Katie

Herbert & 86kg discussion

I think it's fair to say Ruth wasn't at his best this year.  He's had a fair number of distractions.

We seem to have a lot of "potentials" here (Dean, Perry, Ruth, Dake Taylor) - all really good talent with the added up side to be able to sneak up on the international field I just hope that somebody breaks out from the pack for the Olympics.

KARIMI IS A BEAST! 

Who saw his bronze medal match? He's a force and I agree he will be around for a long time and making some noise.

Karimi beat (the hell out of) two former world champs in this tournament. Karimi tech-falled two former world champs. Come on!

How the hell do you wrestle Sadulaev? Tie him up and he throws you around, scramble with him and he scores every time, stall and he picks you apart. Seriously, what game plan do his opponents use?

Looked like he didn't want to embarrass his former countryman in the finals.

How the hell do you wrestle Sadulaev? Tie him up and he throws you around, scramble with him and he scores every time, stall and he picks you apart. Seriously, what game plan do his opponents use?

I had the same thought. He held back in the last minute. A head scratcher.

Speaking of that, what happened to the fireman's carry? Last year he hit it coming and going. This year I didn't see one. Did everyone figure out how to stop it or did he just mix up his game?

Did anyone see Sadulaev vs Ganev live stream? I want to nominate the announcer for the worst announcer in any sport at any time in history. Here's his list of accomplishments:

1. Openly pondered the correct pronunciation of Sadulaev. Came up with:

Sadulev

Saduleev

Sadleem

and then just called him the Russian.

2. Repeatedly said the Russian is a good looking kid.

3. Did not seem to realize Sadulaev is the reigning world champ and probably p4p best.

4. Spoke admiringly of Sadulaev's strategy in taking down the Bulgarian and turning him.

5. When Sadulaev was up 8-0 he said "I think think the momentum is with the Russian".

Then during Snyder's match

1. Apologized for no knowing much about his opponent and then proved it by pronouncing Diaz "dee-az".

2. Talked about the genius strategy of pushing Snyder out to get a point as if the guy single-handedly invented the rule then and there.

3. Pondered whether Snyder would get two and one for his takedown and push out.

In two matches the announcer did something I didn't even think was possible. He announced both matches without using a single wrestling specific term. Said things such as "he grabbed his leg. Really strong" and "he got behind him and look at that got two more points".

Absolutely the worst commentating I have heard, I had to turn the volume off mid-match, where did they find these two muppets.

Karimi looked great all day and gave Sadulaev his toughest match for a couple of years. A shame they did not meet in the Final. Sadulaev never looked as dominant as last year, despite the scores, but his dominance is still apparent and could last for a very long time.

Absolutely the worst commentating I have heard, I had to turn the volume off mid-match, where did they find these two muppets.

I think this was the same guy who yesterday couldn't figure out that a wrestler from PUR was Puerto Rican, and kept calling her as "Persian", despite the Hispanic surname.  I guess Persia has lots of people with Hispanic surnames now.  Oh and the Puerto Rican flag was visible on the scoreboard, so it's not like you couldn't have seen that.  He was terrible.  At least the French guy knows what he's talking about, even though he sounds like he's giving PBP from the moon.

I read on Russian web sites that the jet lag in general is a problem for them, both Gadisov and Sadulaev. Sadualev also said that he went easier on the final in the last minutes.

At the same time, the top theme for them seems in qualifying the weight for the Olympics. Winning a medal is important, but qualifying the weight seems the most important objective.

Its almost as if they are treating the Worlds as a chance to see how the process will go when they go to Rio so they can fine tune that.

I read on Russian web sites that the jet lag in general is a problem for them, both Gadisov and Sadulaev. Sadualev also said that he went easier on the final in the last minutes.

At the same time, the top theme for them seems in qualifying the weight for the Olympics. Winning a medal is important, but qualifying the weight seems the most important objective.

Its almost as if they are treating the Worlds as a chance to see how the process will go when they go to Rio so they can fine tune that.

Qualifying the weight is more important? I know what you are getting at, but that's going to be one of those after-the-fact assessments. Don't worry, we'll get him in Rio, and we qualified the weight, that's all the really matters.

Gadisov looked like he was barely holding it together on the podium. He looked dejected, even sad in a way that I didn't think was possible for a Russian men's freestyle wrestler. But now I am reassessing. Maybe it was jet lag. 

That is pretty weak... jet lag??

Out I'd not like they don't travel through multiple time zones just competing in Russia... New York is closer to Moscow than Moscow is to Siberia

Edited by Jim L

I agree with what others have said.  It would be understandable for the Russians to underperform -- they're not used to having to compete in the American hemisphere.

I don't believe that their main objective is to qualify their weights for the Olympics here.  They come to the worlds to win.

By the way, here's how Russians underperform through 4 weight classes: 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze, 1 DNP.

Sure, jet lag absolutely has to impact the foreign wrestlers.   

Think back to the US excitement for having the tournament on home soil and the perceived advantage.  With that in mind, obviously if the USA has an advantage to host the tournament, the visitors are at a disadvantage.  

Everyone should be at a similar disadvantage come next year in Brazil and we'll probably see different results. 

Somehow the point is that equally with the medals they are there to access how the jet lag, travel, time zones, etc affect their performance in preparation for Rio. I access from the interviews they are highly concerned with that there as it appears in almost every interview.

btw, Makhov also heavily complained about the jet lag few days earlier. He said that he was almost sleeping in his matches in Greco and was wrestling in automatic gear.

Gadisov did not say anything about jet lag, but Sadulaev said it heavily affected both of them in the afternoon. Gadisov only remarked he was very tired before the finals and could not defend properly.

Its normal though, the home country gets an advantage but the results are probably not representative of neutral territory. Its like the Russians won 6/7 gold medals on home soil. This is not realistic, even for them.

Edited by wfan24

You have to be faster than him and play the outside shot, barely any tie up game ala Burroughs.

Gadisov did not say anything about jet lag, but Sadulaev said it heavily affected both of them in the afternoon. Gadisov only remarked he was very tired before the finals and could not defend properly.

Sounds like they will come out to the Americas a lot earlier for Rio.

Karimi looked great all day and gave Sadulaev his toughest match for a couple of years. A shame they did not meet in the Final. Sadulaev never looked as dominant as last year, despite the scores, but his dominance is still apparent and could last for a very long time.

I agree 100% with you... Now here's the elephant in the room, Sadulaev move up? Vs Snyder? 

Jet lag is always going to be a factor when you are talking ten+ hours time difference and a long flight. I think they would have to come out a lot earlier to Rio to really beat it. I mean a month earlier. You can get by for ordinary tasks almost immediately, but to shake off the ill effects of a long flight and jet lag and get back to a normal rhythm takes a long time. I've always wondered how much that effects the US where we fly a long way and give ourselves only a few days to truly acclimatize. 

Somehow the point is that equally with the medals they are there to access how the jet lag, travel, time zones, etc affect their performance in preparation for Rio. I access from the interviews they are highly concerned with that there as it appears in almost every interview.

btw, Makhov also heavily complained about the jet lag few days earlier. He said that he was almost sleeping in his matches in Greco and was wrestling in automatic gear.

Its normal though, the home country gets an advantage but the results are probably not representative of neutral territory. Its like the Russians won 6/7 gold medals on home soil. This is not realistic, even for them.

Rio is one hour ahead of Penn State, one hour ahead of Ohio state, four hours ahead of Arizona States and six hours behind Dagestan. Advantage USA.