Katie

Burroughs & 74kg discussion

I like that about JB too. He's making it fashionable in the US to be a gazillion time world champ. It's amazing that we've had a 6-timer and a few three timers and that's it. We've also had the guys like Bruce Baumgartner and Dave Schultz who wrestled forever but there's not a lot of them. Maybe JB wins 7x or 8x and Snyder follows and they inspire a generation of kids who want to win six or more. I'm not even sure in the US that's a goal for very many.

Burroughs always starts slow. Add to that the fact that he's likely the most scouted wrestler on the planet, and that many guys go in there with the sole intent of keeping their loss close, and I don't think an early close match is anything to be concerned about.

74kg quarters look like this:

Top-

Unranked France vs. Unranked Mongolia

#9 Lopez (Cuba) vs. #19 Yadav (India)

Bottom-

#2 Geduev (Russia) vs. #8 Kurbanov (Uzbekistan)

#1 Burroughs (USA) vs. #11 Ghasemi (Iran)

That's how I took it too.

if you look at what those 3 wrestlers have done the past 2 years, it is no contest

Snyder world junior silver, senior gold 

Burroughs World bronze, semi finals today, got taken down to open the tournament

Sadulaev world gold, world gold - has not been taken down at either tournament

If you go by the eyeball test, Snyder, very pedestrian on top, Burroughs sluggish all day and against lower level opponents, or Sadulaev, annihilating the opposition from all positions, looking like a runaway locomotive out there, there really is no comparison.   I'd love to see him grow and end up at 97 kg.  

if you look at what those 3 wrestlers have done the past 2 years, it is no contest

Snyder world junior silver, senior gold 

Burroughs World bronze, semi finals today, got taken down to open the tournament

Sadulaev world gold, world gold - has not been taken down at either tournament

If you go by the eyeball test, Snyder, very pedestrian on top, Burroughs sluggish all day and against lower level opponents, or Sadulaev, annihilating the opposition from all positions, looking like a runaway locomotive out there, there really is no comparison.   I'd love to see him grow and end up at 97 kg.  

Excellent analysis. It's not even close. Today.

However, Snyder really isn't anything on top, pedestrian or otherwise. I hope he watches some Sadulaev tape and asks himself "hey, why can't I do that?" Since he seems to achieve anything he sets his mind to, maybe he can develop the kind of par terre we see in Sadulaev. And by the way, one very good reason to do it is because you end of wrestling about two minutes versus your lesser opponents. As a tournament tactic, I can't think of a better plan.

Excellent analysis. It's not even close. Today.

However, Snyder really isn't anything on top, pedestrian or otherwise. I hope he watches some Sadulaev tape and asks himself "hey, why can't I do that?" Since he seems to achieve anything he sets his mind to, maybe he can develop the kind of par terre we see in Sadulaev. And by the way, one very good reason to do it is because you end of wrestling about two minutes versus your lesser opponents. As a tournament tactic, I can't think of a better plan.

Agreed. As of now, I'd rank p4p this way:

1- Sadulaev

2- Burroughs

Damn I missed it, how do I see a replay?

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/event/world-championship-senior-1

Use this link.  Then click on mat b on the right hand side of the page.  Burroughs / Nagy should be at the 4:03 mark of the live steam if that is the match you were looking for.  All matches should be available under either mat a, b, c, or d.  It is just a matter of finding what time the match your looking for was as we are currently 5 1/2 hours in. (match 845)

Edited by Heisenberg

JB is a true winner. Who didn't leap up when he got that takedown and then fended off Geduev (an incredible athlete and wrestler) to win it. And the PURE JOY from the crowd, from Burroughs. What a moment. 

The only thing, the ONLY thing is that it's criminal that wasn't the finals.

I'd send Tsargush, he beat Burroughs pretty bad last time and Burroughs has super difficult time scoring on Tsargush. Geduev is a bit more open and stands upright.

btw, good job by Burroughs staying calm, exactly the opposite of Gadisov who manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. True champion, Burroughs.

I don't follow the international scene much.  Who is number one?

Give me a break.  Sadulaev is a great wrestler, but let's not get carried away.  He's a 2 time champ while burroughs is going for 4.  The guy Sadulaev beat 6-0 in the finals hasn't won a tournament since juniors and the Iranian he beat 6-2 was a junior last year.  The guy he beat in the finals last year lost rd 1 this year to the Venezuelan.  The guy he beat in the semis didn't make the team this year.  Meanwhile Burroughs was knocking off the two time defending world champ for his first title.  Show some respect!

Sorry Heisenberg didn't mean to quote just your post.

Edited by AnklePicker