Katie

Ramos & 57kg discussion

I like Ramos and I think this weight is a good fit for him. I think FS is a better fit for his style and he seems to have the Brands sort of mindset. But if anybody remembers the Brands, it wasn't just push and punish, those guys kept getting better. and improved themselves in the style (Tom Brands got absolutely destroyed by Smith at one time - and then got better in the style. I see this in Ramos. I can't say how he will do in this tournament but coming out of college I didn't even see him getting this far. Now I am a fan.

Ramos has a tough path to gold. It'll likely be:

Round 64. Unranked Colombia.

Round 32. Unranked Spain/Uzbekistan

Round 16. #4 Rahimi (Iran)

Quarter. #6 Jong (North Korea)

Semi. #2 Lebedev (Russia)

Final. #5 Erdenebat (Mongolia)

Notable items:

• North Korea is sending #6 Jong instead of #1 Yang. 
  • #3 Bonne and #2 Lebedev could meet in the Round of 32.
Edited by Katie

Another bracket that seems pretty unbalanced with the bottom being much much tougher. Khinchegashvilli and Erdenebat seem to have great draws to meet up in the semis. That would give Mongolia yet another wrestler in the medal round, and for Khinchegashvilli if he is ever going to get over the hump and win gold this draw makes this the year to do it!

Down below, we'll likely have two medalist from 2013 ,electing 2nd round in Akgul from Turkey and Kumar from India, as well as having two of the favorites in Lebedev vs Bonne. Those winners face off in the round of 16, ouch! Whoever comes out of that will have a relatively unknown wrestler in the quarters. The last quarter, Ramos seems to have two winnable matches before running into Rahimi in the round of 16. If he can't get past him, it's going to be asking for a lot to get pulled back in, very possible given that Rahimi is a former champ, but Rahimi would have Jong in the quarters and likely Lebedev or Bonne in the semis. However it plays out. That bottom half is going to be a blood bath and like 65, several very good wrestlers or past medalist/champs will be left off the podium.

Well Ramos got off to a very slow start against a guy he should have teched in under two minutes. Glad he got the early jitters out of the way but that first period won't cut it in the later rounds.

By the way, ya gotta lose the announcer on Mat D. He's actually pretty good though his temperament is better suited for golf, I think.  

Only Bonne scored an offensive point. Lebedev got two passivity points. Outcome? Lebedev wins.

Oh, Bonne was the aggressor the entire match. This was a horribly reffed match.

Edited by Katie

Man, there isn't any more clear example of UWW subterfuge than the refereeing in the Lebedev-Rodriguez match.   Awful.  Makes me want to stop watching.

I wonder how much the bribe is to get a win like that?  Also, is the wrestler in on it knowing he has to take 0 offensive risk the entire match?