Katie

Burroughs & 74kg discussion

I've watched nearly every JB match internationally and I can say without a doubt that was one of the worst matches he has ever wrestled at the international level. If you watched closely he only took 2 true shots the entire match...double leg that scored and low single that the polish guy easily stepped out of. His first TD was off polands offense.

I don't know if it's first match jitters or if there is something wrong but JB needs to come out a lot stronger in his next match or he won't even make it to the Russian.

I agree JB didn't look great, what was harder to tell was what was going on. It's good to hear that he was up against a solid opponent, perhaps underrated. I also like Heelpick's point. It's a good wake up call. Don't look past ANY wrestler. That was Dan Gable's point as to why Slay beat Satiev for those of you who didn't see that. Gable said that he felt that Satiev was the better wrestler but he was looking past Slay while Slay was focused 100% on Satiev. Given it was Satiev this was hardly a controversial or for that matter anti-USA comment.

Burroughs is the second best wrestler in the world, and probably the first most scouted.  Expect close matches against savvy, incredibly talented and well coached wrestlers, until he can dominate in par terre. 

I buy that. These guys are wrestling to tie him up but JB seems tentative. He's not re-attacking in spots where you'd expect him to. 

JB is not wrestling his A-game. No  way, no how. Into the break yeah he is winning 8-0 but it wasn't pretty till that lace.

It's kind of hard to wrestle pretty when your opponent is purely trying not to get scored on while relentlessly slapping you. 

Sadulaev seems like the best wrestler in the world to me, but this isn't the time/place for that argument.  The most impressive thing about Jordan Burroughs is that he is still driving himself to improve tremendously, despite or maybe due to facing the challenge of being heavily scouted and planned for.