fullnelson

Iran-king of the push out

we are referring to when a wrestler is in the zone and the other bum rushing him and extends his arms to push them out of bounds like they were on the playgorund... was a legit pushout until this year in greco... i thought it was still a pushout in freestyle... 

it was used this summer at kids nationals and i thought i saw it at fargo as well... they were not having it during worlds... i'm ok with it...

if they are tied up and go out of bounds it is still a pushout in both styles no matter what... 

I'll disagree. The rules should remove as much subjectivity as possible. Your foot stepped out while you weren't completing a takedown? 1pt. You're on the clock and in on a single? You have until exactly until 0:30 to score, no more. If we give the refs the leeway to say "he was simply pushing, not attacking with a recognized wrestling hold" then they'll eventually screw someone with it. 

yeah i have to agree. as much as i like the idea of not rewarding guys for straight arm shoving a guy out of bounds, the rule is already being applied inconsistently. just make it first to step out (or touch out) gets a penalty, period. guys will adjust their strategy and tactics accordingly. 

yeah i have to agree. as much as i like the idea of not rewarding guys for straight arm shoving a guy out of bounds, the rule is already being applied inconsistently. just make it first to step out (or touch out) gets a penalty, period. guys will adjust their strategy and tactics accordingly. 

JH.. i agree the rule was enforced very inconsistently..... should be first guy out is ....um....OUT

The Iran team got plain embarrassed once again. No gold medals or any wins worth anything. It's a miracle Iran will even be allowed in the Olympics after that travesty. All of them soundly beaten by better wrestlers. No excuses or anything else. It's just terrible. 

I really thought Yazdanichari would take it. I guess I underestimated the Russian, who beat him handily.

They can't be happy with the two late takedowns at 57 either. Mohammedi was good but he still got pinned- for the second year in a row.

If I was an Iranian fan I wouldn't be too happy.

Yazdani beat everyone until he ran into someone who was actually good. The other guys were just nobodies. It's a shame since it seems like he was overrated this whole time. I thought he'd win this weight since he beat Tsabalov and the Polish wrestler who gave Gadzhi????? a tough time at Euro games but nope. He got smashed easily. That was probably the worst one since he was the main hope for gold. And you had Iranians on some sites talking all this trash about how he can beat Burroughs at the Olympics, next Saitiev etc etc. I never bought all that but thought he could win this. 

Then Rahimi, who just like last year against Yang gives away a significant lead. That one just made me sick. The less said the better. 

Karimi did well, that's about it. Hadi was apparently injured but with a bracket like that he was never getting past Makhov and Akgul one after the other. Can't say too much about him.  I didn't even remember that Mohammadi got pinned last year, just thought he got teched in like a minute but I recall it now. 

Anyway terrible result once again. And to top it off the team arrived back in Iran  and one of the coaches is holding the second place team trophy above his head like anyone cares. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Yazdani is fun to watch.  But his aggression probably leaves some openings and the Russian coaches were savvy enough to exploit them.  I think some technical adjustments will help him out in the future, but he's still a great wrestler.  

Shiraz123, they were not "that" bad ! In fact Rahimi and Mohammadi were just one mistake away from winning the gold. Yazdani and Karimi lost to better wrestlers. Other four wrestlers didn't impress at all.

Khadem finally talked about the competition. He said he's disappointed too but not surprised since there 6 new members in this team (everybody except Rahimi and Mohammadi) he also claimed if he didn't have to respect trial results and could select his own team. He would pick Esmaeilpour ( at 61), Mohammadian and K. Ghasemi and that team most probably could win the team title !

I agree about other 2 but i wonder why he brought up Komeil Ghasemi. He was terrible the whole year.

Here is my comment about Iran's performance in 2015 and prediction on probable 2016 Olympic team.

125: Hadi was so unlucky because of Untimely ankle injury. after team return, he said that it has broken 20 days before the matches but they concealed from the rivals. with no unexpected injury, he could be a main Olympic's gold candidate beside Makhov and Akgul.

65: Mohammadi should be more careful against his powerful rivals in 65, that i believe is the most difficult weight. but think he is the nearest Iranian to the Olympic's gold. Ramonov and Chamizo will his main obstacles.

57: Rahimi was better than any time i saw him, even than his champ on 2013. Iran always has had problem in the light weight and think Rahimi has satisfied Iranian, despite few medals compare to his lots of matches. think Olympic may be his last chance to win gold but it will be so difficult in such close weight.

74 &86: Hasan Yazdani & Karimi are the youngest and most promising members of Iran. yet unfortunately they have 2 great rivals in their weights ( JB & sadulaev) for gold medals next Olympic. we must wait for their progress in the next year and watch if they could pass them?

97: 2016 is the last chance for Reza Yazdani to win Olympic title and i'm sure he will be very cautious not be injured again, in the remaining time. i think he will be Iran's first despite Khadem prefer younger Mohammadian. if Yazdani be ready, will have a good challenge with Gazimov(or sharifov), Gadisov and Snyder.

I think Esmailpour should never have gone up because he won't make the team at 65 for the olympics anyway.  Mohammadian probably could have got bronze, I don't think he would beat Snyder. But I don't know, Tahan barely beat Musaev who Mohammadian beat easily in the Asian games final. Komeil if he was still in the same bad form as the past year probably would have got the exact same result as Hadi. Is Komeil also injured or something? He has looked really bad. 

Yazdani was disappointing because of all the hype just to lose easily in the finals. But it's over now and I guess he will start preparing his body to gain size and see what he can do at 74kg, if he is better or worse at that weight we will see. 

If Rahimi didn't give up leads all the time going into the olympics he would be a 3 X world champ. He has the ability to win gold at the Olympics but it's hard to be confident in him. It's sad because he beat the North Korean and Lebedev very impressively. 

Karimi I don't mind, he did very good. I actually thought Sadulaev would tech him because sometimes he gives up a lot of points (went down 8-0 in one of his matches at the Sargysan tournament before making a comeback) but he was wrestling at a higher level this tournament. 

Mohammadi good and bad. On the one hand it looks like he can beat Asgarov any time, and this time he beat him much easier than the World cup. Bad is he made a mistake. Hopefully in the Olympics Asgarov pins Chamizo and then Mohammadi I think would beat Asgarov. He can beat both but he has shown that he can beat Asgarov without too much trouble. 

Ehsanpour took a  terrible shot with 30 seconds left for no reason since he was 2 points up which led to him being countered for 4. He wrestled the last minute of that match like he was the one losing. The Ukrainian beat Bogomoev as well so this loss wasn't that bad. But if he was just a bit smarter he could have progressed and maybe even beat Bogomoev. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Defense was the weakness of all of them this year, attacking / going forward is good but sometimes you just have to stay back. Rahimi took an unnecessary shot with 40 seconds to go to lose 2pts (and later another 2pts). Mohammadi for a second just forgot to stay low. Tahan and Ehsanpour als both lost in last minute. Yazdani could stand a chance against Gazimagomedov if he wasn't attacking desperately the whole match.

as for Komeil, he wasn't injured but completely out of shape. but since he trained with the team also after the trials, I think he probably improved a lot that's why Khadem mentions him in his wish list.

btw. per new announcement , seven wrestlers won't be allowed to wrestle in local league or any other league competition. Rahimi, Mohammadi, Hassan Yazdani, Karimi, Mohammadian , Hadi and Komeil Ghasemi ! some people think Khadem almost announced his Olympic team ! (even though there will be trials but limited this time) two guys in SHW because one of them has to take care of the Olympic qualifier, the only weight Iran didn't qualify.

Yes, Yazdani's constant attacking at all times worked for him until it didn't. He has the potential to be great and hopefully will learn that you don't need to beat everyone by 10 points or pin. Here unlike the previous opponents the Russian never got tired from his constant attacks and just countered him all six minutes. It will be interesting seeing him at 74 in the coming tournaments, especially the world cup. Do you think anyone can get in the way of Yazdani making the team at 74? 

The main problem with the Iran team is like you said is definitely defence. They wrestle like they are losing even when they are not. 

Yes, Yazdani's constant attacking at all times worked for him until it didn't. He has the potential to be great and hopefully will learn that you don't need to beat everyone by 10 points or pin. Here unlike the previous opponents the Russian never got tired from his constant attacks and just countered him all six minutes. It will be interesting seeing him at 74 in the coming tournaments, especially the world cup. Do you think anyone can get in the way of Yazdani making the team at 74? 

The main problem with the Iran team is like you said is definitely defence. They wrestle like they are losing even when they are not. 

Yazdani's normal bodyweight is something around 80kg, he will fit in 74kg very soon. he even wanted to move up weight this year but they didn't let him.

I don't think wrestlers like Alireza Ghasemi, Akbari, Afzali or Rezaei-Ghaleh stand a chance against him. but Yarahmadi maybe. he beat Yazdani once at the start of the season before moving to 74kg. still I expect Yazdani to make the Olympic team almost easily. 

It is easy to criticize a wrestler for being over aggressive after the fact - and certainly Iranian wrestlers may have made some tactical errors at the Worlds, especially late in the match.  But also, their success has been due to aggression.  They reaped the rewards of never letting up in many matches by breaking opponents.  Iran has developed a style that is easy to cheer for and that is good for wrestling.