Sign in to follow this  
GoNotQuietly

Pound for Pound

How people put Sadulaev ahead of JB is beyond my comprehension, seriously. Even if Sadulaev could win every match by fall with arm tied behind his back, isn't Burroughs a 3 time World Champ and 1 time Olympic champ, in contrast to Sadulaev's 2 world titles? I believe this fact alone speaks for itself.

TheRealOne,

If all that matters is titles, this thread should be called, "which active wrestler has the most gold medals?"  Just because a wrestler has less experience doesn't mean there couldn't be someone with the opinion that the young guy is, right now, at this moment, the best on the planet.   That same person might also think that JJ Watt is the best defensive lineman in football even though Dwight Freeney has more career sacks and super bowl wins. 

TheRealOne,

If all that matters is titles, this thread should be called, "which active wrestler has the most gold medals?"  Just because a wrestler has less experience doesn't mean there couldn't be someone with the opinion that the young guy is, right now, at this moment, the best on the planet.   That same person might also think that JJ Watt is the best defensive lineman in football even though Dwight Freeney has more career sacks and super bowl wins. 

No, titles isn't all that matters, but neither is something to be overlooked. And JB's accomplishments make a pretty strong statement. But hey, it's really a matter of personal opinions, like it's been said.

There are plenty of amazing wrestlers throughout the world esp. Iran and Russia but no one should apologize for picking Burroughs.  His style works against everyone and that's why he's amazing.  Only age and injury will stop him.  His only hard match against the Russian really wasn't super tough...he just had to stay "on task".  

How people put Sadulaev ahead of JB is beyond my comprehension, seriously. Even if Sadulaev could win every match by fall with arm tied behind his back, isn't Burroughs a 3 time World Champ and 1 time Olympic champ, in contrast to Sadulaev's 2 world titles? I believe this fact alone speaks for itself.

It's not most accomplished. It's who's the best wrestler regardless of weight class. So that means you're looking at world champs, how they fare against their competition, who their competition is, etc. 

I think Sadulaev is the best because he hasn't been challenged in two years. In contrast, Burroughs lost twice last year (once with an injury) and barely got by Geduev this year. Sadulaev is in the most competitive weight class (because there is an enormous gap between 74kg and 86kg). In contrast, Burroughs is probably in the second most competitive weight class, given that its right at the center of the normal male weight distribution. 

I would put Burroughs as number two p4p, followed by Akgul. 

Who is Sadulaev's best win?  He beat an Iranian 6-2 who was a junior last year.  Head and shoulders?  Give it a freaking rest.

You're just telling us you don't understand world level wrestling very well.

Lets put it this way, who is JB's worst loss?  You can only beat who;s in front of you.   Those who beat you can be more telling.   

Moreover, if you actually understand the different wrestling positions, just watch the 2 of them.  One of them is spectacular in all positions.   The other is not.

It isn't even close AP

I'd have Sadulaev #1. no one's even been close to him for two years.

but i would argue that the gap isnt big. and certainly argue that 74's depth > 86's depth worldwide.

the 3rd quarter of Burroughs bracket yesterday was deeper than the entire 86kg bracket and that's with a boatload of awesome 74's sitting at home as back ups 

I'd have Sadulaev #1. no one's even been close to him for two years.

but i would argue that the gap isnt big. and certainly argue that 74's depth > 86's depth worldwide.

the 3rd quarter of Burroughs bracket yesterday was deeper than the entire 86kg bracket and that's with a boatload of awesome 74's sitting at home as back ups 

Actually he's had 2 close matches in the finals of the Russian nationals.  

Debatable that 74 is tougher . There were 3 world champions at 86. The Iranian may be young but he teched two of them. He's like another another Snyder, fearless and powerful.

Sadulaev did have done closeish matches at nationals. He's so hard to score on though.

Seriously, what's the game plan for beating this guy?

Edited by armspin