Sign in to follow this  
Friscopoke

McDonough to 133 and Ramos to 125?

I keep reading that this might happen but I am not sure it is a good move for the Hawkeyes. McDonough is no sure bet to be as effective at 133 and Ramos may not be as strong at 125 either. Neither can beat Steiber. One of the advantages that McD has over the field is that he is a BIG 125 pounder. If he can keep his weight down (which he has for three years) I would not mess with that. Ramos will contend for 133 but I think Steiber is too strong and will get even better. With Oliver moving up (it appears to be certainty at this point), Ramos will at least to the finals. That is a pretty good 1-2 punch. This is just an opinion, folks.

I respectfully disagree. For the same reasons Zach Sanders could have wrestled McD and 50 times and lost 50 times to him, I just do not think Ramos will ever beat Steiber. Now, McDonnough v. Steiber - that would be FUN! I think Steiber would have trouble with McD and his length, similar to the trouble he had with Oliver in the early match when Oliver pretty much had his way with Steiber.

Again - that is my opinion for what its worth.

I don't think McDonough would do as well at 133 as he would at 125. He has one of the sloppiest take down set ups (Albeit the best finish) in college wrestling. He can make sloppy shots like that because of his length. I think he would struggle with taller guys (like he has with Dellago).

This move may have helped 2 years ago when Ramos was struggling but not now.

I respectfully disagree. For the same reasons Zach Sanders could have wrestled McD and 50 times and lost 50 times to him, I just do not think Ramos will ever beat Steiber. Now, McDonnough v. Steiber - that would be FUN! I think Steiber would have trouble with McD and his length, similar to the trouble he had with Oliver in the early match when Oliver pretty much had his way with Steiber.

Ramos is a lot closer to beating Stieber than Sanders ever came to McDonough. I think Stieber is rightfully favored, but Ramos can definitely beat him. Ramos was in deep at the NCAA FInals last year to win (tie?). He wasn't close to a finish or anything, but he was right there.

Anyway, I've heard nothing about this move from people in the know, so I think it is unlikely to happen. McD at 125 and Ramos at 133 again.

Do you think Megaludis would match up better against McD or Ramos? This is assuming that Mega stays put. I don't know if he could beat either one, but he really improved by leaps and bounds over the season and would guess that he would continue to close the gap (and have the best chance) against McD. I think Ramos looks like he'd be way too physical for Nico. But who knows..

Do you think Megaludis would match up better against McD or Ramos? This is assuming that Mega stays put. I don't know if he could beat either one, but he really improved by leaps and bounds over the season and would guess that he would continue to close the gap (and have the best chance) against McD. I think Ramos looks like he'd be way too physical for Nico. But who knows..

Ramos. I like Ramos better, but McD's length and style is something that's tough to duplicate in a 125 lb package. Ramos is more of a meat and potatoes wrestler. It's a very effective meat and potatoes, but it's also an easier style to prepare for. This is all relative, I think Nico loses to either guy.

Ramos is a lot closer to beating Stieber than Sanders ever came to McDonough. I think Stieber is rightfully favored, but Ramos can definitely beat him. Ramos was in deep at the NCAA FInals last year to win (tie?). He wasn't close to a finish or anything, but he was right there.

Anyway, I've heard nothing about this move from people in the know, so I think it is unlikely to happen. McD at 125 and Ramos at 133 again.

Agreed 100%. Not going to lie I look forward to the match where stieber has to go after a late takedown on Ramos. We haven't seen that yet.