Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Can we just skip the trials and send Green to Rio at 65?

I'll better you one... Can we do what Marta Karolyi does for the USA women's gymnastics team and just pick the best 65 kg? Making that type of change to the selection process two Olympic cycles ago has launched the US women's team to become head-and-shoulders the best in the world.

Tired of Metcalf's style getting in the way of having guys out there who can generate offense and turns.  Sometimes the guys who wins the world (or Olympic) trials isn't the best guy for us on the world team.  Collegiate coaches use their discretion in lineup decisions all the time.

Edited by lu_alum

Proud of James Green tonight. He was aggressive all day and showed off his skills, talent, and hard work to win World Bronze as a rookie. Great job James!

As far as this OP, yikes, don't know how Green could possibly get down to 65 next year just looking at his physique. 

Edited by 2td3nf

No thanks. I'm proud of Green's effort out there, but before people just put him in at 65, things to remember:

1. he has to make the weight. Not as easy as you might think.

2. His run in Vegas was awesome, but it was in a cleared out weight the year before the Olymoics and he didn't beat anybody of consequence thanks to his beautiful draw. His bronze medal match win was over the 9th ranked go who's best result is a bronze at the Euro Championships.

So awesome job by Greezy, and maybe he'll win the spot, but let's have him do it first. Just shrinking down to the weight may sap him of his effectiveness.

Seriously. Metcalf lost by 1 to the top ranked guy at the weight who has won silver and bronze in the last two years. He was winning his semifinal and then got stuck by the eventual champion. Other people that didn't medal in this bracket: Gomez, Safaryan, Kaya, Haislan Garcia, freaking Asgarov. Get a grip. Green's only match against a high level guy, he got housed. He's good. He may win the spot. But he's not some "clear choice".

Edited by VakAttack

Seriously. Metcalf lost by 1 to the top ranked guy at the weight who has won silver and bronze in the last two years. He was winning his semifinal and then got stuck by the eventual champion. Other people that didn't medal in this bracket: Gomez, Safaryan, Kaya, Haislan Garcia, freaking Asgarov. Get a grip. Green's only match against a high level guy, he got housed. He's good. He may win the spot. But he's not some "clear choice".

Green had a win against the 65kg world champion a month ago.  I agree Metcalf had a good performance, but Green's was better.  I think he is the favorite to make the team at 65kg for Rio right now.  You are right though that it depends on how he handles his weight cut...If he doesn't lose a step, he will be the guy.  

Based on your argument, Varner would have been sent to this year's worlds. So no.

Not necessarily.  Snyder was Junior World champ and bronze, and Pan Am games gold.  Varner had not done anything on the world stage in 3 years.

Yes, the 65 kg champ,wrestling at 70 kg. 5 kg is a lot of weight. Metcalf has also beaten world champions. Again, who did Green beat at this tournament. I'm not saying he can't win the spot, I'm saying it's hardly a sure thing no matter how he handles the cut. Green is good, but he's not Burroughs,

What Vak said.

Obviously Green had a better tournament that Metcalf, but if a Burroughs and Snyder have to wrestle off, so does he.

If he wants to wrestle 65 he'd better start shrinking. He's make a great 74, although he might not want to wrestle his teammate Burroughs.

I've been told for years on these boards that Metcalf's international wins at yarygin, the GGP, etc don't actually mean anything because they international guys don't peak for these tournaments like we do. So now Green beats a bumped up Chamizo in an irrelevant tournament and all of a sudden these types of matches do mean something?

Of course I was kidding about skipping the trials. I'm just excited to see a potential 65kg guy win a medal on the world stage, and one with a win over the current champ as well.

I don't discount any international wins except the Beat the Streets exhibition matches.

Stieber, Pico, Green and Oliver. All people I'd like to see wrestle internationally for the US over Metcalf at next year's Olympic games. BUT they will have to beat Metcalf to make it happen (unfortunately). I would be pretty excited if they put someone else in instead of Metcalf, though. 

How about we make all the potential 65 kg candidates enter the same international tourneys over the next year and see who has the best collective performance?

The point is that the trials winner isn't necessarily the US's best representative for the Olympics.

no it isn't, but, it is the way the US has has decided it should be and it is entirely merit based...

don't like who is going?

win the spot for yourself

much better system than anything that could be politically based...

How about we make all the potential 65 kg candidates enter the same international tourneys over the next year and see who has the best collective performance?

The point is that the trials winner isn't necessarily the US's best representative for the Olympics.

Like Neal and McCoy in 2000.