fullnelson

Iran-king of the push out

They really move forward with good position, especially off the underhook, Gotta believe they put a lot of time into this obviously important skill. Green was pushed all over the mat but all their wrestlers have shown this awareness better than other countries since the overhauling of the rules. Their conditioning is as good as anyones, a vast improvement over their 80's-90's teams

Edited by fullnelson

Nearly every coach I've heard stresses maintaining inside head position when you've got an underhook.  It's one of those unquestioned orthodoxies.  The Iranians seem to prefer the head on the opposite side.  Not only are they successful with pushing for the step out point from here, they work some great shots off this position. Taghavi and others hit a great double from there.  

He's mostly telling them to go forward and put on pressure. Or to wrestle short. Also shouts at them to not go back a lot. 

I sat next to an Iranian ex-pat on Saturday who has moderate wrestling knowledge. He said that the coaches said "wrestle short" a lot, and he wanted to know what that actually meant. I took it to mean keep your elbows in, stay in a stance, don't get extended on shots- somewhere in there. 

It seems that "wrestling short" is important to Iran because they said it a lot. 

Maan.. I love reading your comments.  I am embarrassed to say that you guys know more about Iranian wrestlers and their tendencies than Iranian coaches and sport broadcasters.  It is funny that I read so many positive remarks about Iranian wrestling here whereas in Iranian sites, I read nothing but negative remarks.  People are extremely disappointed with this year's results since not a single wrestler got Gold for Iran.  Additionally, people are not satisfied with greco coaches and are desperately looking to get Bana back.  People are also not happy with Khadem's work either.  The only reason they think Khadem has this job is because of his connection with the gov't.  Amir Reza, Rasul's brother, also has cush job in the sport's ministry.  

Maan.. I love reading your comments.  I am embarrassed to say that you guys know more about Iranian wrestlers and their tendencies than Iranian coaches and sport broadcasters.  It is funny that I read so many positive remarks about Iranian wrestling here whereas in Iranian sites, I read nothing but negative remarks.  People are extremely disappointed with this year's results since not a single wrestler got Gold for Iran.  Additionally, people are not satisfied with greco coaches and are desperately looking to get Bana back.  People are also not happy with Khadem's work either.  The only reason they think Khadem has this job is because of his connection with the gov't.  Amir Reza, Rasul's brother, also has cush job in the sport's ministry.  

Sounds a lot like how we complain about how badly the USA does all the time.  Most of the posts here are disparaging in some way to somebody, criticizing a wrestler or a coach because they didn't do this, or we should have sent somebody else, etc.  I'm glad to know that this happens elsewhere too. 

Iran did a ton of great wrestling at this tournament.  They wrestle with supreme tactics but are also very aggressive and their style makes them easy to root for.  I kind of feel the refs gave Russia gifts at 57KG and 65KG early on in the tournament.  Without those gifts, Iran wins it all....

Nearly every coach I've heard stresses maintaining inside head position when you've got an underhook. It's one of those unquestioned orthodoxies. The Iranians seem to prefer the head on the opposite side. Not only are they successful with pushing for the step out point from here, they work some great shots off this position. Taghavi and others hit a great double from there.

You can generate more forward pressure with less risk of losing you balance pushing with your shoulder instead yo u r head.

I thought Amir was even better. He destroyed Kenny Monday to win the Wolrd Championship one year.  

I will say this much, during the matches that I watched I loved the fact that referees were not awarding step out points for guys who blatantly two hand shoved their opponents off the mat while exhibiting zero wrestling skill in said motion. I like that part of the rule.

i was under the assumption that that was only a rule for greco... not sure if that was changed this summer, or, if USA was intepreting it different for the junior and below categories... but, i agree... attempting a wrestling move is more legit

Yep, he lost his popularity mostly because of his brother and most importantly for letting/forcing Bana go. 

and also being both head coach and the federation president negatively affected his job as the head coach..

i was under the assumption that that was only a rule for greco... not sure if that was changed this summer, or, if USA was intepreting it different for the junior and below categories... but, i agree... attempting a wrestling move is more legit

I saw it happen twice in the same match from the same guy and I was able to watch from Friday on only.

I will say this much, during the matches that I watched I loved the fact that referees were not awarding step out points for guys who blatantly two hand shoved their opponents off the mat while exhibiting zero wrestling skill in said motion. I like that part of the rule.

I'll disagree. The rules should remove as much subjectivity as possible. Your foot stepped out while you weren't completing a takedown? 1pt. You're on the clock and in on a single? You have until exactly until 0:30 to score, no more. If we give the refs the leeway to say "he was simply pushing, not attacking with a recognized wrestling hold" then they'll eventually screw someone with it. 

Edited by GranbyTroll