Sign in to follow this  
gg121and2

The Historian

In the past few weeks I've seen a couple of posts in threads where the poster has hoped for a definitve answer on a point of wrestling history and wondered about the whereabouts of The Historian. Since he's been posting about it on facebook I don't think he's trying to keep it a secret. He's been battling cancer for a while, recently had surgery and is hoping to be home soon. All I know is what he posts on facebook. It sure wouldn't hurt his recovery if we all gave him a shout out.

OH .... MAN !!! icon_cry.gif I did not know. Hoping for a solid recovery. Get well !!!

I for one ... LOVE his work. His books, data, and knowledge is a national treasure for us current and former wrestlers.

I've mentioned this before: My father was Bill Koll's roommate in college after the war. He's pushing 90yo's ... and after giving him the original book, he has looked at it, read it, re-read it, and relives some of the memories of those younger years at Iowa Teacher's College, and the friendships of those boys who went to war, and came back to get college degrees and form our country, into a better place to grow up and live.

If you have not bought the book, I strongly suggest it, and his updates as well. It is a boat load of data, and pic's and stories that make for some really good reading.

I wish a speedy recovery !!

Thank you for your support.

I was diagnosed with esphogeal cancer last November. I went through chemo and radiation last winter which caused me to miss the NCAA tournament.

Ten days ago I had major surgery which included the removal of my lower esophagus and a lot of other work. I am still in the hospital and have been dealing with an infection. As I noted, it is very serious surgery, and the minimum stay is seven days. It has been very grueling physically. I woke up with nine different tubes in me. It has been an interesting experience and I have been very impressed with the quality of the medical care.

Still by and large my recovery is going well and things should be back to normal by August 1st, well before the start of the wrestling season. I plan to be around for many more seasons and have some projects I want to do.

I've been blessed with having two guys mentor me in the matter of history, Don Sayenga and The Boomer, Jairus K Hammond, who happen to be the sport's leaders in remembering things - and researching them, if not. Unlike the late Bob Dellinger (who also became a friend), the duo is still with us in body as well as spirit, to help keep us mentees on the straight and narrow. Long live The Historians !

Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery Brother Jay the Historian! Your knowlege and clarity on the history of our sport, especially as exemplified by "The History of Collegiate Wrestling", as well as your always thoughtful postings on the forum here are an absolute treasure! No mater how many near-sighted AD's look to balance their budgets by red-lining wrestling programs, a good healthy reading or re-reading the H.O.C.W. always leaves me feeling optimistic about our sport and the indrividuals who represent the best of it. Thank you Brother Historian, for your great mind, great memory and the great work that you have contributed to us all. We can't wait for pt. II, so listen to your Medical Team, take all of the rest you require, start feeling good, and come back to us. You are in our prayers and We need you Brother.