Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Great move in 74kg bronze match

when he hit that i made the comment to my wife, there are 6 year old's rejoicing all over the world right now...

Exactly. Coaches beg you in high school to not even think of using it because it is a junk move that is easy to defend. That dude is strong. Might've pinched the opponent's head off if he resisted.

when my boys first started doing greco, we had a coach tell them to grab a head lock... they had no idea how to even get in position... it was just not soemthing they had ever been taught...  

we actually practice it now, but, for the exact reason that dude used it above... last gasp no other option, hope and pray this works...

I was in the arena for this one and I just remember shock and celebration from those who did not care who won and devastation from the french. It reminded me of Alex Cisneros getting hit with a headlock and denied his 4th CA Championship or Tom Clum getting hit with this his last match of high school and being denied an undefeated career.

when my boys first started doing greco, we had a coach tell them to grab a head lock... they had no idea how to even get in position... it was just not soemthing they had ever been taught...  

we actually practice it now, but, for the exact reason that dude used it above... last gasp no other option, hope and pray this works...

Imagine if you only drilled single legs a few times a year how bad you would need to be in desperation to hit and and how low of percentage it would be.

Headlocks work just as good as any other move.  The problem is the American mindset that its a junk move, not to be honed into a legitimate skill like any other technique.  "Eh, just use it if you are down by 8 and pray it works."

to be fair you would have to compare the amount attempted vs the amount completed...

but, i doubt you would want to speak to those stats... or compile them... or whatever the point is to your love affair with a ridiculously low percentage move...

whatevs...

HEAD HUNTERS UNITE!!!!

Part of the reason headlocks are low percentage is that people throw them mainly in desperation situations. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy a lot of the time. Also, how many wrestlers actively practice them regularly? I'm not saying headlocks are high percentage or should be core go-to moves, but they can be deadly if used right and practiced well.