

I was drunk when I posted this, but even drunk, it was pretty obvious Brent had an ice cube's chance in hell at placing.   

Tell me you aren't so naive, you actually believed Brent would medal.