Sign in to follow this  
Katie

should Burroughs step down as assistant coach at Nebraska?

Burroughs's first match with Dake at the WTTs was closer than the 6-3 score suggests, and his win over Geduev in the semifinals at worlds was razor close. Tsargush seems to have been off his A game this year (he seems to run hot and cold) but if he's back next year Burroughs could have a lot of trouble with him. He's always been Burroughs's biggest challenge IMO. Deiringer (with Smith's coaching) could also potentially make it to the OTT finals to face Burroughs. The bottom line is this: Burroughs is not head and shoulders above his competition, and he could face some new challenges next year. 

So how is he preparing? Burroughs told a reporter recently, "It's been a trying year. I've been married for a little less than two years, had a newborn son last July and also took an assistant coaching position at the University of Nebraska. It was extremely tough for me this year," Burroughs said. "I was very pressed for time. I was extremely busy. For a long time I was trying to be the best wrestler in the World in my spare time."

In contrast, just before John Smith won his sixth world-level medal, he said, "Anything that gets in my way, I pretty much eliminate. ... Put it this way: I've never had a girlfriend I've been good to, you know. Because I'd blow them off when it was time to go to work. I'd say, 'Don't come around. I don't want to (see you).' It's been hard on some of those girls. They don't understand it. But it's like, 'Hey, I'm in love with this more than I am with you.' I've probably hurt a lot of people because of this. But you gotta do what you gotta do if this is what you want."

Is it time for Burroughs to take a break from coaching? Should he focus more on being an athlete first and foremost? Another Olympic gold would make it more than worth his while financially.

Edited by Katie

Well, of course, a little different situation, but Kyle Synder is stepping down from tOSU this year to Olympic redshirt.

After I read that same JB quote, I was thinking the same thing. But then again, I'm not behind the scenes, and I have no clue about all his options.

So not that it means anything, but he gets my vote to Olympic redshirt and do what he has to do this year to win gold in Rio.

Burroughs's first match with Dake at the WTTs was closer than the 6-3 score suggests, and his win over Geduev in the semifinals at worlds was razor close. Tsargush seems to have been off his A game this year (he seems to run hot and cold) but if he's back next year Burroughs could have a lot of trouble with him. He's always been Burroughs's biggest challenge IMO. Deiringer (with Smith's coaching) could also potentially make it to the OTT finals to face Burroughs. The bottom line is this: Burroughs is not head and shoulders above his competition, and he could face some new challenges next year. 

So how is he preparing? Burroughs told a reporter recently, "It's been a trying year. I've been married for a little less than two years, had a newborn son last July and also took an assistant coaching position at the University of Nebraska. It was extremely tough for me this year," Burroughs said. "I was very pressed for time. I was extremely busy. For a long time I was trying to be the best wrestler in the World in my spare time."

In contrast, just before John Smith won his sixth world-level medal, he said, "Anything that gets in my way, I pretty much eliminate. ... Put it this way: I've never had a girlfriend I've been good to, you know. Because I'd blow them off when it was time to go to work. I'd say, 'Don't come around. I don't want to (see you).' It's been hard on some of those girls. They don't understand it. But it's like, 'Hey, I'm in love with this more than I am with you.' I've probably hurt a lot of people because of this. But you gotta do what you gotta do if this is what you want."

Is it time for Burroughs to take a break from coaching? Should he focus more on being an athlete first and foremost? Another Olympic gold would make it more than worth his while financially.

Do you know what Bruce Baumgarder did after winning the 1984 Olympics?  I can tell you first hand having been on the receiving end of his lack of focus :) Bruce was also married at that time and starting a family in pretty austre conditions as far as facillities and programs go.

People have to make a living. What impressed me most about Burroughs was how unimpressive his wins were in some matches. A 6-3 bout with Dake followed by a complete thumping. A first round nail biter and a semi final clutch takedown. He worked through the distractions and still came out smiling. No need to quit coaching. Unless USAW is going to fully fund him and pay his bills through 2016 and beyond, he is going to need to work.

Do you know what Bruce Baumgarder did after winning the 1984 Olympics?  I can tell you first hand having been on the receiving end of his lack of focus :) Bruce was also married at that time and starting a family in pretty austre conditions as far as facillities and programs go.

Apples and oranges.

There's a big difference between 1) the weakest weight class in an era of ten Olympic weight classes and the Soviet Union blocking half the current medalist countries from competing and no internet; and 2) one of the most competitive weight classes in an era of six Olympic weight classes and former Soviet republics competing and being the most scouted wrestler on the planet (and most of your matches are online).

It is a hobby when you have a family and have to pay bills and I doubt most will say the family is the hobby.  It is a huge sacrifice.  JB is lucky he has some sponsors.  Most guys do not and have to figure it out.  Wrestling is not going to make anyone indepentantly wealthy. Iowa's football coach made more in one year than Gable likely did in his lifetime.

I would hardly call the HWT class weak by any stretch of the imagination.  John Smith wrestled with a broken hand in 88 and a staph infection in 92.  Kenny Monday wrestled 92 with an elbow injury.  Point is, distractions are a regular part of training, be it injury, family, or financial.  Until they become fully funded and paid enough to do nothing but train, wrestlers will never be distraction free.

he already did step down.

jason powell has his position.

i will say though, Katie, even the best guys on earth have close matches and even take a loss here and there. i wouldn't agree that having close matches and even taking a loss now and again is a reflection of, well, anything.

the world has many amazing wrestlers. heck, Russia had like 3 2014 World Champs riding the pine for 2015 Worlds.

there are always going to be close matches.

only 3 or the 8 2014 WC's repeated i think - Aliyev, Sadulaev, and Akgul

Edited by Husker_Du

i will say though, Katie, even the best guys on earth have close matches and even take a loss here and there. i wouldn't agree that having close matches and even taking a loss now and again is a reflection of, well, anything.

the world has many amazing wrestlers. heck, Russia had like 3 2014 World Champs riding the pine for 2015 Worlds.

Osamu Watanabe: 186-0 and never taken down

You're right it's totally a good sign when you're third best wrestler ever is still in his prime and says he feels like wrestling is something he does in his spare time. Good thinking.

Just because John Smith was a ladies man killing the dating game doesnt mean a married JB should forgo his income to train.

Certainly Sadulaev, and I believe the other 2 also are quite a bit younger than JB.

It will be interesting to see how much longer JB can remain dominant.

As he himself admitted, he's got a lot on his plate, what with fatherhood and marriage and coaching.

He's had some serious injuries over the years.

I wish him the best.  He's a great champion and a fantastic ambassador for our sport, but as they say "time waits for no man."

So how is he preparing? Burroughs told a reporter recently, "It's been a trying year. I've been married for a little less than two years, had a newborn son last July and also took an assistant coaching position at the University of Nebraska. It was extremely tough for me this year," Burroughs said. "I was very pressed for time. I was extremely busy. For a long time I was trying to be the best wrestler in the World in my spare time."

In contrast, just before John Smith won his sixth world-level medal, he said, "Anything that gets in my way, I pretty much eliminate. ... Put it this way: I've never had a girlfriend I've been good to, you know. Because I'd blow them off when it was time to go to work. I'd say, 'Don't come around. I don't want to (see you).' It's been hard on some of those girls. They don't understand it. But it's like, 'Hey, I'm in love with this more than I am with you.' I've probably hurt a lot of people because of this. But you gotta do what you gotta do if this is what you want."

Agree with Katie... Glad he stepped down and is focusing on training full time.