Katie

Snyder & 97kg discussion

No, I am a realist. He is a boy wrestling men. He beat a Jake Varner that won under the crappy ball grab rules. I would love to see him run the table, I just don't think it is in the cards this year. (boy was I dead wrong)

Edited by heelpick

Even your first post "cross your fingers" shows that you are largely relying on luck for him to get a medal. Do you think Burroughs or any of his fans care what kind of draw he gets? No, because Burroughs IS the bad draw! Maybe one day Snyder will be the bad draw too, but not this year.

Snyder opens with the Ukrainian, and has Azerbijan near by. Maybe If Snyder wins his first 2 he faces Azerbijan and who knows.

Armspin said Gayzumov is on the other half of the bracket? 

What I hate so much about the US program is we have to hope for favorable draws to win medals. The Russians, Iranians, and the likes of Azebaijan don't care what the draw is.

Nobody likes this, but how many are willing to take the steps necessary to allow us to compete with the rest of the world (phase out folkstyle and replace it with freestyle)?
Edited by Billyhoyle

Hoyle, forget it. Folkstyle will never be phased out. Whether I agree with your assertion that it will help or not is irrelevant. It just won't happen. The US does not have the coaching brain trust to keep up.

Then expect more of the status quo.  Once in a while we will have a supreme talent like Sanderson or Burroughs that can compete with the best from the rest of the world consistently, and we will also have the remarkable runs of guys like Cejudo, Varner (although he did have the bronze the year before too), Slay, etc.   

our institutions won't change, so, our athletes will have to... take inspiration from cejudo, pico, bey... make your goals your own and go for them... my boys don't talk about D1 championships, they talk about world medals... as it should be

Also I think mma poaches too many of our better athletes.

Interestingly, the two olympians who were poached from the 08 team were replaced by olympic champions in 12.  Pico is the first poach from MMA that will really hurt, although he probably would not be as developed as he currently is if not for the $$$ from MMA.  

I don't think we should replace folkstyle with freestyle. But I do think we should borrow from freestyle when it gets something right. Here are the things freestyle gets right:

1) push out

2) shot clock

3) no OT

4) ten point techs

These four rules have been really effective at forcing the action. I now prefer watching freestyle to folk.

I don't think we should replace folkstyle with freestyle. But I do think we should borrow from freestyle when it gets something right. Here are the things freestyle gets right:

1) push out

2) shot clock

3) no OT

4) ten point techs

These four rules have been really effective at forcing the action. I now prefer watching freestyle to folk.

This would make folkstyle more exciting (with the exception of no OT), but wouldn't help us compete in freestyle.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Even completely changing to freestyle would not help. The US does not have top notch technique coaches and we would still approach wrestling from a ground and pound style and we would still get crushed internationally.

It wouldn't be immediate, but after 10-15 years, we would be able to compete with Russia.  Keep in mind only a small region in Russia actually competes in wrestling, and we have far more people participating at the youth/HS level/University level. It is more about our guys not have a "feel" for freestyle, than a coaching problem.  

Looks like Azerbijian sent Gayzumov after all, maybe listing Sharifov was some kind of bluff tactic? Sadly it looks like Gayzumov and Gadisov, both of last years finalists, will meet in the quarters this year. The winner there should win the whole thing. Unlike 65, this weight is top heavy, with two or three guys significantly above the rest who would win it regardless of the draw every time. At 65 if we wrestle that tournament 10 times we would get 10 different outcomes, not much separation among the top 10-15 guys.

I think Georgia will make the semi against Gadisov or Gayzumov, the probably lose the bronze medal bout again.

The big question mark for me on the bottom half is how good is the Iranian that is here in place of Yadzani? Tahan is the entry, I'm not very familiar with him but an Iranian poster on here said to keep an eye on him. Being opposite the two big guns at this weight, he has a real chance to make a run to the finals. He will have that extra match being at the very bottom of the bracket, so we'll see how that plays out.

Snyder has a tough draw, Olynik won bronze two years ago and is the Ukrainian rep over last years bronze winner, so he's legit. The winner there has a tough entry from Poland next. Not a great draw for our young phenom, but I like his chances where he is better than if he had the big two in his path!

Even completely changing to freestyle would not help. The US does not have top notch technique coaches and we would still approach wrestling from a ground and pound style and we would still get crushed internationally.

This is nonsense.  The US has plenty of top level technique coaches.  Zeke Jones was named the most technical wrestler in the world.  John Smith is known world wide for his technique.  Cael is a great technician.  Slay is not a technique guy that should be teaching our wrestlers technique.  

The problem is simply that our wrestlers spend half of their time working on technique that isn't applicable to freestyle. By the time most of our wrestlers enter freestyle full time they've had half of the freestyle training as another country's wrestlers, and developed bad habits along the way (funk)