Sign in to follow this  
maligned

Projecting the Olympic Trials field: 74kg

Well it would be interesting to see Dieringer in the mix. But this is an extremely deep and talented field. I for one hope Taylor is in the gym driving Iron right now, putting on some heft to be able to compete at 86 Kg. Personally I think USA Wrestling needs him at 86 Kg. More than they need him at 74. Anyway when it's all said and done I think we all know the outcome. Dake wins the mini tournament and once again falls to Burroughs. I would like to see Dake challenge Green at 70 Kg. In 2017.

Good match-ups Katie, but now we know Taylor is moving up to 86, and I really want to see Taylor vs Sadulaev at the 2016 Olympics.

Yes, Sadulaev would be the heavy favorite, and logic can point to DT's losses to Tsargush, JB and KD, and say that no way Taylor can hang with Sadulaev, especially if Sadulaev gets a tight gut going.

Again, it's still months away, and DT has to win the Trials first, but I think Taylor's style can cause some fits for Sadulaev. Yes, he and JB are probably the 2 best p4p in the world, but Sadulaev is human, and we see crazy results in sports all the time.

(I know, this post is gonna get hammered now.)

"it's still months away, and DT has to win the Trials first, but I think Taylor's style can cause some fits for Sadulaev."

Ah, I think most American's would be happy if Taylor scores a single point and gains a classification point for the US in the team race. 

Kyle Snyder isn't beating Sadulaev, let alone #3 at 74 kg. 

Still early, but since Andrew Howe won 74 yesterday, went 10-0 in Iran over the past 2 years, took silver at last year's Yarygin, he's probably the favorite to win the challenge tournament at OTT's. 

Safe to say.  I don't think he's lost to an American not named Dake, Taylor, or Burroughs since 2010.  More than that, he's had a few close wins in terms of low scores (2-0  or 3-1 types of matches), but I'm not sure he's really come dangerously close to losing to anyone else in all that time.  

I'm not sure Dieringer has been any less dominant than Dake or Taylor in college...it will be interesting to see how he looks if he goes all-in for freestyle after the college season.  The problem is that he'll have a very, very short turnaround time to get his freestyle legs before trying to take out a vet like Howe.

Congrats again to Jordan Burroughs for winning gold at the Yasar Dogu. He looked great.

Just heard the Champ's interview with Ben and Tommy. Totally enjoyed JB's thoughts and opinions tonight. Fascinating to hear the Champ say that he feels so much more pressure now, than in 2011 (paraphrasing). But as Boomer Esiason frequently says on his morning radio show, "pressure is a privilege".

So, enjoy the ride Champ. You're the best! 

Cletus, my bad. I meant to respond to your post earlier, but anyway, it is nice that 74 and 97 are qualified already. On top of that, they both medaled (gold, no less) and get to sit in the Trials finals.

Wondering if the other three 2015 World members are automatically penciled in the lineup to compete at the qualifier. Tervel's competing at HWT, right?