Sign in to follow this  
newyorkwrestler

Interviews of foreign athletes

I have seen the interviews of all the American athletes, but does anyone know If the other athletes did press conferences? I saw a few interviews on wrestrus.ru that said that Lebedev had a knee injury, gazimagomedov has not decided if he will drop or go up in weight but the national team coach wants him to go up, and that makhov said he will only wrestle in one style at the olympics but doesn't know which yet. although this is all from google translate so it could have translated the info wrong. I have not been able to find any interviews from other athletes however

From the interviews I read:

Sadulaev said that in the final, the opponent knew his style well (he is also from Dagestan apparently, representing Turkey). He also said its all God's will and he can lose at any point. In general, he seems to be quite a modest person that trains super hard. 

Gagisov didn't say much except he was super tired (also said by Sadulaev) and had no strength in the final which affected his defense badly. He said home crowd did not really disturb him.

Makhov said as people know, that he will compete in 1 style only. Sajidov apparently told him many times before to go for 1 style only.

Ramonov, i didn't read an interview, but coaches are OK with his medal, though some say could be better. They know he made a silly mistake.

Lebedev apparently had a problematic knee.

Geduev said that he came for gold, but needs to train more, that today the luck was with JB, next time with him, but needs to train more. They asked him who is stronger Tsargush or Burroughs as he is a common opponent for both, and he answered that T already beat JB. Some of the coaches said Geduev started implementing his attacking plan too late and that if he had started doing it earlier, he would have won.

Bogomoev was nowhere to be found. :) And i did not find many comments about him.

The coach, Guseinov, said that the performance was 'decent', but not that good, they wanted at least 3 gold medals. He also said Makhov was the only one that could have placed well for Rio.

Generally, it seems that the Russians consider this championship more on the 'experimental' side to get experience with Rio (e.g., makhov in 2 styles, acclimatizaiton issues, etc), which seems much more important for them than these Worlds. They seem confident that many of their bad results will not repeat in Rio where they will be much better prepared. In particular, it seems they think Snyder over Gads won't repeat, that Lebedev will be healthy, that Makhov will focus on 1 style only, etc.

Sadulaev said that in the final, the opponent knew his style well (he is also from Dagestan apparently, representing Turkey). He also said its all God's will and he can lose at any point. In general, he seems to be quite a modest person that trains super hard. 

Gagisov didn't say much except he was super tired (also said by Sadulaev) and had no strength in the final which affected his defense badly. He said home crowd did not really disturb him.

Makhov said as people know, that he will compete in 1 style only. Sajidov apparently told him many times before to go for 1 style only.

Ramonov, i didn't read an interview, but coaches are OK with his medal, though some say could be better. They know he made a silly mistake.

Geduev said that he came for gold, but needs to train more, that today the luck was with JB, next time with him, but needs to train more. They asked him who is stronger Tsargush or Burroughs as he is a common opponent for both, and he answered that T already beat JB. Some of the coaches said Geduev started implementing his attacking plan too late and that if he had started doing it earlier, he would have won.

Bogomoev was nowhere to be found. :) And i did not find many comments about him.

The coach, Guseinov, said that the performance was 'decent', but not that good, they wanted at least 3 gold medals. He also said Makhov was the only one that could have placed well for Rio.

Generally, it seems that the Russians consider this championship more on the 'experimental' side to get experience with Rio (e.g., makhov in 2 styles, acclimatizaiton issues, etc), which seems much more important for them than these Worlds. They seem confident that many of their bad results will not repeat in Rio where they will be much better prepared. In particular, it seems they think Snyder over Gads won't repeat, that Lebedev will be healthy, that Makhov will focus on 1 style only, etc.

They sound like the US fans with a bunch of excuses for our wrestlers who underperfrom...

Especially Geduev: luck was with JB and that Tsargush is better becasue he beat him once (vs. the two times that a healthy JB won)

Chamizo said his gold medal feels special and he takes a lot of pride in his success, which came at the end of a great season.

He thanked the Army, that recruited him, and his supporters, including his wife. He hopes she will get the pass for Rio, so they can win the Olympics together.

Chamizo said his gold medal feels special and he takes a lot of pride in his success, which came at the end of a great season.

He thanked the Army, that recruited him, and his supporters, including his wife. He hopes she will get the pass for Rio, so they can win the Olympics together.

Is his wife a good wrestler? Does she have a chance for gold? 

I don't think Geduev will be Russia's 74kg for the Olympics. They packed on every ounce of muscle they could and peaked him for Vegas. I don't see how he can improve and keep him at the level he is at for a year. JB can finish those two takedowns with some minor technique tweaks and the td JB gave up was just from him being too aggressive and opening up too much. I don't see anyone beating him.

Thanks for doing this.  Very inciteful and interesting!

Mongolian TV showed back stage interview of Nomin Batbold (61KG Silver). He thanked his parents, trainers/coaches and said that "he wanted to turn his coach's World silver medals into gold by winning the Title. However in the final against Haji Aliyev, he had fallen to 2 similar techniques and could not get into his rhythm." 

I hope he moves up 65kg in Rio otherwise he has to beat out Bekhbayar who won Bronze this year at 57KG. Our wrestler at 65KG seemed to be missing the drive to win at times. He lost against Navruzov in the semis by tech fall and he had no business losing to Ramonov in the Bronze medal match.