Tofurky

Hall and Lee to Nebraska?

With Burroughs winning another World title tonight, and as James Green earns a bronze in the same tournament, could this be the turning point for the Cornhuskers to begin pulling in more blue chippers like Mark Hall and Spencer Lee, both of whom have ambitions beyond the collegiate realm?

Interesting topic.  Consider the eight who represented the USA at this year's world (and their schools or training locations):

Iowa:  Ramos and Metcalf

tOSU:  Humphrey and Snyder  (toss in Dlagnev as well, if you choose)

Nebraska:  Burroughs and Green

Northwestern/Michigan:  Herbert

Lehigh:  Rey

If I were looking for a location that breeds international success based on the above, I'd be calling Mark Manning or Lou Rosselli.

Interesting that there is no PSU in the mix at this time.

Is Snyder the same guy we saw two nights ago if he doesn't spend a year at the OTC? I suspect the answer is no, but I don't want to take anything away from Roselli, Dlagnev, Bergman and others for helping Kyle achieve his goal at such a young age.

As for Cael, I'm thinking of places where guys like Hall and Lee haven't already visited or are on their radar.

In terms of Manning/Snyder/Nebraska, they seem to have done quite a bit for the dynamic duo of Burroughs and Green, neither of whom were Freestyle giants before or during college.

You are not giving tOSU enough credit. 12 months ago, AFTER a year at the OTC, Snyder didn't even win juniors and was getting teched by Bergman per his own admission. Now, he is a world champ and beat a Russian who is the real deal in the finals--the hard way to win a gold medal. The impact tOSU has had, incremental to the OTC, is absolutely undeniable.

You are not giving tOSU enough credit. 12 months ago, AFTER a year at the OTC, Snyder didn't even win juniors and was getting teched by Bergman per his own admission. Now, he is a world champ and beat a Russian who is the real deal in the finals--the hard way to win a gold medal. The impact tOSU has had, incremental to the OTC, is absolutely undeniable.

I may not be giving the Ohio State crew enough credit and I had not heard that about Snyder being roughed up by Bergman.

As for not winning juniors, that doesn't mean a lot to me. Heck, very recently, Togrul Asgarov didn't win juniors and wound up as the World silver medalist at the senior level to another Russian who also is the real deal. Taking nothing away from Snyder, other than to say that he isn't the first to make such a huge jump so quickly.

I may not be giving the Ohio State crew enough credit and I had not heard that about Snyder being roughed up by Bergman.

As for not winning juniors, that doesn't mean a lot to me. Heck, very recently, Togrul Asgarov didn't win juniors and wound up as the World silver medalist at the senior level to another Russian who also is the real deal. Taking nothing away from Snyder, other than to say that he isn't the first to make such a huge jump so quickly.

Asgarov beat Logan Stieber in the Junior World finals, then got second in the Eurpoean Senior Finals to Khudokov, then reversed that to win Olympic Gold. But Asgarov beat Logan in the World Junior Freestyle finals.  It is on the website.  Logan did take him down, but that year and following year Asgarov was nails.  

If you look at the Fila, now UWW database, nearly all world champions and Olympic Champions have had a world medal at the Junior levels.  It is a huge percentage.  I will say though, that many USA guys have done well at Junior and Cadet worlds, then you never hear much more about them.  

World silver is impressive but it's not quite world gold. And one (or a select few) precedent, even if it is just silver, does not a trend make. The jump from juniors to seniors is still substantial no matter how you look at it. ESPECIALLY for a 19 year old boy.

Snyder was even with Kilgore about a year and a half ago, was JD's rag doll about a year ago, and now everyone in the world is his bich. I think Ryan, Roselli, and company, along with Tervel smashing him regularly in the room, had something to do with that massive and historically unprecedented ascent. That's all.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

The whole premise of this thread is inflammatory and trollish in nature of course.

Snyder is a beast.  Kid gets better everyday and of course the tOSU staff gets some credit here.  The list provided of schools attended by all of our world team members only tells me one thing: it really doesn't matter what school you go to.

Asgarov beat Logan Stieber in the Junior World finals, then got second in the Eurpoean Senior Finals to Khudokov, then reversed that to win Olympic Gold. But Asgarov beat Logan in the World Junior Freestyle finals.  It is on the website.  Logan did take him down, but that year and following year Asgarov was nails.  

I was specifically referencing 2010. Asgarov lost to Kinchegashvili (this year's 57 kilo Senior champ) in juniors, but then went on to earn Senior World silver about six weeks later in his first senior World level event. 2011 is when he beat Logan.

The whole premise of this thread is inflammatory and trollish in nature of course.

Snyder is a beast.  Kid gets better everyday and of course the tOSU staff gets some credit here.  The list provided of schools attended by all of our world team members only tells me one thing: it really doesn't matter what school you go to.

You're way off base with that first sentence, LordNelson. Since I was the one who started this thread, I'll tell you exactly what I thought of when I created it: JB wins another world title and Green, one of the guys he's been working out with for some years now, earns a World bronze. Everyone always talks about PSU, Iowa, tOSU, OSU, and a few others, when it comes to World level accomplishments and the coaches that play part in those results/potential accomplishments. Nebraska, on the other hand, seems to fly under the radar with the success they are quietly producing out there. One would think that the successful combination of Manning/Snyder/Burroughs/Green could(/should?) extend beyond the middle weights and may very well speak to the likes of Mark Hall (JB's workout partner these last many weeks and future 86 kilo athlete), Spencer Lee (a potential future 65 kilo guy who I don't see as a foregone conclusion that he'll end up at PSU, Iowa or tOSU, but maybe I am wrong) and other blue chippers who pay close attention to such detail. 

And, for those with selective reading habits and issues, I did say in post 8: "...I don't want to take anything away from Roselli, Dlagnev, Bergman and others for helping Kyle achieve his goal at such a young age."

And if you really want to insure Olympic success, make them go to high school in NJ!  Amazing that we continue to talk about how if we want to really be successful in freestyle, we need to be wrestling that style since youth and both Burroughs and Green didn't really start freestyle until college...