Sign in to follow this  
WillieBoy

The crowds in Vegas...

Yes, having the World Championships in the USA very well could be a "once in a lifetime" opportunity.

Really wanted to go Vegas. If all of MF was just Friday and Saturday, I was there, and would have paid whatever to get in those 2 days.

At least we put a value on the cost of a ticket for this event. In Baku in 2007, there was no admission cost. Same with Junior Worlds in Thailand in 2012. Can't remember if other Worlds in recent memory have tickets or not. 

There is also a complete disconnect between the American fanbase and the sport of wrestling. We'll complain just about anything as a reason for not going. The smallest thing can prevent us from spending even a dime. 

I still think we have more than enough fans to fill 7,500 seats for six days AND 17,000 for three days in March. Or is that all we have with some disposable income? Yes, women and greco inconvenience us, so we just won't go. Is that it?

I hate to be a cynic in this case, but the World Championships are in a place everyone has always clamored to bring events to, and when events show up, then what? This isn't new. It's been in this format since 2005. In fact, this was one day SHORTER than it's been in previous years. It's not like it surprised anyone with the week-long format. It's been 18 months since this was announced.

If we've got a million ex-wrestlers out there, do we have 993,000 excuses as why we couldn't fill that place EVERY session? Am I missing something?  

Yes, having the World Championships in the USA very well could be a "once in a lifetime" opportunity.

Really wanted to go Vegas. If all of MF was just Friday and Saturday, I was there, and would have paid whatever to get in those 2 days.

7 out of the 8 weight classes for MF were Friday and Saturday!  You must be a really big Metcalf fan.

Yup, big Metcalf fan, but did not want to miss 65kg, especially this year.

Sorry if my post came off a little arrogant, but would have been traveling and missed 65. Couldn't get there for 65. No disrespect to WF or Greco.   

Edited by 2td3nf

Allstate Arena

What's the point of having it at Allstate if only half of the stadium will be filled? There were only 7,000 fans for the finals in Vegas Saturday night? What about the other sessions that didn't have Jordan Burroughs competing? Allstate holds 18,500 for concerts and 16,100-plus for arena football at a minimum. That would be embarrassing would for the sport.

I think Jason Bryant is on par with his assessment of how unbelievably fickle the American wrestling crowds are. Short of making Worlds free and offering free housing, food and transportation, American fans will always find some reason to not attend. The biggest enemy of the sport of wrestling in America isn't Title IX, Athletics Directors or wimpy parents, it's its own fanbase.

The wrestling fanbase is relatively small compared to the other big sports. I am not sure if it is a marketing issue or if there is a cut and dried solution to putting butts in seats as the saying goes.

Yes, wrestling's fanbase is small in relation to the major sports. However, NCAAs routinely sell out Scottrade Center in St. Louis. Didn't World Team TRIALS sell out at Carver-Hawkeye a few years ago? That seats nearly 16,000 people. (Heck, if it weren't for the Hawkeye fans, that thing might have been as bad as the World tournament this year) Worlds could only manage 7,000 on the day Jordan Burroughs was going to wrestle? Jason Bryant said that the World tournament has been on the books and been marketed since the day it was announced that Vegas would have it, some 18 months ago. I honestly don't believe that marketing is the issue here.

Yes, wrestling's fanbase is small in relation to the major sports. However, NCAAs routinely sell out Scottrade Center in St. Louis. Didn't World Team TRIALS sell out at Carver-Hawkeye a few years ago? That seats nearly 16,000 people. (Heck, if it weren't for the Hawkeye fans, that thing might have been as bad as the World tournament this year) Worlds could only manage 7,000 on the day Jordan Burroughs was going to wrestle? Jason Bryant said that the World tournament has been on the books and been marketed since the day it was announced that Vegas would have it, some 18 months ago. I honestly don't believe that marketing is the issue here.

This is interesting that you point out Carver-Hawkeye sold out.  Maybe there is something to taking these venues to the areas where the fans are.  Notice just on these forums that the post about Metcalf has over 27000 views!  I think it is a combination of "love them or hate them" but Iowa fans should be applauded for their support.  

This is interesting that you point out Carver-Hawkeye sold out.  Maybe there is something to taking these venues to the areas where the fans are.  Notice just on these forums that the post about Metcalf has over 27000 views!  I think it is a combination of "love them or hate them" but Iowa fans should be applauded for their support.  

Pennsy,

I struggle with this idea. On one hand, I think you're right. Let's reward the best, most attentive fans in the sport. On the other hand, if we're going to grow wrestling in the United States, forcing people to always go to the same places isn't the way to do it. I believe Plasmodium's assessment above is one of our biggest problems as a sport in this country. I wonder if it's like that in other sports.

The ONLY reason I attended Worlds this year WAS because of its location in Las Vegas. My wife "allowed" me to go, as she tagged along as well. We have easy access to a time-share near South Point, so I could go watch wrestling all day, while she did her spa/salon thing. Regardless to say, it was an easy sell on my part, convincing her to book a "resort" in Iowa City, may take a little more....

There was a large and very loud pro-Metcalf crowd during the first session on Thursday, but many of them did not make it to the second session that day. The cheering was not nearly as loud for Ramos, leading me to believe it was a pro-Metcalf more than pro-Hawkeye group.