Sign in to follow this  
Katie

19-year-old Snyder in world finals

Guest Kingsland

I'm rarely in favor of someone foregoing a free college degree, but I think he should stick to freestyle. He has the potential to be one of the GOATs.

Either that, or Snyder is simply on a different level than the other cadet and junior world medalists... yes... having the best training partners in the country will ALWAYS help, but in the end, our dear sport is still an individual competition... and K. Snyder has some "individual qualities" that can't be taught or trained... he is clearly, and simply, that good, and at that weight... and at that age... awesome stuff indeed.

Will he ever wrestle another college match if he wins tonight? Tough call but my guess us he wants that ncaa title too.

Especially with the way his finals match went in March.  I'm sure, after his Olympic redshirt and hopefully Olympic medal, he'll relish the opportunity to redeem himself on the NCAA stage.  John Smith had no issue winning world titles while still competing in college.

Of course he will. Everyone wants to be a 3x NCAA champ.

well played

I hope you're wrong. 

HIs path appears to be fine. God forbid he gets a degree along with his athletic accolades. 

Edited by denger

well played

I hope you're wrong. 

HIs path appears to be fine. God forbid he gets a degree along with his athletic accolades. 

Other things to consider.  His endorsement potential, winning a world title going into an Olympic year, makes it difficult to maintain NCAA amateur eligibility.  If I were Snyder, I'd sign-on as a resident athlete at the tOSU regional training center.  He could collect a salary, earn endorsements and still get his degree.

Other things to consider.  His endorsement potential, winning a world title going into an Olympic year, makes it difficult to maintain NCAA amateur eligibility.  If I were Snyder, I'd sign-on as a resident athlete at the tOSU regional training center.  He could collect a salary, earn endorsements and still get his degree.

You think he is going to turn down 100K. Isn't that what we pay our world champs? 

He and Coach Ryan did an interview with Flo after the trials and explained those concerns away for the next year at least - the Olympic redshirt and what it means for him financially. 

I'm curious about how much money there is for a wrestler in terms of endorsements, etc.(?) I'm sure that number much bigger if he wins again next year, but still, our sport doesn't get the mainstream attention that even boxing gets. I'm sure we all want what's best for Snyder, and I'm sure the people closest to him are keeping track of the numbers surrounding that. 

You think he is going to turn down 100K. Isn't that what we pay our world champs?

Where did I say he'd turn down money? My post suggests that he should consider giving up his collegiate career because he can't earn endorsements and maintain NCAA eligibility. This has been the case with many of the US's female swimmers.

well played

I hope you're wrong. 

I hope he still wrestles in college but I always have to remind folks who say things like this....... you do realize it is possible to get a college degree without wrestling in college, right? Really. Even Cejudo ended up getting is degree.

Garrett Lowney didn't exactly do anything big, at least up to the hype he received after he won an Olympic medal.  Same weight class as Snyder too.  There was no way Lowney would make 197 in college, so he just wasn't cutting while wrestling heavyweight.  Had a few AA finishes but people were saying he would be an NCAA champion.  Of course he was in the same weight class as guys like Mocco and Rowlands.  So I would say that even though Snyder is the best in the world at 213 lbs, he's no lock or guarantee to do anything like win even one NCAA title.  I don't think he would have beaten Gwiz this year or even come close.  In a few years Coon or Hall will be up there, and I don't think Snyder giving up that much size will be able to beat them in college. 

Where did I say he'd turn down money? My post suggests that he should consider giving up his collegiate career because he can't earn endorsements and maintain NCAA eligibility. This has been the case with many of the US's female swimmers.

I didn't think he could take any money and maintain eligibility. At least that was my understanding of the NCAA rules. I could be completely wrong. 

I didn't think he could take any money and maintain eligibility. At least that was my understanding of the NCAA rules. I could be completely wrong. 

My understanding of the rulebook is that he can only accept a stipend that would offset the costs of his training (all expenses must be documented).  He can't be provided money to compete (such as the living the dream fund), except for the gold medal fund that all american olympic athletes get (not the living the dream fund).  

If he accepts the 50k for his world gold, it will probably be the end of his eligibility, which begs the question of whether we have seen Kyle Snyder wrestle in the NCAA for the last time.  

My understanding of the rulebook is that he can only accept a stipend that would offset the costs of his training (all expenses must be documented).  He can't be provided money to compete (such as the living the dream fund), except for the gold medal fund that all american olympic athletes get (not the living the dream fund).  

If he accepts the 50k for his world gold, it will probably be the end of his eligibility, which begs the question of whether we have seen Kyle Snyder wrestle in the NCAA for the last time.  

Could he maintain his eligibility if he put the money in a trust fund? If he gave it to a family member? If he donated it? 

Could he maintain his eligibility if he put the money in a trust fund? If he gave it to a family member? If he donated it? 

I'm not an expert on NCAA rules, but I do not think any of these would be allowed.   I have no idea how the recent O'Bannon case affects any of this though, since the rules have become a bit more relaxed now.  

Garrett Lowney didn't exactly do anything big, at least up to the hype he received after he won an Olympic medal.  Same weight class as Snyder too.  There was no way Lowney would make 197 in college, so he just wasn't cutting while wrestling heavyweight.  Had a few AA finishes but people were saying he would be an NCAA champion.  Of course he was in the same weight class as guys like Mocco and Rowlands.  So I would say that even though Snyder is the best in the world at 213 lbs, he's no lock or guarantee to do anything like win even one NCAA title.  I don't think he would have beaten Gwiz this year or even come close.  In a few years Coon or Hall will be up there, and I don't think Snyder giving up that much size will be able to beat them in college. 

Snyder would win Heavyweight with one arm tied behind his back.JK.  His non cutting fit weight he said was 220. That is big enough with his talent. I would say big favorite over Gwiz. And he has beaten Coon head to head in High school.Stop underestimating this guy. He has improved a lot in the last year and next year he would be unstoppable even at heavy. Varner was majoring the heavyweight champ in the ISU room and also beat the Rowlands a two time heavyweight champ at trials. Heavy is weak! Snyder would own them! Football has watered down the heavyweight class.

Edited by PRyan2012

Snyder would win Heavyweight with one arm tied behind his back.JK.  His non cutting fit weight he said was 220. That is big enough with his talent. I would say big favorite over Gwiz. And he has beaten Coon head to head in High school.Stop underestimating this guy. He has improved a lot in the last year and next year he would be unstoppable even at heavy. Varner was majoring the heavyweight champ in the ISU room and also beat the Rowlands a two time heavyweight champ at trials. Heavy is weak! Snyder would own them! Football has watered down the heavyweight class.

He had four losses at 197 lb last year, so he would not be a huge favorite if he could make 197

In folkstyle I say he is underdogs to Gwiz and Coon.

And if we are bringing HS matches, he did get beat by Cox when they both were in HS.