Sign in to follow this  
UM158

Greatest Wrestler from your State(HS, NCAA, International)

This is a great topic. I am thinking that this is a fun way to celebrate many of the wrestlers who have participated in our sport……..over the decades.

Good show -UM 158 !

Edited by denny

BadgerMon- I thought the exact same thing when I saw Fishhook's post. Kemp is easily ahead of everyone named except Stieber. An argument could even be made to have Kemp ahead of Stieber despite the one less title.

Lee Kemp had won 3 NCAA titles by the age that Logan had won one, not to mention a WC the summer he graduated. "Jordan-esque", you might say, that and he hadn't tasted loss to a collegian since his freshman year when he was just 18.

First I checked this message board in quite some time:

Pennsylvania

HS - Kolat but would want to also include Kwortnik, Wildasin, Garrett Scott, Marsteller, Haines, etc.  There's a current wrestler that will soon join this list.

NCAA - Ruth and then Bonomo and Jones

International - Angle

Maybe I overlooked it, but I don't think I saw Jeff Prescott for NY and if Bob Truby stays in MD his entire HS career, he's a 4-time state champ no question.

Florida:

High School - David Craig, Eric Grajales

NCAA - Chris Bono, Franklin Gomez

International - Franklin Gomez (for Puerto Rico)

I would add Jason Robbins to the High School list along with Jared Frayer and Sam Hazewinkel for the international 

Just food for thought. Dave Shultz Senior year of high school, he was 2nd at Tiblisi...considered tougher than the Worlds back then. He won the Great Plains Freestyle Tourney with several AA's. In the finals, he pinned Chuck Yagla, the OW from the previous NCAA.

^^There was a phenomenal kid who was a senior in high school in Kentucky the 1973-74 season.  He had made the 1972 U.S. Men's Olympic Freestyle team and placed 12th in the 1972 Olympics at 114.5 pounds.  In Dec of 1973, as a high school senior, he competed in the Midlands, won the event, beating the defending NCAA champ in the finals and was selected Midlands' OW.  Incredible accomplishments for a high school kid!

Just food for thought. Dave Shultz Senior year of high school, he was 2nd at Tiblisi...considered tougher than the Worlds back then. He won the Great Plains Freestyle Tourney with several AA's. In the finals, he pinned Chuck Yagla, the OW from the previous NCAA.

Wow.

This definitely wasn't forgotten by me, but I took into consideration an entire HS career of 4 years.  If it were just one year, it would be Schultz's because of the Tbilisi and Great Plains tourneys.

There were a few guys we really looked up to in our HS room.  Dave Schultz, Mark Schultz, John Smith and Gable.  Especially Dave and Mark since they're from CA.

Chris Owens was the best I've ever seen. No disrespect to Jared but it isn't close.

Chris was phenomenal - No doubt about it - maybe they should be "co-best" but to say it "isn't close" is completely inaccurate. Both undefeated state champs - Jared definitely had the better college career and international career. The bummer for Chris, is that in those days there were match limits in Idaho and not as many tournaments to get to outside of Idaho as there were 12 years later.

High School: Logan Storley

College: Lincoln McIlravy

International: Randy Lewis

Anyone of these three could also be the man for the high school best ever.

Also hard to exclude Kirk Wallman, who went 201-0-0 6th grade thru 12th.

Riley Reiff was an almost untouchable high school heavyweight for three years, 121-1, then had wrist surgery his senior year so he didn't compete. His loss was as a freshman to a friend.

He's in the NFL now, playing for the Detroit Lions.

Chris was phenomenal - No doubt about it - maybe they should be "co-best" but to say it "isn't close" is completely inaccurate. Both undefeated state champs - Jared definitely had the better college career and international career. The bummer for Chris, is that in those days there were match limits in Idaho and not as many tournaments to get to outside of Idaho as there were 12 years later.

Well..Chris actually had a lot of success outside of Idaho which is why he was recruited so heavily by teams such as Oky State. It is just my opinion anyway since not many of the 4 timers (and there have been others besides Chris and Jared) met head to head. What about including Hayden Tuma? He had more HS success outside Idaho than either Chris or Jared. 

Edited by uphillBronco

Anyone of these three could also be the man for the high school best ever.

Also hard to exclude Kirk Wallman, who went 201-0-0 6th grade thru 12th.

Riley Reiff was an almost untouchable high school heavyweight for three years, 121-1, then had wrist surgery his senior year so he didn't compete. His loss was as a freshman to a friend.

He's in the NFL now, playing for the Detroit Lions.

Agreed. Having grown up in Webster, I have a bias and had to throw Storley in there. Kirk is obviously a lock for at least a share of that "Title". I'm buddies with Reiff. It was good fun sitting in the stands during the state tourney his senior year giving him hell about how he'd have been lucky to sniff around the podium and lock a 4th title. 

Good lord that is hard. From Ohio

High School: Alan Fried, Luke Fickell, David Taylor, J Jaggers, Harry Lester, Dustin Schlatter, Logan Steiber

College: Logan Steiber, Kevin Randleman, David Taylor, Tommy Rowlands, Jim Jordan (beat John Smith in NCAAs)

International: Lee Kemp hands down,  Mark Coleman world silver, Bobby Douglas, 

MMA: No huge fan, BUT: Mark Coleman, Kevin Randleman, Rich Franklin

Kemp was pretty good in college too

Well..Chris actually had a lot of success outside of Idaho which is why he was recruited so heavily by teams such as Oky State. It is just my opinion anyway since not many of the 4 timers (and there have been others besides Chris and Jared) met head to head. What about including Hayden Tuma? He had more HS success outside Idaho than either Chris or Jared. 

Yep - 2nd at Junior Nationals in 88 - should have won it - he was beating Anderson from Iowa pretty handidly before being caught. Jared was a multiple Fargo AA and had at least one national title in Greco in Cadets. Tuma, I think is the best Greco HS wrestler to come out of Idaho, but I don't think he is the best HS wrestler. He had a lot of close matches in high school and a couple of out of state losses as well. Chris' closest match was 10-2 his senior year and teched in the second round in the state finals. Jared's closest match I believe was his freshman state championship 6-0. It would be hard to pick a winner between Owens and Lawrence in a HS match. If not for a knee injury, Owens would have also been a national champ at OSU.

The Empire State

High School - Jesse Jantzen, Ryan Needle, Troy Nickerson, JP O'Connor, Ian Paddock, Lou Ruggirello, the Meys bros, Nick Arujua, Quentin Murphy, Brian Realbuto, Nick Piccinini

College - Carl Adams, the Bannick Bros, Gene Mills, Nick Gallo, Jesse Jantzen, Kerry Mcoy, Brad Penrith, Mitch Clark, Troy Nickerson, Gregor Gillespie, JP O'Connor, Kyle Dake

International - Gene Mills, Jeff Blatnick, Kerry Mcoy

MMA - Jon Jones :)

Great list, and happy to see so many teammates/coaches, and even kids I've coached on here.

H.S. - Matt Herrington deserves a mention, as does Thomas Magnani (Would have been a 4x Champ w/o Nickerson around)

International - Shawn Sheldon, Andy Seras, Frank Famiano

Out of curiosity, how did Kole Clausen do in high school?  or was it Cole Klausen?  :-)

Kole was a stud in high school....strong and aggressive. I believe he won 2  state titles for Lakeland. I watched him destroy a 2x state champ from Idaho's large schools. He was 6th at Fargo his senior year. 

Montana:

High School - Mike Zadick, Bill Zadick, TJ Campbell, Jade Rauser, Trent Sprenkle, Tanner Sprenkle

College - Mike Zadick, Bill Zadick

International - Gary Albright, Scrapiron Gadaski

Gene Davis:  HS--undefeated 4 years, pinned everyone, Sr. yr.; College-- NCAA champ; International--Olympic bronze

Edited by carp