2 Pan Am events:
(No one new)

NCAA champs at 157, 165, and 174:
Martinez
Dieringer
Nickal

Final Trials Qualifier:
Sponseller

Potential Bracket with Seeds for the challenge tournament, based on the criteria outlined in the selection procedures document (winner to face Burroughs in best of 3):

1. Howe
bye
Martinez
8. Massa
5. Sponseller

Nickal
Godley
4. Marable
3. Vallimont
bye

LeValley
6. Dieringer
7. A. Hall
Valencia
bye
2. C. Perry

As I've said in other threads, this field would be much more interesting if there were a way to get more than one guy qualified after the college season...I. Miller, the two Jordans, etc., could be fighting it out with Sanderson, Dombrovskiy, M. Hall, Valencia, Sponseller and others for that one post-season available spot.

Edited by maligned

Taylor is confirmed 86. He feels confident he can win it. I think he is 6ft and can pull the huge jump off. Also from what everyone is saying he beats Herbert. Dake stayed down I guess because he is only 5 8 or 5 9-same height as Burroughs. Would the result be the same with Taylor vs Dake at 189?

armspin...Everybody says he is...I'm just going by the scuttlebutt.

Abdullah...I know you're just messing with us, but Howe's time is past, unfortunately.  His best years were 2010-12, before injuries took away what little natural athleticism he had.  He couldn't beat Burroughs then, even with a decent attacking arsenal, so I don't see how he could do it now when JB is at his best ever.  Eid Mubarak

Taylor is confirmed 86. He feels confident he can win it. I think he is 6ft and can pull the huge jump off. Also from what everyone is saying he beats Herbert. Dake stayed down I guess because he is only 5 8 or 5 9-same height as Burroughs. Would the result be the same with Taylor vs Dake at 189?

I don't see any way a 5'8" Dake or Howe could transition to 86.  I wrote on another thread...that height at that weight class among the elite is reserved for truly explosive athletes.  That's not Dake or Howe.  Taylor, on the other hand, could fit the mold of a Bryce Hasseman, who was our number 2 for a few years.  He was a sucked down wiry-strong 165 with a body similar to Taylor for most of college before bulking up afterwards and becoming one of the most powerful 86's in the world.  I'm not saying Taylor can replicate the bulking up to that degree, but he's got the frame for the added weight.  Dake doesn't seem to meet the unwritten height minimum to compete athletically there.

I have no inside info on this, but I think it's great if Taylor goes up to 86. Looks like his frame can fill out to that weight class, and I'm guessing he could eat lots of healthy, nutritious calories right up to the trials.

Again, I have no idea of DT's scratch weight, etc. on this, but if he can fill out to 86kg, and just focus on wrestling without spending any time, effort, and misery losing weight, look out.  

So if he can and does bump up to 86, and I know it's still somewhat early, I have the Magicman as the favorite to win the Trials.

Ramos said in an interview the weigh ins were for show, not reflective of actual weights.

Taylor and Burroughs weighed in both at 80 kg for Beat The Streets.

Snyder was about 100 kg. I font really remember the others but Herbert was pretty light while Ramos and Metcalf were way over.

Meaning what exactly? Didn't they actually step on a scale?

I know weights fluctuate but it's still interesting to get an idea. I'd heard similar weights for JB and Snyder from others also.

Btw I'm assuming Marable will find his way into the 74 kg bracket. This years debacle aside, he's a very good wrestler.

Unless something has changed, I believe the Valencias have stated that they are 100% RS this year. But man, I'd love to see Anthony in that 174 bracket. 

I've heard they are red shirting s well.  You make it sound as if by red shirting they wont be competing t the trials.  Am I understanding that correctly? 

Another thing, Dake is extremely explosive, 

I really like Taylor to 86 KG.   I see him winning that weight class but i wouldn't expect a whole lot of success at the Olympics, certainly not against Sadulaev.   

Dake's best bet is to start working on a way to beat Burroughs, he's head and shoulders above everyone else at 74 kg

Meaning what exactly? Didn't they actually step on a scale?

I know weights fluctuate but it's still interesting to get an idea. I'd heard similar weights for JB and Snyder from others also.

Btw I'm assuming Marable will find his way into the 74 kg bracket. This years debacle aside, he's a very good wrestler.

I commented a couple posts before your post that I had made a couple changes.  One was to add Marable.  I had forgotten him because he wasn't on the 70 or 74 brackets at the WTT.  I was looking at US Open results and remembered him of course.

I've heard they are red shirting s well.  You make it sound as if by red shirting they wont be competing t the trials.  Am I understanding that correctly? 

Another thing, Dake is extremely explosive, 

I really like Taylor to 86 KG.   I see him winning that weight class but i wouldn't expect a whole lot of success at the Olympics, certainly not against Sadulaev.   

Dake's best bet is to start working on a way to beat Burroughs, he's head and shoulders above everyone else at 74 kg

rlw said, "man Id love to see him in that 174 bracket."  He's talking about college...he should be at the trials, I would expect.

About Dake's explosiveness: you have to be a physical monster to be explosive at 5'8" and 189 pounds, I'm sorry.  I just don't see his body type being that type of monster if he were at 86kg.  Think about a short guy like Yoel Romero (Cuban world champ, Sanderson nemesis, current top 5 in UFC at 185).  It's impossible to imagine any bulk being added to the 187-pound frame he had at worlds and olympics...and that dude is 5'10"!  If you're 5'8" or 5'9" and 189 competing against elite athletes, you're an enormous physical specimen of a type that Dake simply would not be.

rlw said, "man Id love to see him in that 174 bracket."  He's talking about college...he should be at the trials, I would expect.

About Dake's explosiveness: you have to be a physical monster to be explosive at 5'8" and 189 pounds, I'm sorry.  I just don't see his body type being that type of monster if he were at 86kg.  Think about a short guy like Yoel Romero (Cuban world champ, Sanderson nemesis, current top 5 in UFC at 185).  It's impossible to imagine any bulk being added to the 187-pound frame he had at worlds and olympics...and that dude is 5'10"!  If you're 5'8" or 5'9" and 189 competing against elite athletes, you're an enormous physical specimen of a type that Dake simply would not be.

My mistake.  I read 174 and thought 74 kg.   

Yeah I wouldn't expect to see either Valencia in the college mix, next season. 

Thanks for clarifying.   

Dake is a fantastic wrestler. It's too bad we can't get both JB and Dake in the Olympic lineup.

If this Snyder-Sadulaev supermatch ever happens, I'd like to see Dake thrown in there with Geduev, too. I'd also like to see Deiringer vs. Tsargush. And I'd like to see iMart against Gazimagomedov.

To review, this is what I'd like to see:

Snyder - Sadulaev

Dake - Geduev

Deiringer - Tsargush

iMart - Gazimagomedov