Katie

Snyder & 97kg discussion

I don't know. NCAAs might seem like small potatoes to him now.

It's a little like looking back on your high school state tournament after winning NCAAs. Probably not a big concern anymore. 

Ok, to be fair, he did skip his sr year of high school to go to the OTC. But I would wager he wants at least one NCAA title. Just because.

That finals match was electric to watch! So proud to be an American and root for Snyder, you can just see the passion this guy has for wrestling. Many were claiming his youth and lack of experience would never get him a gold medal against the Russian. Looks to me Kyle Snyder didn't get the memo. Hopefully this will motivate all his teammates tomorrow that great things can be achieved.  

Where is the foreigners talking **** earlier? Hey Shiraz you have nothing to say now? Figures. Mouth

Honestly, I didn't think Snyder would beat Gadisov, either.

I didn't even think Snyder would win a medal of any kind this year. I was totally on board with the idea that he was on track to win a medal in the next few years.

But winning a gold tonight was just not on my radar. i don't think anybody predicted it two days ago.

Edited by Katie

Honestly, I didn't think Snyder would beat Gadisov, either.

I didn't even think Snyder would win a medal of any kind this year. I was totally on board with the idea that he was on track to win a medal in the next few years.

But winning a gold tonight was just not on my radar. i don't think anybody predicted it two days ago.

Yea you weren't alone theret but this Shiraz character gave him a 0% chance in finals and was most likely upset that his prediction didn't come true, nothing but negativity from that guy

I am actually not surprised Gadisov lost a close match...as I wrote he has incredible mental lapses. Snyder is good, but Gadisov has lost at least 4 matches like that...5:40 to go, leading and manages to lose. All he had to do was play defense, run around, get warnings and win it, like so many others do. How he manages to lose these matches like that at the end is something else. I don't think I've ever watched a wrestler lose that way so often.

Note that even his world gold last year, was controversial with Ahmedov, he basically lost the semifinal in a similar way.

Kyle attacked the right leg/ankle to win vs Gadisov...all his other match picks were to the left that I remember I think he set him up,,,and BTW the guy he beat in RD1 has maybe the greatest defense in the world KYLE SNYDER IS THE MAN

That match was absolutly incredible! So worth staying up late and going to work on 4 hours of sleep. Snyder's low, quick leg attacks for a guy his size are awesome! Solid positioning, great defense, and how bout composure and maturity beyond his years! In a dog fight with the defending champ from Russia on the biggest stage imaginable and the kid comes up clutch, wow! Can't say enough about this kid, 19 year old world champ says it all! Can't wait to watch him for the next 10 or more years! What a shot in the arm for USA wrestling to have this kid and that win, just incredible.

Nobody can make any excuses either. He beat the best of the best, can't say it was an easy draw or any nonsense like that. I admittedly wasn't sure if he was ready to go with the he elite at this weight, the likes of Gadisov and Gayzumov, but he answered that question quick! Even if you throw in a healthy, but still again, Yazdani next year, or the Turk from last year, Snyder will be one of the favorites in Rio. I a,ready can't wait for this weight next year and can't wait to see how much better Snyder can get! He's so young and still learning, I don't think we've come close to seeing the best that this kid has to offer, and that's a scary thought for the rest of the world!

i don't think there are any excuses, Snyder is impressive, no doubt. He beat some tough competition: UKR, Iran and Russia. This is no fluke. He is a tank.

However,  the match ended 5:5 and was on home soil for him with the winning points coming 15 sec to go. From  what I read in Russian interviews, Gadisov was extremely tired before the final for some reason. Sadulaev also remarked that the afternoon matches were much more difficult for them than earlier matches due to jet lag.

Also, surprisingly, Russian coaches were not too worried and said that the same match anywhere else would end differently. Some say ,its good for Gads as at Euros he finished 3rd and now he is 2nd.

In general, I noticed that the Russian coaches were much more concerned whether they qualified the weight than whether they won a title. Some even referred to the worlds as a 'licensing championship' and as a place to fine tune their Rio preparation, such as jet lag, travel, etc, as it has roughly the same time difference. It is clear the Russians place much more weight on the upcoming Olympics than the worlds this year from all the interviews I've seen. Even all the athletes start their interviews with saying they qualified he weight.

So I would not be surprised if Gads and Sadulaev both look much better in Rio (if they qualify). In fact, the losses this year are probably good for Gads, once he loses, he tends to do better later.

Edited by wfan24

If this has been brought up before, please forgive me for asking again (crazy me, but I have a life and cannot get to every post and thread).  Does Snyder get to keep the $250 grand bonus?  Can it be placed in trust for him until his eligibility is up?  Anyone will a definitive answer, much appreciated.

The thing with Gafisov is... This has happened before. Vs Yazdani at the Olympics. Vs Boltukaev at nationals. Vs Ahlmedov at worlds (saved by the bell there). Late collapse vs Herbert at worlds. There is a definite pattern of giving up a late lead.