Katie

Snyder & 97kg discussion

That he spent 6 of the 12 months, in the runup to this world championship, wrestling folkstyle is a narrative that some don't like.

At any rate, that was a great post-triumph press conference. Ohio State fans cannot hold him to the comment of his coming back to wrestle in the NCAAs for TOSU. He will (and should) do what he feels in his best interests. I'll be a fan regardless.

That he spent 6 of the 12 months, in the runup to this world championship, wrestling folkstyle is a narrative that some don't like.

At any rate, that was a great post-triumph press conference. Ohio State fans cannot hold him to the comment of his coming back to wrestle in the NCAAs for TOSU. He will (and should) do what he feels in his best interests. I'll be a fan regardless.

I agree, things may change. And in fact what he said was "I plan on it" and then went on to talk about the value of education and getting a good job after college. I for one think that he's proven to himself that he can win an NCAA and a world medal while in school, while taking classes all in the same year. So he takes an Olympic redshirt and comes back. He has no doubt he CAN do it all, so why leave school and risk being looking back and saying "damn, I had a free education, why didn't I just get my degree?" 

in spite of the 6 months wrestling a stall fest, he was still able to overcome that and win a world championship...

if he ever learns par terre he will truly be a monster... if he could end a match after 1 take down how frightening would that be for his opponents?

in spite of the 6 months wrestling a stall fest, he was still able to overcome that and win a world championship...

if he ever learns par terre he will truly be a monster... if he could end a match after 1 take down how frightening would that be for his opponents?

What you are describing is Sadulaev, so very, very frightening. 

I've always admired the way Gadisov controls the ties and gets to his shots.  Snyder shut that down with working the head and constant snapping. Easy to say, hard to do.  Gadisov just didn't have a real solution.  Besides his great defense, Snyder's ability to instantly re-attack is one of those assets which keeps him dangerous at every moment.   He beat the Iranian and the Russian.  Can't ask for a more decisive statement than that. 

Tiger, Gadisov won last year on talent alone.  Almost lost.  He is NOT a clutch wrestler.  Again, stop thinking people are making excuses.  Saying he was hurt or that he had a bad night's sleep would be making excuses.  Commentary on his mental lapses is not an excuse.  It is a critique.

silver-medal, I am not saying nonsense, I posted a comment by Gadisov. IMO, home advantage is a huge thing, esp against Gads who is mentally unstable.  And I don't think Snyder has really been scouted yet.  He will be now.

Look at Burroughs vs. Tsargush, yes, he was not 100%, but in Tashkent, Tsargush whipped him badly. Someone looking at the score would think this was a blow out. Yet, in a neutral territory, with Burroughs in top shape, its a completely different story.

The comment about being so tired was also by Sadulaev who won his match 6:0. He said that him and Gads had a much harder time wrestling in the afternoon than they did in the morning. You can even see it in the match between Gads and the Georgian, Gads was sucking air, unlike his earlier matches.

I think Snyder is great and what he did was awesome. But he did not win like Sadulaev last year where it was really insane domination. Here, most of his matches were super close and final could go either way.  So I think that when he is scouted, in neutral territory, say Rio, chances are Gadisov will beat him. This is why I think the Russian coaches were not worried too much.

This has nothing to do with taking away anything from Snyder, its the same I'd say JB would likely beat Tsargush in a neutral territory even though Tsargush folded him in Tashkent last year.

silver-medal, I am not saying nonsense, I posted a comment by Gadisov. IMO, home advantage is a huge thing, esp against Gads who is mentally unstable.  And I don't think Snyder has really been scouted yet.  He will be now.

Look at Burroughs vs. Tsargush, yes, he was not 100%, but in Tashkent, Tsargush whipped him badly. Someone looking at the score would think this was a blow out. Yet, in a neutral territory, with Burroughs in top shape, its a completely different story.

The comment about being so tired was also by Sadulaev who won his match 6:0. He said that him and Gads had a much harder time wrestling in the afternoon than they did in the morning. You can even see it in the match between Gads and the Georgian, Gads was sucking air, unlike his earlier matches.

I think Snyder is great and what he did was awesome. But he did not win like Sadulaev last year where it was really insane domination. Here, most of his matches were super close and final could go either way.  So I think that when he is scouted, in neutral territory, say Rio, chances are Gadisov will beat him. This is why I think the Russian coaches were not worried too much.

This has nothing to do with taking away anything from Snyder, its the same I'd say JB would likely beat Tsargush in a neutral territory even though Tsargush folded him in Tashkent last year.

you lose credibility just by saying, " he folded him" and "he whipped him badly", really? 

Nice video on Flo showing Kyle Synder join Jordan Burroughs and the Nebraska guys for a run up Pike's Peak while at OTC before the Worlds.

Then sure enough, both guys win Gold. Too cool, especially after hearing some of JB's comments on the mountain.

they went up the incline... sometimes referred to as the cog... an old railroad that has become a trail... 2000' of elevation change in about .8 of a mile... average grade 48%... as steep as 77%... starts about 6000'... ends around 8000'... mind you all those #s are from memory and could float a little either way...

it is quite the workout... blasts those lungs right out of you... 

BTS vs. Sadualev (from this thread) would be awesome, but we've seen how "seriously" the Russian team has taken events like this in the past, so who knows what the match will turn into.

I'm more excited to see how Snyder's wrestling progresses from here. Not taking anything away from his performance by any means, but the downside to a newcomer taking worlds by storm is that he'll definitely be scouted thoroughly from here on out. Same goes for Chamizo, in many ways. Hopefully, Snyder responds to his opponents' scouting and prep more like Jordan Burroughs than say, Jake Herbert.

Any idea what his next international event might be?

BTS vs. Sadualev (from this thread) would be awesome, but we've seen how "seriously" the Russian team has taken events like this in the past, so who knows what the match will turn into.

I'm more excited to see how Snyder's wrestling progresses from here. Not taking anything away from his performance by any means, but the downside to a newcomer taking worlds by storm is that he'll definitely be scouted thoroughly from here on out. Same goes for Chamizo, in many ways. Hopefully, Snyder responds to his opponents' scouting and prep more like Jordan Burroughs than say, Jake Herbert.

Any idea what his next international event might be?

Probably the Golden Grand Prix in baku, azerbaijan over thanksgiving weekend

and chamizo was very well known internationally, he is a past world bronze medalist in 2010 and won the euro U23, and placed 2nd at the euro games, and he won the ziolkowski tournament where he beat ramonov just a few weeks before worlds

Edited by newyorkwrestler