Sign in to follow this  
Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

What do you think about Kyle Snyder join to MMA?

i think there is enough money right now in the US for truely elite wrestlers to make a long term commitment to international wrestling for our guys... 

MMA should be reserved for those that just love it or for those who realistically are not ever going to make a world team but still crave competition.

I doubt we'll ever see him in MMA. As long as he's on top, which seems likely to continue given his success and what all his peers describe as a glowing positive attitude, there's no reason to go into a fight to get punched and kicked. As LJB points out, there are pretty good financial incentives for our elites, and when he does start to tire out, that charisma is perfect for elite coaching.

25K for gold at worlds... 250k for gold at olympics... dont recall off hand what the other medals were, but, there was a pretty steep drop off for silver and bronze...

but, there would be quite a bit of opportunity for endorsements and whatnot for success at the international level as well... 

http://donate.usawrestling.org/living-the-dream-medal-fund

For the World Championships, the Fund offers $50,000 for a gold medal,$25,000 for a silver, and $15,000 for a bronze.

For the Rio 2016 Games, the Fund offers $250,000 for a gold medal, $50,000 for a silver, and $25,000 for a bronze.

It's possible that Snyder has no intention of ever trying MMA, and it's possible that he thinks it might be a possibility down the line. At this point none of us know. 

But what I do know is it's too early to tell if MMA is even something that could make any sort of sense for him. I'm sure he's going to wrestle through the 2020 cycle, and 2024 is not a bad bet, either. In 2024 he would only be 28, which is still young enough to transition to MMA. Cormier was 29 or 30 when he transitioned. Makhov is already 27 and will transition next year. 

Winning a world title at 19 suggests Snyder will be elite for a long time. With that comes enough money to live on, and down the road coaching opportunities. I don't think Snyder will ever need to switch to MMA in order to extend his athletic career. It's more a question of what he wants to do. 

On a related note, I've recently become less enthusiastic about MMA. CTE (brain damage due to head trauma) can only be diagnosed after you die, and it's a recently-created diagnosis, so we still don't know a lot about it. But a recent study found that 87 out of 91 former NFL players studied had CTE. That's a rate of 96%. Not good.

Based on that study it's a good bet that MMA fighters will also suffer from a high rate of CTE. Personally, I wouldn't want my child playing football or fighting. Brain damage is nothing to play with. I'll be looking into tennis.

Edited by Katie

Twenty five thousand for silver and fifteen thousand for bronze is a joke. I wonder what governing body executives bring in. A medal winner should make executive pay at the very least.

Why? If you want competent executives, you must pay them market rate. Otherwise, the entire organization will crumble. 

There is no comparable market for medal winners. I think it's great that there's something there for medal winners, but I don't see the logic in pegging medal-winners' bonuses to the market for competent executives. 

What does the NCAA have to say about Kyle winning $50,000? Does he have to defer the money or lose his eligibility?

That's been covered in the other Snyder thread. There is a caveat in the NCAA rules with how it relates to the national team stuff. Since it's not technically considered "event prize money" he can defer receiving it until after his his college career is over and still remain NCAA eligible.

I think he should defect and wrestle for a country that will pay him. Turkey loves buying athletes, i'm sure they'd be happy to have him since their other imported 97kg is banned for doping. 

yes, Turkey bought Opan Sat, Zalimkhan Kartoev (Selim YaÅŸar) Shamil Akhmedov (Åžamil ErdoÄŸan) and etc...

I'd love to see more wrestlers open wrestling schools in the same style that BJJ guys do. A decently successful school would provide a solid, more reliable income than MMA and not require extreme weight cuts or getting punched in the face. Also, you are still in wrestling and working on wrestling rather than submissions and striking.

I like the idea of wrestling schools. That said, in a lot of places kids can already wrestle for school. I'd guess the adult market for wrestling is smaller than bjj because it's more high impact and competition focused.

The general trend in USA wrestling recently seems to be that the best of the best keep wrestling, while the also very good go into mma. Snyder has stated he really loves wrestling, so hopefully he stays with it for a while. He could rack up a ton of hardware .