Katie

Herbert & 86kg discussion

A circus?  More like a conglomeration of the best fighters on the planet.  Weidman, Dillashaw trash talkers?  No, just total bad ass fighters.

Sure, some great fighters are there as well, but to believe the goal is to actually make it about the best fighters is laughable.  

Remember, Askren isn't good enough yet.   He needs to prove himself first.  

Belfort, a washed up cheat just fought for the title.   

Their new Irish star needed an opponent when champion Aldo was injured.   Who did they choose between an in shape and ready to go Frankie Edgar or an out of shape and Mendez?  Mendez of course, they wanted the Irish fighter to win.   

Jones fails his pre fight cocaine test.   Is he pulled from the fight?  Of course not, it's swept under the rug and once the result is made public, after the fight, he is sent to rehab for ONE day in an effort at damage control.   

Their big Star Ronda Rousey threatens to kill her opponent in the cage and no backlash.   Anthony Johnson has an argument with a female at the gym and posts the account on social media, fined, must donate money to a women's shelter, etc.

Meisha Tate is given a title shot against above mentioned Rousey but then inexplicably has it taken away and given to a novice who stands no chance what so ever.   

Either you don't know MMA very well at all, or you don't know MMA very well at all and you've been learning from Katie.   

Edited by Cletus_Tucker

Sure, some great fighters are there as well, but to believe the goal is to actually make it about the best fighters is laughable.  

Remember, Askren isn't good enough yet.   He needs to prove himself first.  

Belfort, a washed up cheat just fought for the title.   

Their new Irish star needed an opponent when champion Aldo was injured.   Who did they choose between an in shape and ready to go Frankie Edgar or an out of shape and Mendez?  Mendez of course, they wanted the Irish fighter to win.   

Jones fails his pre fight cocaine test.   Is he pulled from the fight?  Of course not, it's swept under the rug and once the result is made public, after the fight, he is sent to rehab for ONE day in an effort at damage control.   

Their big Star Ronda Rousey threatens to kill her opponent in the cage and no backlash.   Anthony Johnson has an argument with a female at the gym and posts the account on social media, fined, must donate money to a women's shelter, etc.

Meisha Tate is given a title shot against above mentioned Rousey but then inexplicably has it taken away and given to a novice who stands no chance what so ever.   

Either you don't know MMA very well at all, or you don't know MMA very well at all and you've been learning from Katie.   

Are the best fighters in the world the UFC champs?  Yes or no?  

It is true about Makhov, though. Has hardly gotten any attention in MMA media. 

You would think they'd be hyping his rare accomplishment of a double world team (greco and Freestyle)

Nothing from the UFC hype machine but Ronda Rousey can beat a man made head lines yesterday

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ufc-dana-white-ronda-rousey-could-beat-a-man-but-it-should-never-happen-floyd-mayweather-090915

The UFC is about drama and appealing to the lowest form.   Actual MMA fans who wan tot see the very best compete are losing interest.   The UFC has become about everything not to do with fighting and everything to do with drama.   

Are the best fighters in the world the UFC champs?  Yes or no?  

heavyweight: probably but difficult to say.   I have a feeling Makhov will annihilate him but who knows.   

Light Heavyweight : No .    A guy who used to fight in the UFC is probably better than their champion

middle weight: Yes

Welterweight: probably not.   A guy with 10 losses strikes me difficult to get behind being the best in the world.   I'd have to see what he can do with Askren. 

Light weight: Not even close.   Khabib-Nurmagomedov eats his lunch.   He's already defeated the champion. 

Featherweight: Aldo is the best

Bantamweight: Tough to say.   Dillashaw looks very good but there's no saying he is better than Cruz

Flyweight Mighty Mouse is the best

Woman straw weight I have no clue who any of them are nor do I care

woman 135 Ronda is the best but terrified of ever having to go up 5 pounds to face Cyborg.   Probably their very best champion will not go up a measly 5 pounds to fight another woman but claims she can beat Mayweather.   

What's your point?

I love that Herbert refocused himself and went after another serious run at worlds and I suspect the Olympics next year as well.   I don't know that anyone expected him to beat Ruth and certainly not win a medal at worlds.  I can't say enough about his dedication and commitment.   I would love to see him be our guy next year, but lets be serious here.   The rest of the world is better.   Herbert got his world silver when no one knew anything about him but then immediately after he was scouted and his single was shut down.   He gets scored on, he gets out funked and scrambled, he gets horsed around, he just is not very good on the world level at his weight class.   There is no shame in that, he is the best we have.   But lets not get down on him for failing, he did the very best he can do.   

I love that Herbert refocused himself and went after another serious run at worlds and I suspect the Olympics next year as well.   I don't know that anyone expected him to beat Ruth and certainly not win a medal at worlds.  I can't say enough about his dedication and commitment.   I would love to see him be our guy next year, but lets be serious here.   The rest of the world is better.   Herbert got his world silver when no one knew anything about him but then immediately after he was scouted and his single was shut down.   He gets scored on, he gets out funked and scrambled, he gets horsed around, he just is not very good on the world level at his weight class.   There is no shame in that, he is the best we have.   But lets not get down on him for failing, he did the very best he can do.   

I usually don't agree with your posts, but this one is spot on.  Herbert was out of the sport and at a desk job, but decided to come back and give it another shot.  We need to support our team even when they lose and not just start accusing them of choking.  We don't prepare our athletes to compete at the international stage correctly by focusing on folkstyle, so we should be supportive even if they are unable to medal.  How many people are going to keep coming back and trying if we abandon them for coming up short?

Edited by Billyhoyle

heavyweight: probably but difficult to say.   I have a feeling Makhov will annihilate him but who knows.   

Light Heavyweight : No .    A guy who used to fight in the UFC is probably better than their champion

middle weight: Yes

Welterweight: probably not.   A guy with 10 losses strikes me difficult to get behind being the best in the world.   I'd have to see what he can do with Askren. 

Light weight: Not even close.   Khabib-Nurmagomedov eats his lunch.   He's already defeated the champion. 

Featherweight: Aldo is the best

Bantamweight: Tough to say.   Dillashaw looks very good but there's no saying he is better than Cruz

Flyweight Mighty Mouse is the best

Woman straw weight I have no clue who any of them are nor do I care

woman 135 Ronda is the best but terrified of ever having to go up 5 pounds to face Cyborg.   Probably their very best champion will not go up a measly 5 pounds to fight another woman but claims she can beat Mayweather.   

What's your point?

My point is you said the goal is to not make it about the best fighters...obviously it is about the best fighter since the best guys and gals in the world are either the champs or are on the UFC roster.     

I usually don't agree with your posts, but this one is spot on.  Herbert was out of the sport and at a desk job, but decided to come back and give it another shot.  We need to support our team even when they lose and not just start accusing them of choking.  We don't prepare our athletes to compete at the international stage correctly by focusing on folkstyle, so we should be supportive even if they are unable to medal.  How many people are going to keep coming back and trying if we abandon them for coming up short?

Thanks Billy, I generally don't agree with your either but this morning I liked one of yours.    Perhaps there's something in the air.  

My point is you said the goal is to not make it about the best fighters...obviously it is about the best fighter since the best guys and gals in the world are either the champs or are on the UFC roster.     

The best fighters search out the UFC, not the other way around.   The UFC searches out the best personalities and characters.   :Look at the abysmal reality show they have going where it's about how well can you talk or how many eye balls can you get to tune in.   They literally had guys blowing loads on peoples foods and then having the people eat it.   They literally destroyed several of the homes they stay in.   They have escaped in the middle of the night.  They have stole from the show.   These are all things you would hope they would not publicize and instead seek out the best fighters but instead, this is exactly what is encouraged.   They do not cater to actual fight fans, they cater to the MTV crowd who want to see the train wreck of events they have manufactured.   

I can't educate you here on this thread, but do some research yourswelf and you'll see you haven't been paying close attention. 

The best fighters search out the UFC, not the other way around.   The UFC searches out the best personalities and characters.   :Look at the abysmal reality show they have going where it's about how well can you talk or how many eye balls can you get to tune in.   They literally had guys blowing loads on peoples foods and then having the people eat it.   They literally destroyed several of the homes they stay in.   They have escaped in the middle of the night.  They have stole from the show.   These are all things you would hope they would not publicize and instead seek out the best fighters but instead, this is exactly what is encouraged.   They do not cater to actual fight fans, they cater to the MTV crowd who want to see the train wreck of events they have manufactured.   

I can't educate you here on this thread, but do some research yourswelf and you'll see you haven't been paying close attention. 

Considering how much you don't like it you certainly seem to be paying close attention.  Fact is the best fighters in the world fight in the UFC.  It's a business dude.  The name of the game is to get viewers AND have the best fighters.  It's not an amateur sport.  The UFC is doing both very well.  Don't like it, stop watching everything they put out.

Did anyone see Sadulaev vs Ganev live stream? I want to nominate the announcer for the worst announcer in any sport at any time in history. Here's his list of accomplishments:

1. Openly pondered the correct pronunciation of Sadulaev. Came up with:

Sadulev

Saduleev

Sadleem

and then just called him the Russian.

2. Repeatedly said the Russian is a good looking kid.

3. Did not seem to realize Sadulaev is the reigning world champ and probably p4p best.

4. Spoke admiringly of Sadulaev's strategy in taking down the Bulgarian and turning him.

5. When Sadulaev was up 8-0 he said "I think think the momentum is with the Russian".

Then during Snyder's match

1. Apologized for no knowing much about his opponent and then proved it by pronouncing Diaz "dee-az".

2. Talked about the genius strategy of pushing Snyder out to get a point as if the guy single-handedly invented the rule then and there.

3. Pondered whether Snyder would get two and one for his takedown and push out.

In two matches the announcer did something I didn't even think was possible. He announced both matches without using a single wrestling specific term. Said things such as "he grabbed his leg. Really strong" and "he got behind him and look at that got two more points".

They have to sell PPVs, that's how it works. It is still the class MMA organization, and I might add that they don't do freak show 600 lb sumo wrestler vs. 170 lb Japanese guy fights like they do in Japan.

Class MMA organization with no freek shows?   they do WWE wrestlers and washed up pro boxers who can barely speak their brains are so damaged. 

They've sold the most PPVs ever during the era of non MTV drama 

But I digress, we all have our own standard for what's real and what's manufactured.  

Considering how much you don't like it you certainly seem to be paying close attention.  Fact is the best fighters in the world fight in the UFC.  It's a business dude.  The name of the game is to get viewers AND have the best fighters.  It's not an amateur sport.  The UFC is doing both very well.  Don't like it, stop watching everything they put out.

Great strawman.  Remember, our disagreement is on whether Dana will be all over Sadulaev's nuts or not.   I'm telling you what it is.   You insist the best fight there, as if that somehow changes what it is.    Or if that's at all in dispute.   Now you want me to stop watching because you realize how uninformed you are on the spectacle of MMA.   How about you watch more and you wont need me to keep you up to speed?  It will probably make you feel a lot better about yourself. 

Sadulaev with the first period tech. When was the last time he wrestled a full 6 minute match?

He won in the semis over the Iranian, 6-1

Agreed though, he has been nothing short of absolutely dominant.   I can't wait for him to out grow the weight class and move to 97 kg.

Great strawman.  Remember, our disagreement is on whether Dana will be all over Sadulaev's nuts or not.   I'm telling you what it is.   You insist the best fight there, as if that somehow changes what it is.    Or if that's at all in dispute.   Now you want me to stop watching because you realize how uninformed you are on the spectacle of MMA.   How about you watch more and you wont need me to keep you up to speed?  It will probably make you feel a lot better about yourself. 

Wow are you always such an ahole?  I'd be willing to  bet I watch just as much as you.  Trust me, if Sadulaev showed an interest in MMA, White would be all over his nuts.  

Sadulaev with the first period tech. When was the last time he wrestled a full 6 minute match?

karimi (iran) in semi-final lost to him 6-2 in very close mache.he won aldatuv 2x champ 16-4 les than 3:30. karimi,s pre machs to semi was more difficult  tahn sadulaev. karimi is 2014 j champ and will be main rival for sadulaev for next year and surely will defeat him.