Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Freestyle style is a good style

folkstyle more complete?

requires more complete set of skills?

excuse me while i laugh my a$$ right the fuk off...

nothing that allows stalling out on top and/or bottom and rewards running out of bounds will ever give a wrestler a more "complete" set of skills...

how can you progress by making not wrestling more rewarding than wrestling???

You would only need 1 ref domestically, since we wouldn't have corruption.  We already have video review for folkstyle.  

Exactly. All the added controls on refereeing are there because the UWW is a loose coalition of national federations with limited control over referees and a limited ability to police corruption. The NCAA is a strong central organization that has the ability to discourage and punish corruption. 

All that's needed to make folkstyle more exciting are a few common sense rule changes:

1) push out

2) no OT (this incentivizes scoring in regulation and eliminates ride outs)

3) a better mechanism for penalizing defensive wrestlers. Stalling calls do not work. Shot clocks work much better but occasionally are a problem. (see Bonne-Lebedev). A smaller push out circle after 90 seconds of no scoring might be the best option. People say this would result in sumo wrestling, and it might with heavies. With smaller guys, i think we'd some exciting stuff. Either way I'd rather watch sumo than slow dancing.

4) Stand ups after 30 seconds of riding. If you stood your guy up more than he stood you up, you get a point. 

Exactly. All the added controls on refereeing are there because the UWW is a loose coalition of national federations with limited control over referees and a limited ability to police corruption. The NCAA is a strong central organization that has the ability to discourage and punish corruption. 

All that's needed to make folkstyle more exciting are a few common sense rule changes:

1) push out

2) no OT (this incentivizes scoring in regulation and eliminates ride outs)

3) a better mechanism for penalizing defensive wrestlers. Stalling calls do not work. Shot clocks work much better but occasionally are a problem. (see Bonne-Lebedev). A smaller push out circle after 90 seconds of no scoring might be the best option. People say this would result in sumo wrestling, and it might with heavies. With smaller guys, i think we'd some exciting stuff. Either way I'd rather watch sumo than slow dancing.

4) Stand ups after 30 seconds of riding. If you stood your guy up more than he stood you up, you get a point. 

These are good ideas to make folkstyle more exciting, but I care more about the success of our athletes (I started a topic in the college forum about this). We are teaching them how drive a car when everyone else is flying airplanes.  

These are good ideas to make folkstyle more exciting, but I care more about the success of our athletes (I started a topic in the college forum about this). We are teaching them how drive a car when everyone else is flying airplanes.  

I am all for just straight up switching to freestyle in hs and college. It is by far the best solution to both issues (lack of international success and folkstyle getting boring). Unfortunately though, I just don't see it happening. The tradition of folkstyle is just too strong for others to be willing to change (especially in my state of PA). Maybe a compromise of adding some freestyle rules like Katie suggested would be possible. I am not even sure how that would go over though. 

I can't wait to watch a folkstyle td scramble and the novelty of seeing someone actually trying to defend a td.   In freestyle a simple knee tap results in the guy diving to his belly to avoid the dreaded exposure and a 42-36 score.  I guess you can call that wrestling if you want.

I can't wait to watch a folkstyle td scramble and the novelty of seeing someone actually trying to defend a td.   In freestyle a simple knee tap results in the guy diving to his belly to avoid the dreaded exposure and a 42-36 score.  I guess you can call that wrestling if you want.

Trolling 4/10

Best I've seen today. 

You might want to look up the definition of a crotch lift, head pinch and chest lock then get back to us.

the logistics wouldn't be difficult at all.

we already have mats set up with cameras, computers and often times, 2 or more refs.

in both fargo (28 mats), the US Open (20-something mats) and CD/JR Duals (double digit mats) - there are video review and full 3-person officiating crews.

unless i'm missing something, not sure why it couldn't be replicated for HS/College. shortage of HS/College officials?

I have always enjoyed freestyle as a pleasant change of pace from folk in the off season but since the recent rule changes I am actually starting to warm up to the idea of a complete switch over to freestyle. It's an entertaining style that would help team USA compete on an even playing field with the rest of the world. I guess that begs the question, what governing body has the authority to make such a change? NCAA at the college level but what about Jr/Sr High Schools?  

I miss seeing mat wrestling. Reversals, escapes and especially the top man working for a pin.

With the freestyle emphasis they could easily push this.

Add in a true dual elimination format and you guarantee two matches minimum for every entrant. Would make the battle for third place mean something rather than the 'everyone gets a trophy for showing up' bronze now.

I miss seeing mat wrestling. Reversals, escapes and especially the top man working for a pin.

With the freestyle emphasis they could easily push this.

Add in a true dual elimination format and you guarantee two matches minimum for every entrant. Would make the battle for third place mean something rather than the 'everyone gets a trophy for showing up' bronze now.

How many pins have we seen in the NCAA finals in the past 10 years, specifically from turn from top and not a neutral transition?  Juxtapose that to the number of people we have seen grabbing onto an ankle for dear life to get 1:01 of riding time. We see pins in folkstyle frequently when one wrestler is overmatched...It is not the norm when top competition faces off.  Just this one tournament we saw two pins in one weight class in the world semifinals (much higher level of competition than the NCAA finals).