Sign in to follow this  
UM158

Greatest Wrestler from your State(HS, NCAA, International)

In Michigan:

High School:

1. Brett Metcalf

2. Nick Simmions

3. Tim Balzieski, Pat Boyd & Adam Coon

NCAA:

1. Mark Churella

2. Brett Metcalf

3. Andre Metzger

Internaional

1. Kevin Jackson

2. Zeke Jones

3. Steve Fraser

For Michigan don't forget Justin Zeerip, 260-0 in HS.  That's a record that believe will never be topped, as Michigan reduced the amount of available matches that a team can compete in.  

In Justin's era the regular season had 16 dates, 8 of which could be 5 match days (most individual tournaments would only be 2-4 matches in the winners' bracket) 

With 8 team tournament Saturdays, that's 40+16 -> 56 regular season matches.

The team and individual tournaments are separate as follows:

2 at team district, 2 at team regional, 3 at team state, assuming that the team is that good to make the finals. -> 7 more,

The individual tournament is as follows:

4 at indiv. district (16man chart), 3 at indiv, regional (8man chart) 4 at indiv. state (16man chart) -> 11more

That allows for a theoretical maximum of 74 per season.

Justin won 260 matches / 4 seasons averages to 65 wins per season.  

If you factor in the typical conference tournament that his team went to he would have only had 2 matches on that day where 5 were allowed, and that he likely drew a bye in the 1st round at districts each year, that eliminates 4 matches from his schedule.

The current Michigan rules have 14 max dates, with 8 of them allowed to be 5 match days.  The post season is unchanged.

For another wrestler in Michigan to beat Justin the following would have to happen.

current maximum is as follows: 40 saturday matches + 12 weekday matches -> 52.  Which is 4 matches less than previously allowed.  

With the same 4 match subtraction for conference and districts, that puts the new theoretical max at 66 x 4 years -> 264.

This is with the team having the maximum amount of team (5 duals) tournaments, having a double dual every week and the team making the state final every year for his 4 years. Not bloody likely.

That's a long post, but I've been wanting to put it on paper for a while.  

I realize that his success was not as great in college, and he was in the small school division in high school . . . but like I said, 260-0 in HS will not likely happen again.

Good lord that is hard. From Ohio

High School: Alan Fried, Luke Fickell, David Taylor, J Jaggers, Harry Lester, Dustin Schlatter, Logan Steiber

College: Logan Steiber, Kevin Randleman, David Taylor, Tommy Rowlands, Jim Jordan (beat John Smith in NCAAs)

International: Lee Kemp hands down,  Mark Coleman world silver, Bobby Douglas, 

MMA: No huge fan, BUT: Mark Coleman, Kevin Randleman, Rich Franklin

Iowa

H.S.

1.Dan Gable

2. Jeff McGinness

3.Jeff Kerber  Dan Knight

College

Dan Gable

Jim Zelesky   Barry Davis

Tom Brands.  Terry Brands

\

International

Dan Gable

Tom and Terry Brands\

Chuck Yagla   Glen Brand.

Ohio

High School:  Stieber, Taylor, D. Schlatter and Alan Fried (tie)

College:  Stieber, Kemp and a tie between Taylor, Pat Milkovich and Tom Rowlands (a 4x finalist if he doesn't sprain his ankle during semis his jr year)

Post Collegiate:  Kemp, Lester and Greg Wojciechowski 

Ohio

High School:  Stieber, Taylor, D. Schlatter and Alan Fried (tie)

College:  Stieber, Kemp and a tie between Taylor, Pat Milkovich and Tom Rowlands (a 4x finalist if he doesn't sprain his ankle during semis his jr year)

Post Collegiate:  Kemp, Lester and Greg Wojciechowski 

Randleman was a three time finalist with a pinfall in one finals, leading up to his senior year, where he flunked out with a recorded 0.0.  I suspect that is about the time MMA came calling.  He was on track to be a 3 time champ 4 time finalist.  You may have known that.  Still that's why he made mine, along with the beasts on your list. I forgot Wojo too.  '

FWIW I almost put Tom MIlkovich on my HIgh School list. 

Edited by Fishhook

CA

HS

Zahid Valencia(3x).  Vasquez has 4, but Zahid and Anthony wrestled at the toughest national tournaments and had incredible success.  I think that easily puts Zahid on top.  Anthony would be second and Pico would easily be up there too, but he only wrestled 1 year of HS.

NCAA.  This is tough

Mark Schultz(3x), Eric Guerrero(3x), Stephen Abas(3x), Marty Kistler(3x)

honorable mentions would be John Azevedo and Gonzo Gonzales

EDIT:  I thought about it more and I had to put Varner as an honorable mention for NCAA.  2x and 4x finalist

International

Dave Schultz

Long time leaders/coaches

J Robinson(U of Minn)

Bruce Burnett(USA Wrestling)

Edited by CA_Wrestler

HS

Kenny Monday

Mike Sheets

NCAA

Pat Smith

Post Collegiate: John Smith

I disagree with you here. Although Pat Smith was a 4X NCAA champion, I don't think he was the greatest NCAA wrestler from the state of Oklahoma.  Is he the NCAA wrestler with the most NCAA titles?  Yes, he is.  The greatest NCAA wrestler from Oklahoma, though, is John Smith.  He was the best wrestler in the world for his last two years..Not many NCAA wrestlers can make that claim.  

Fishhook:  No argument as to how great Randleman was.  If forced to make a list, however, of Ohio's greatest collegiate competitors, my top three would be Stieber, Taylor and Kemp--not necessarily in that order--due to dominance.  Stieber and Taylor destroyed almost everyone they faced while Kemp should have been the first 4 timer.  

Fishhook:  No argument as to how great Randleman was.  If forced to make a list, however, of Ohio's greatest collegiate competitors, my top three would be Stieber, Taylor and Kemp--not necessarily in that order--due to dominance.  Stieber and Taylor destroyed almost everyone they faced while Kemp should have been the first 4 timer.  

No Argument. 

I will say that perhaps the most dominant High Schooler in Ohio history may have been Luke Fickell. 3 time Fargo champion I believe. His senior year, nearly all matches were about 30 seconds.  He went to football, then during his sophomore year, came out for wrestling after being rusty and gave Kerry McCoy a very good match. had he focused on Wrestling there is no doubt in my mind he would have taken McCoy out eventually, if not that night. He chose well doing the football thing though.  Anyway good picks!!!