Sign in to follow this  
Perry

2016 True Freshmen

Does anyone think we may see a stud freshman skip their red shirt to start this season? Last year Moisey surprised with a 2nd place finish (granted his NCAA run was shocking) and Kyle Snyder was a known force from the get go. Can anyone repeat that this season? I imagine JoJo Smith will RS with the depth at OK State (would clear out in time next season with Dieringer graduating). Perhaps Fredy Stroker for the Gophers? I can't think of anyone else who may be on this list atm. thoughts?

Stroker could wrestle out the gate maybe even Larry Early depending on who fills in Ness's shoes I would imagine they both start off as redshirts though Stroker more so then Early because I'd imagine Minnesota will give Jake Short another chance and see how Stroker competes before making that decision on who the guy will be

Guest Kingsland

Tanner Hall is not suppose to red shirt for the Sun Devils at HWT. The Valencia brothers have said they will RS but the Sun Devils have a big hole at 174.

Their heavyweight last year, Chance Eskam, got granted an extra year of eligibility recently which might change Hall's plans to not red shirt.

Buckeyes have 3 true frosh who could start--Ke-Shawn Hayes (141), Myles Martin (174) and Kollin Moore (197).  Moore is the most likely as they have no one else.  Even Jose Rodriguez is one injury away from seeing time at 125 or 133.  

Could any of these four be a force right away?  Not convinced but one never knows.  

Buckeyes have 3 true frosh who could start--Ke-Shawn Hayes (141), Myles Martin (174) and Kollin Moore (197). Moore is the most likely as they have no one else. Even Jose Rodriguez is one injury away from seeing time at 125 or 133.

Could any of these four be a force right away? Not convinced but one never knows.

What weight is Mark Martin going?

Out of all the names previously mentioned, McKenna is the one that is most likely college ready due to his vast folkstyle accomplishments, grey shirt year, international experience and age.  He's going to have a very successful collegiate career.

Edited by meluvwrestling

What are the rules with McKenna taking a RS right after a GS? Is that allowed? Seems like deferring enrollment for a semester should count as your RS to me, but I am not up to speed on those rules at all.

Officially there is no such thing as a greyshirt. Redshirting can only take place after matriculating and the year off is irrelevant. You start school when you start school. The only thing that might have happened in this regard is that if he had taken two years after HS that can affect your ability to rs. You can lose one of your five years after taking two gsss and one of your four if you compete in the second off year.