Sign in to follow this  
UM158

Greatest Wrestler from your State(HS, NCAA, International)

For my Michigan Friends I should have added Mike Murdoch to the High School list.

BadgerMon  I say Metcalf over Andre in college and great point about Jimmy Jackson 3x champion

Could add Andre to the international list....

For my friends in OR....The Best High School Wrestler is Joe Russell.  in fact IMO he was the Best HS ever....Even beating Andre while he was in HS.

Just my Opinion!!

Edited by UM158

For my Michigan Friends I should have added Mike Murdoch to the High School list.

BagerMom  I say Metcalf over Andre in college and great point about Jimmy Jackson 3x champion

Could add Andre to the international list....

For my friends in OR....The Best High School Wrestler is Joe Russell.  in fact IMO he was the Best HS ever....Even beating Andre while he was in HS.

Just my Opinion!!

Hey spell my name right if you are going to pimp me, Joe! haha.

We have a common friend who could enlighten you on whom would beat whom there.

Metz was just plain ornerier. And huge at 145.5.

As for Michigan, I've heard that Amos Goodlow was pretty amazing in his own right, but not a four timer.

Edited by BadgerMon

MO

HS - Scott Schatzman

College - Sammie Henson

International - Sammie Henson

I agree with Henson for College & Intl, but I might consider TJ Hill for HS.  His list of cadet and junior accomplishments is ridiculous.  I think if he could have stayed in college he would have surpassed Sammie for collegiate accomplishments, too.  

HS would be extremely tough to decipher

College: Gray Simons, 4x NAIA champion, 3x NCAA Champion

Olympic: Probably Pete Blair. Simons wrestled in two Olympics, but Blair won an Olympic bronze even though the legend is he was a backup in high school at Granby and sprouted up when he hit the Naval Academy and did pretty well there. 

Hey spell my name right if you are going to pimp me, Joe! haha.

We have a common friend who could enlighten you on whom would beat whom there.

Metz was just plain ornerier. And huge at 145.5.

As for Michigan, I've heard that Amos Goodlow was pretty amazing in his own right, but not a four timer.

Corrections have been made BadgerMon...LOL!  Metz & Metcalf would be a fun match to watch! 

Indiana:

HS: Lance Ellis (4x, undefeated), Alex Tsirtsis (4x, undefeated), Angel Escobedo (4x, one out-of-state loss), Andrew Howe (3x, only loss as freshman to senior Reece Humphrey)

College: Howe (Champ, 4x top 3), Escobedo (champ, 3x AA), Charles McDaniel (champ '35, '38; runner-up '36), Jason Tsirtsis (champ, 2 for 2 top 3 so far)

International: Don't think there have been any medals...Escobedo 5th, Humphrey 3x world team

Indiana:

HS: Lance Ellis (4x, undefeated), Alex Tsirtsis (4x, undefeated), Angel Escobedo (4x, one out-of-state loss), Andrew Howe (3x, only loss as freshman to senior Reece Humphrey)

College: Howe (Champ, 4x top 3), Escobedo (champ, 3x AA), Charles McDaniel (champ '35, '38; runner-up '36), Jason Tsirtsis (champ, 2 for 2 top 3 so far)

International: Don't think there have been any medals...Escobedo 5th, Humphrey 3x world team

Erm....Doug Blubaugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CA

HS

Zahid Valencia(3x).  Vasquez has 4, but Zahid and Anthony wrestled at the toughest national tournaments and had incredible success.  I think that easily puts Zahid on top.  

No argument that Zahid has been one of the best coming out of HS in recent California history, but I don't think it's fair to say he's easily on top. Just looking back about a decade, if you made a mythical 8 man pound-for-pound bracket of Zahid Valencia, Anthony Valencia, Isaiah Martinez, Morgan McIntosh, Jason Welch, Alex Cisneros, Nikko Villareal, and Nick Nevills, no way does Zahid easily come out on top. Some other names could easily be in the mix as well. 

Seeding this mythical 8 man bracket would he hard. Based on what I witnessed of their HS careers here in California, the only 2 on that list that I think I could not justify as the #1 seed would be Cisneros and Villareal. To me, as amazing as they both were in HS, they didn't dominate to the degree the other guys did. The other 6 on that list though...a good argument could be made for each of them being the #1 seed. 

Dave Auble, from Ithaca, was a 2X NCAA champ (1960 NCAA OW) for Cornell and only lost one match in college. Back in Auble's years in high school, NY did not have state championships. Auble also was an excellent freestyler.

Actually, as I recall, Blatnick won Olympic Greco Gold the year most of the best Greco were not entered. I've never head anyone argue that was a world-class Greco field.

I have heard of Auble before thanks to some former HS teammates who attended Ithaca college his name did escape me in my previous post I don't think I'll disagree on the Blatnick comment however I couldn't think of many other New Yorkers with Olympic medals which is why I only had him down but I'm remembering one now so I'll fix my post

I can't believe you didn't put my good buddy Mitch Clark! NCAA....maybe best big leg rider in the last 20+ years and a leg tech fall/ clinic in the NCAA finals. Though there are some damn hammers in your list. Seems Mitch would be ahead of OConner and maybe even Nickerson IMO

I did miss Mitch him and his brother were both tough as nails and I can agree with being ahead of O'conner I don't have my list in any particular order tho

No argument that Zahid has been one of the best coming out of HS in recent California history, but I don't think it's fair to say he's easily on top. Just looking back about a decade, if you made a mythical 8 man pound-for-pound bracket of Zahid Valencia, Anthony Valencia, Isaiah Martinez, Morgan McIntosh, Jason Welch, Alex Cisneros, Nikko Villareal, and Nick Nevills, no way does Zahid easily come out on top. Some other names could easily be in the mix as well. 

Seeding this mythical 8 man bracket would he hard. Based on what I witnessed of their HS careers here in California, the only 2 on that list that I think I could not justify as the #1 seed would be Cisneros and Villareal. To me, as amazing as they both were in HS, they didn't dominate to the degree the other guys did. The other 6 on that list though...a good argument could be made for each of them being the #1 seed. 

It's true it's tough, but I still say Zahid is #1.

Since all of these guys are 3 timers- Nevills, Welch, McIntosh and Martinez along with the Valencias, look at their other national titles or World Team accolades while in HS.

None of those guys have accomplished as much as Zahid nationally while in HS and I know how good all of those guys were.  Especially McIntosh and Nevills.

Zahid:

4x Ironman champ

Freakshow champ 2010, 2011, 2012

4x Doc B champ

3x CA State champ

FloNationals champ 2012, 5TH as a 7th grader(2010)

Cliff Keen Folkstyle Nationals champ 2013, 2014

USAW Freestyle National champ 2012, 2013

USAW Greco champ 2013

Super 32 champ 2014

2015 Jr World team

and I know I missed some other tournaments

164-1 in HS

Of course, that's just my opinion

Edited by CA_Wrestler

I love Mitch Clark as well, but ahead of Nickerson??  You  must be real good buddies with him!lol

Depends what you are going by IMO.  I can't think of Troy being known for a series of moves quite like Mitch on top and in funk positions. And while Troy had more NCAA placements, he never dominated the field as much as Mitch did his senior year when he tech'd his guy in the second period in the Finals.  And yeah I was great friends with Mitch. Haven't seen him in years.  No doubt Troy Nickerson was awesome too.m 

As someone else said, Doug Blubaugh was from Oklahoma...association with Indiana was his coaching tenure.

Well...then he needs to get on the Oklahoma list and fast. A pin of an unbeaten wrestler (Over his lifetime until Blubaugh)  in the world finals counts as pretty awesome. He was voted world's outstanding wrestler and had int he 1950's arms and shoulders that any modern wrestler would trade for.  Just a beast. 

Team Oregon:

High School

1. Dan Russell

2. Les Gutches*

3. Oscar Wood*

* - 3 x champs but numerous cadet & junior national titles.  Also, many 4x state champs that could be on this list.  Certainly up for debate!

College

1. Jess Lewis

2.  Les Gutches

3. Greg Strobel

International

1.  Robin Reed

2.  Fred Fozzard

3.  Rick Sanders

I would add Dan Hicks 2x champ and Howard Harris to College.  Matt Lindland for International.  Bobby Janisse and Joe Russell for High school.. Lots of great names to look at .

The Empire State

High School - Jesse Jantzen, Ryan Needle, Troy Nickerson, JP O'Connor, Ian Paddock, Lou Ruggirello, the Meys bros, Nick Arujua, Quentin Murphy, Brian Realbuto, Nick Piccinini

College - Carl Adams, the Bannick Bros, Gene Mills, Nick Gallo, Jesse Jantzen, Kerry Mcoy, Brad Penrith, Mitch Clark, Troy Nickerson, Gregor Gillespie, JP O'Connor, Kyle Dake

International - Gene Mills, Jeff Blatnick, Kerry Mcoy

MMA - Jon Jones :)

Glaring omission on the high school list, leaving off Adam Mariano.   

It's true it's tough, but I still say Zahid is #1.

Since all of these guys are 3 timers- Nevills, Welch, McIntosh and Martinez along with the Valencias, look at their other national titles or World Team accolades while in HS.

None of those guys have accomplished as much as Zahid nationally while in HS and I know how good all of those guys were.  Especially McIntosh and Nevills.

Zahid:

4x Ironman champ

Freakshow champ 2010, 2011, 2012

4x Doc B champ

3x CA State champ

FloNationals champ 2012, 5TH as a 7th grader(2010)

Cliff Keen Folkstyle Nationals champ 2013, 2014

USAW Freestyle National champ 2012, 2013

USAW Greco champ 2013

Super 32 champ 2014

2015 Jr World team

and I know I missed some other tournaments

164-1 in HS

Of course, that's just my opinion

Guerrero Abas and Jackson belong on any California HS list and some college lists as well.   

HS

Kenny Monday

Mike Sheets

NCAA

Pat Smith

Post Collegiate: John Smith

I disagree with you here. Although Pat Smith was a 4X NCAA champion, I don't think he was the greatest NCAA wrestler from the state of Oklahoma.  Is he the NCAA wrestler with the most NCAA titles?  Yes, he is.  The greatest NCAA wrestler from Oklahoma, though, is John Smith.  He was the best wrestler in the world for his last two years..Not many NCAA wrestlers can make that claim.  

The list for Oklahoma is so hard

HS: along with Sheets and Monday, Lightner, Hodge, Teyon, TJ Jaworsky, Todd Chesbro, Matt Grice, Shane Roller and those are just some of the 4 timers except Sheets.

NCAA: Dick Hutton, a ref's decision away from becoming the first 4 time champ, Dan Hodge, Pat Smith, Johnny Thompson, Teyon,  Johny Hendricks, Tommy Evans, Wayne and Mickey Martin(both OW) so many others that I am forgetting ATM

Olympics: John Smith, Wayne Wells, Shelby Wilson, Kendall Cross, Monday

Professional: Hodge, Jack Brisco, Dr Death, Cowboy Bill Watts, Leroy McGuirk

Feel free too add to the list, so many.....

Edited by KingK0ng

I have heard of Auble before thanks to some former HS teammates who attended Ithaca college his name did escape me in my previous post I don't think I'll disagree on the Blatnick comment however I couldn't think of many other New Yorkers with Olympic medals which is why I only had him down but I'm remembering one now so I'll fix my post

Both Ed & Lou Banach won gold in '84.  Given their Olympic success and multiple national titles at Iowa they have the best overall resume's of any NY'ers I can think of.