Katie

Burroughs & 74kg discussion

Give me a break.  Sadulaev is a great wrestler, but let's not get carried away.  He's a 2 time champ while burroughs is going for 4.  The guy Sadulaev beat 6-0 in the finals hasn't won a tournament since juniors and the Iranian he beat 6-2 was a junior last year.  The guy he beat in the finals last year lost rd 1 this year to the Venezuelan.  The guy he beat in the semis didn't make the team this year.  Meanwhile Burroughs was knocking off the two time defending world champ for his first title.  Show some respect!

Sorry Heisenberg didn't mean to quote just your post.

There were three world champs in Sadulaevs bracket to the finals. The reason he wrestled the Iranian was because the Iranian beat the 2x world champ. By your rationale JB's tournament is much easier. 

Just goes to show you how special guys like Gatsolov, Burroughs, Satiev, and guys Belaglozev, Fadzaev, Khardzet(sp), and Smith were before them were (sorry for anybody I messed). To be on top top is one thing, to stay on top ear after year, when you have been scouted, and so forth is just incredibly hard. Even as amazing a talent as the late Jordanov even he couldn't get it done.

My attempt at be Mr. Obvious. :-)

Edited by sgallan

Sadualev is a different level of wrestler than anyone now, including JB. The ease with which he dominates world-class wrestlers, the variety of techniques from all positions, etc...is so rare. And he is much younger. Lets hope all these guys stick around more.

Sadualev is a different level of wrestler than anyone now, including JB. The ease with which he dominates world-class wrestlers, the variety of techniques from all positions, etc...is so rare. And he is much younger. Lets hope all these guys stick around more.

No he's not.  He won 6-2 in the semis.  Hardly domination.

I'd send Tsargush, he beat Burroughs pretty bad last time and Burroughs has super difficult time scoring on Tsargush. Geduev is a bit more open and stands upright.

btw, good job by Burroughs staying calm, exactly the opposite of Gadisov who manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. True champion, Burroughs.

Disagree on that one chief.  

I think Snyder beat him, plain and simple.  2 TD's and a push out is hardly snatching defeat.

JB seems to be one of the few americans with real mat awareness... his shots are ridiculous and his defense and scrambling are legit... his par terre is meh...

sadulaev is the best wrestler on the planet and it is not even close... 19 year old 2X world champ with actual variety to his attacks and nasty par terre game... JB is definitely the best of the rest   

JB seems to be one of the few americans with real mat awareness... his shots are ridiculous and his defense and scrambling are legit... his par terre is meh...

sadulaev is the best wrestler on the planet and it is not even close... 19 year old 2X world champ with actual variety to his attacks and nasty par terre game... JB is definitely the best of the rest   

To say it's not close is laughable.

I'd send Tsargush, he beat Burroughs pretty bad last time and Burroughs has super difficult time scoring on Tsargush. Geduev is a bit more open and stands upright.

btw, good job by Burroughs staying calm, exactly the opposite of Gadisov who manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. True champion, Burroughs.

Unless I was watching a different match last year, I'm pretty sure JB's knee was injured in his 1st round match and still placed 3rd, so...

It doesn't really matter because Sudalaev is amazing, but I thought it is generally assumed that he isn't actually 19?

you hear that stuff all the time... all the way to cadets, many are saying athletes are not the correct age... who knows...

i will sadulaev is a full grown man, but, the close ups of his face he still looks young...

Sadulaev's weight and bracket were stacked with past world champs and medalists.

Aldatov -- 2x world champ (2013, 2006), silver (2011)

Yasar -- Bronze 2014

Ganev -- 1x world champ (2010)

Salas -- 2x world silver medalist (2014, 2013) 

Herbert -- world silver 2009

Stacked?  Aldatov has to be 40, Yasar hasn't won a tournament since juniors, Ganev hasn't won a tournament since 2010, Salas lost 1st rd and Herbert hasn't ever won a major international tournament that I know of.

In my opinion, the most competitive weight class is the one with the most competitors. 

By that measure, 86kg is probably the most competitive weight class because of the massive gap between it and 74kg.

74kg is probably next because it is at very center of the normal male weight distribution, which is like a bell curve.

After that I'd guess 65kg is the next most competitive. (70kg seemed to be somewhat depleted because it's not an Olympic weight.)

Anyway, the bottom line is Sadulaev is the p4p best in the world. I really can't see any way around that. Burroughs is #2. Dude is scouted like no one else, and he always comes up with the win when it counts (unless he's injured and is facing Tsargush).

Edited by Katie

Stacked?  Aldatov has to be 40, Yasar hasn't won a tournament since juniors, Ganev hasn't won a tournament since 2010, Salas lost 1st rd and Herbert hasn't ever won a major international tournament that I know of.

Aldatov was born in 1983. He doesn't have to be 40 until 2023.