Tofurky

Hall and Lee to Nebraska?

Not sure what to make of news that Hall is visiting Minnesota this weekend. If it was down to Ohio State and Penn State why bother?

In an interview earlier this month, Hall identified five schools where he plans to make official visits (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State, and Nebraska). When the interviewer asked him if he already knows where he's going to go, he said, "I don't really know yet exactly where I want to go. I have a good idea of two or three places that are at the top. The other couple are just there, just in case."

The interview is here:

The comments I'm referring to are around the 19 minute mark. 

I have no idea if Minnesota is one of the schools that is "just there, just in case," and Corey Haddad seems to be wrong about the half the time. 

But by his own words, it would seem, Hall will be making official visits to at least two schools that are on the outside looking in.

Edited by PhiferFuqua

Chad Red and now Beau Breske commit to Nebraska. This is not an "I told you so", because I am not that guy. I also recognize that two guys do not make a wrestling team, but this is becoming interesting. Hall having the opportunity to be surrounded by and regularly working out with Burroughs, Green, Snyder and now Breske has to be tantalizing.

Chad Red and now Beau Breske commit to Nebraska. This is not an "I told you so", because I am not that guy. I also recognize that two guys do not make a wrestling team, but this is becoming interesting. Hall having the opportunity to be surrounded by and regularly working out with Burroughs, Green, Snyder and now Breske has to be tantalizing.

I thought this wasn't an I told you so because the title of the thread was "Hall and Lee" to Nebraska, not Red and Breske. 

Because working with Sanderson, Nickal, Taylor, Brown, and Nolf is ......?

GREAT! However, it isn't for everyone. It seems to me that where Hall falls in terms of weight, he can't go wrong at either school. I think it's going to boil down to the non-wrestling pros and cons of each school on this one.

As for Lee, who I am projecting to be as high as 149 by the end of college, given his frame, would be right in the wheel house of a guy like James Green. Mix him with Chad Red and they're a match made in heaven for the Cornhuskers.

Again, these are just thoughts, but given their recent success on the mats and in recruiting, it seems that Nebraska COULD develop into a power within the BIG10 and NCAA.

Mark Hall final visit is rumored to be down to Nebraska and Arizona State. The Sun Devils lineup would be absolutely unreal if he decided to go there. Think it is possible. Tempe has everything to offer him for college wrestling and any path he wishes to go after college, Olympics then MMA.

Looking forward to a few years in the future, we don't know which school will have in their line ups and who they will have in their training room, but it does appear that any of the following schools will be good choice for Spencer Lee, ASU, Okla St. Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio St. As well as Penn St. But remember Spencer is a Pennsylvanian, and Cael does seem to have the ability to recruit the kids he wants, so we may very well see Spencer at Penn St. Mark Hall, well I would pick ASU or Nebraska.

GREAT! However, it isn't for everyone. It seems to me that where Hall falls in terms of weight, he can't go wrong at either school. I think it's going to boil down to the non-wrestling pros and cons of each school on this one.

As for Lee, who I am projecting to be as high as 149 by the end of college, given his frame, would be right in the wheel house of a guy like James Green. Mix him with Chad Red and they're a match made in heaven for the Cornhuskers.

Again, these are just thoughts, but given their recent success on the mats and in recruiting, it seems that Nebraska COULD develop into a power within the BIG10 and NCAA.

Not seeing that at all. 

I figure OSU, Penn St, Minn, and Nebraska are all pretty even as far as the wrestling side. I do imagine 3 years of wrestling with Snyder, Thomasello, and Bo Jordan, if not more, would be pretty cool for any stud wrestler. Some talent around and coming in for sure as well.   

The thing I like as a Buckeye fan, is that there are a few more perks that I don't think the other Universities have. One thing that is pretty cool for all Buckeye wrestlers is the support of Urban Meyer, Archie Griffin, Mike Vrabel, and host or real greats in the other sports. And OSU athletes are pretty tight.  Mark Hall can become friends with JT Barrett, and other future superstars in the NFL. He can hang with future Major league baseball players, and OSU just had multiple guys drafted very high in the NBA.  

I further like the fact that Columbus OH, and Buckeye wrestling has perhaps the most opportunities for any wrestler that would like to pursue MMA.  Ground and Pound was pretty much invented by Mark Coleman.  

Either way, good luck to these two....but I hate to think that those two variables I just mentioned wouldn't be considered, along with school and wrestling programs.  

I figure OSU, Penn St, Minn, and Nebraska are all pretty even as far as the wrestling side. I do imagine 3 years of wrestling with Snyder, Thomasello, and Bo Jordan, if not more, would be pretty cool for any stud wrestler. Some talent around and coming in for sure as well.   

The thing I like as a Buckeye fan, is that there are a few more perks that I don't think the other Universities have. One thing that is pretty cool for all Buckeye wrestlers is the support of Urban Meyer, Archie Griffin, Mike Vrabel, and host or real greats in the other sports. And OSU athletes are pretty tight.  Mark Hall can become friends with JT Barrett, and other future superstars in the NFL. He can hang with future Major league baseball players, and OSU just had multiple guys drafted very high in the NBA.  

I further like the fact that Columbus OH, and Buckeye wrestling has perhaps the most opportunities for any wrestler that would like to pursue MMA.  Ground and Pound was pretty much invented by Mark Coleman.  

Either way, good luck to these two....but I hate to think that those two variables I just mentioned wouldn't be considered, along with school and wrestling programs.  

Oklahoma State has way more MMA tradition.  Couture, Cormier, Hendricks are all UFC champs.  Munoz, Lawal, Frye, Roller, Rosholts, ...I know ASU also has a ton of MMA tie-ins.  I don't think you can say Ohio State has the most MMA opportunities.

I do agree that the support of the football program and the athletic department is very cool.  It really does help create excitement around a campus when the sports support each other.  I know OU used to really enjoy that from Stoops, who was at Iowa as a player while Gable was coaching there.  When I was HS coaching I used to use a general introductory letter from Stoops as a recruiting tool with our football team.  He had written it for Spates to pass out to HS coaches.  I am guessing he is still supportive.

Oklahoma State has way more MMA tradition.  Couture, Cormier, Hendricks are all UFC champs.  Munoz, Lawal, Frye, Roller, Rosholts, ...I know ASU also has a ton of MMA tie-ins.  I don't think you can say Ohio State has the most MMA opportunities.

I do agree that the support of the football program and the athletic department is very cool.  It really does help create excitement around a campus when the sports support each other.  I know OU used to really enjoy that from Stoops, who was at Iowa as a player while Gable was coaching there.  When I was HS coaching I used to use a general introductory letter from Stoops as a recruiting tool with our football team.  He had written it for Spates to pass out to HS coaches.  I am guessing he is still supportive.

OK St was better than I thought....though I would still be able to counter with Mark Coleman, who beat Royce Gracie in Japan and which was possibly the biggest MMA tournament ever. Randleman and Coleman pile drove Fedor so hard they both were shocked when he reversed them for the won. But both were very close to beating possibly the GOAT.   They were two of the first to have success in wrestling.  Rex Holman, Sean Salmon, Adam DiSabato, and Lance Palmer are some others. Lance is doing great from what I hear.  Down the road in Cincinnati you have the Rich Franklin crew.  In Columbus you have, in boxing, Buster Douglas and everything his old Gym has to offer, plus the rich boxing tradition in Cincinnati, which is full of Olympians.  Still, I truly did underestimate Ok State.  I still think Ohio State is right there for opportunities in training though. Not saying better.  I don't see Lee going MMA, but Mark Hall could someday.  

OK St was better than I thought....though I would still be able to counter with Mark Coleman, who beat Royce Gracie in Japan and which was possibly the biggest MMA tournament ever. Randleman and Coleman pile drove Fedor so hard they both were shocked when he reversed them for the won. But both were very close to beating possibly the GOAT.   They were two of the first to have success in wrestling.  Rex Holman, Sean Salmon, Adam DiSabato, and Lance Palmer are some others. Lance is doing great from what I hear.  Down the road in Cincinnati you have the Rich Franklin crew.  In Columbus you have, in boxing, Buster Douglas and everything his old Gym has to offer, plus the rich boxing tradition in Cincinnati, which is full of Olympians.  Still, I truly did underestimate Ok State.  I still think Ohio State is right there for opportunities in training though. Not saying better.  I don't see Lee going MMA, but Mark Hall could someday.  

Fishhook your enthusiasm is 2nd to none as far as your MMA recollection (perhaps only Kathy knows the sport better than you).   A couple of minor corrections.  

Although Coleman would have ripped Royce's arms off and gorilla skull fkd him with them, they never actually faced one and other.   You're probably thinking of the open weight Grand Prix tournament where Coleman defeated Japanese wrestler ,Fugita, and Russian star, Vovchanchyn via knees to the head and then followed it up with a legendary in ring celebration.   It pushed Coleman to #1 in the world and cemented him as a legend.   

Coleman also went on to break Shugun Rua's arm with a take down, but it was Kevin Randalman who suplexed Emelianenko Fedor and appeared to have killed him. jut prior to being reversed and submitted via arm lock.   

Hammer House certainly i well respected and had those two killers in it's ranks, but it i hardly active today.  In fact Mark Coleman i broke and suffering from medical issues.   There' little to no in at Ohio State to the mma world.   Certainly no where close to ASU or OSU. 

Other than those minor corrections, you're pretty much spot on.   

Kathy, anything you'd like to add via your google research prowess? 

Fishhook your enthusiasm is 2nd to none as far as your MMA recollection (perhaps only Kathy knows the sport better than you).   A couple of minor corrections.  

Although Coleman would have ripped Royce's arms off and gorilla skull fkd him with them, they never actually faced one and other.   You're probably thinking of the open weight Grand Prix tournament where Coleman defeated Japanese wrestler ,Fugita, and Russian star, Vovchanchyn via knees to the head and then followed it up with a legendary in ring celebration.   It pushed Coleman to #1 in the world and cemented him as a legend.   

Coleman also went on to break Shugun Rua's arm with a take down, but it was Kevin Randalman who suplexed Emelianenko Fedor and appeared to have killed him. jut prior to being reversed and submitted via arm lock.   

Hammer House certainly i well respected and had those two killers in it's ranks, but it i hardly active today.  In fact Mark Coleman i broke and suffering from medical issues.   There' little to no in at Ohio State to the mma world.   Certainly no where close to ASU or OSU. 

Other than those minor corrections, you're pretty much spot on.   

Kathy, anything you'd like to add via your google research prowess? 

I have lost track of some of the guys. Thanks too for the props, though I don't know if Really know all that much about MMA. THough in my opinion MMA is just wrestling rules circa WW I.   Anyway, I was friends with DiSabato and certainly know some of the guys from my time as a Buckeye walk-on.  I actually couldn't remember if Coleman beat Royce in that tourny, but that is indeed the tournament I was referencing. I was very proud of Mark that day.  I do know Mark slammed Fedor hard, though Randleman's was way harder, or at least looked worse.   Fedor was no joke though.  Still, there is wonderful fighting opportunities in Ohio, and again our boxing history is way way up there.  Anyway...I'm a total Ohio state homer.  I think these kids will be fine no matter where they go. Plenty of ways to do it in this country.  

That suplex by Randleman on Fedor was crazy.  Even crazier was Fedor keeping composure, reversing the position and getting that arm lock like it was nothing.

Randleman had a wonderful fight career.  I remember when he dropped Crocop with one punch then jumped on him and swarmed.  Dude was a complete animal.  I wrestled against a smaller version of Kevin named Dunyasha Yetts, who gave Cary Kolat, or Alan Fried, I forget anymore, a great great match.  Yetts should have gone MMA too. Instead he became an NFL agent. I believe that he represented Antoine Winfield before something went wrong between them....I'm guessing $$. 

I have lost track of some of the guys. Thanks too for the props, though I don't know if Really know all that much about MMA. THough in my opinion MMA is just wrestling rules circa WW I.   Anyway, I was friends with DiSabato and certainly know some of the guys from my time as a Buckeye walk-on.  I actually couldn't remember if Coleman beat Royce in that tourny, but that is indeed the tournament I was referencing. I was very proud of Mark that day.  I do know Mark slammed Fedor hard, though Randleman's was way harder, or at least looked worse.   Fedor was no joke though.  Still, there is wonderful fighting opportunities in Ohio, and again our boxing history is way way up there.  Anyway...I'm a total Ohio state homer.  I think these kids will be fine no matter where they go. Plenty of ways to do it in this country.  

Thank you fishhook, your recollection is fine, it is that of a fan.   A throwback, if I may.  

Nowadays, individuals who never saw the fights will rush  to fight finder, look up a guys record, and then try t o tell you about it, with zero context.   I've seen it on this board.   People speaking to one as if they are teaching them something, until they are asked a question about that night when the fight actually took place, and they begin their best stuttering Stan impersonation.  Believe you me, I'd rather throw a few cold ones back with a guy who mixes up the events he saw, than with a google champ who has seen very little, but did manage to memorize all the results.   

You are absolutely right, there is a quite a rich history and tradition from MMA, in Ohio.   those guys were the cream of the crop at one point.   I've met both Coleman and Randleman.   Good guys.   Tough guys!  And yes indeed, those boys will be just fine where ever they go. 

Edited by Cletus_Tucker