Sign in to follow this  
Zebra

What the heck is...........

Omega. I once played pool with a former Steelers free safety Donnie Shell who had that kind of "brand iron" scar. I don't know this for certain but "I think" a lot of black fraternities brand their frat logo on their arms as a token of loyalty and honor. Other fraternities may do it, but I think it's more popular with black fraternities.

Surprised you haven't seen more of it, it is fairly popular. At least it is in these parts.

Although mainstream will tell you it's a fraternity thing, I have seen the same thing for years from gangs.

Mango's was a little more raised than I have noticed usually though.

I'm going on record here and now saying that is a stupid practice. No organization you will ever be associated with is worth scaring your body.

thats funny, cause cauliflower ear is something every wrestler is proud to have.

I'm going on record here and now saying that is a stupid practice. No organization you will ever be associated with is worth scaring your body.

thats funny, cause cauliflower ear is something every wrestler is proud to have.

It's painful and very easily avoidable. There is no excuse for allowing that to happen and parents should inform and educate their kids in its prevention. If we did that on the youth level cauliflower ear would almost completely vanish.

That having been said there is a difference between the incidental or accidental ramifications from sports and the intentional disfigurement of the human body. I know that tattoos are becoming more common and I'm not a fan of that either.

Your feelings are understandable but they are personal ones of course.

There are plenty of wrestlers with wrestling specific tats and lots of soldiers and sailors with military tats also.

I'm going on record here and now saying that is a stupid practice. There are plenty of wrestlers with wrestling specific tats and lots of soldiers and sailors with military tats also.

One thing is still common in the military - from not only my time in the mid-late 80's but probably since there's been an American military.

Lots of 18 and 19 year old Privates/PFC's/e-1's and 2's do a couple of things as soon as they get out of Boot Camp/basic training: They go home on leave and get a quick tatoo & married.

The tats usually last them for life. The marriages? Maybe through the 1st deployment.

At least it is in these parts.

Although mainstream will tell you it's a fraternity thing, I have seen the same thing for years from gangs.

Mean streets of Cedar Rapids? :roll:

Actually yeah I have seen it here in CR quite a bit, as well as several reality shows about gangs and/or prison. :roll:

I just dont understand why in today's society tats and branding are frowned upon. I'm a 51 yr old man who has no tats.... but come on folks, tats and branding have been around for centuries and centuries. Both have been used to signify negative (branding of slaves) to the positive (rights of passages) and (levels of a warriors accomplishments).

yep Im biased because my son wanted to be a pararescue in the air-force but since he had a tat that was visible with a short sleeve shirt on, he was denied entry into the AF. I loved the Af (spent 8 years) but sometimes they get it wrong. (his tat was to signify 6 years of hard work in wrestling to go from a JV wrestler to finally making the High School state finals his senior year). It has a deep meaning to him personally.

A person shouldnt be judged by skin color nor colors on his skin. Judge the man by what he stands for and if you want to know a little bit about the person, then ask him the story behind his tat. nine times out of ten he'll tell you.

sorry for the rant... but i feel better now - happy new year

I just dont understand why in today's society tats and branding are frowned upon. I'm a 51 yr old man who has no tats.... but come on folks, tats and branding have been around for centuries and centuries. Both have been used to signify negative (branding of slaves) to the positive (rights of passages) and (levels of a warriors accomplishments).

yep Im biased because my son wanted to be a pararescue in the air-force but since he had a tat that was visible with a short sleeve shirt on, he was denied entry into the AF. I loved the Af (spent 8 years) but sometimes they get it wrong. (his tat was to signify 6 years of hard work in wrestling to go from a JV wrestler to finally making the High School state finals his senior year). It has a deep meaning to him personally.

A person shouldnt be judged by skin color nor colors on his skin. Judge the man by what he stands for and if you want to know a little bit about the person, then ask him the story behind his tat. nine times out of ten he'll tell you.

sorry for the rant... but i feel better now - happy new year

I agree with you to a degree but am not a fan of high school and even college kids getting tats and one of the biggest reasons is that their values change. Making varsity may have once been a big deal to him but will it always be something that is significant? I have watches as people have used tats to show their accomplishments and have felt compelled to continue to add to them since they realized the original accomplishment wasn't really significant so they want to show off the new ones. I have also watched a LOT of people who just regret their tat and realize that it was a juvenile decision.

I have known some great people with a lot of tats and some morally corrupt people that would never consider tats.

In my opinion we need a culture that looks more long term--much like the Japanese--when making decisions. I am in no way a fan of tattoos and think most people, in the long term, do not appreciate them in the way they think they will.

I had the good fortune of a tattooed old Marine for an uncle. He always mentioned when we asked, especially when he made the hula dancer dance for us, that he wished he never got them, especially those that were visable and fading. Most folks I know now , in my seventies who have tats claim the same and many have gone as far as to have them removed. Although I am ambivalent on what you do to your bod, I find it odd folks, of color would wish to brand themselves and the evidence in my life points to being tatooed as a poor choice that many regret.

I agree with you to a degree but am not a fan of high school and even college kids getting tats and one of the biggest reasons is that their values change. Making varsity may have once been a big deal to him but will it always be something that is significant? I have watches as people have used tats to show their accomplishments and have felt compelled to continue to add to them since they realized the original accomplishment wasn't really significant so they want to show off the new ones. I have also watched a LOT of people who just regret their tat and realize that it was a juvenile decision.

I have known some great people with a lot of tats and some morally corrupt people that would never consider tats.

In my opinion we need a culture that looks more long term--much like the Japanese--when making decisions. I am in no way a fan of tattoos and think most people, in the long term, do not appreciate them in the way they think they will.

It wasnt the fact that he made varsity, it was the battle and overcoming what he and most others thought was not probable. In his life, it was/is a great accomplishment and does mean a lot to him.... Will it mean the same as he goes on in life, probably not but it is the cornerstone of the foundation that he will build upon for the rest of his life. Im ok with the tatoo but what matters is what it means to him. - I too agree that one should not judge a person on his physical appearance but our society still does. its a shame.