Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Have the coaches ever been asked/polled?

The annual post-Worlds/Olympics, pre-American Folk season debate continues on regarding what is best for wrestling both domestically and internationally. Has the NWCA or USAW ever asked or polled collegiate coaches on what they believe is best for wrestling on a more grand scale regarding everything from style to rule changes to how to better market the sport? If so, what were the results? If not, why not?

Would USAW ever think of doing something like this for the fanbase? Basically, offer up an anonymous multiple choice questionnaire to gauge the interest of fans, what drives them within the sport, what long-term goals they have, etc. Do they care to even know the results?

I don't think college Presidents (which run the NCAA) care about USAWrestling's interest. They are much more concerned about their Universities and as such accommodating high school athlete's interest.

As such, if you want college to change, you would have to change high school wrestling but since it is probably greater than 10-1 with the number of high school coaches that have experience wrestling folkstyle compared to freestyle, I doubt there would ever be an interest in changing to freestyle.

I don't think college Presidents (which run the NCAA) care about USAWrestling's interest. They are much more concerned about their Universities and as such accommodating high school athlete's interest.

As such, if you want college to change, you would have to change high school wrestling but since it is probably greater than 10-1 with the number of high school coaches that have experience wrestling folkstyle compared to freestyle, I doubt there would ever be an interest in changing to freestyle.

Pinnum, that brings up an excellent point that I often argue with people. The consensus with most US wrestling fans is "If we wrestled Freestyle we'd be the best in the world!"

While that might be true, due to the lack of capable freestyle coaches, it would take at least a few generations for that the become true, in my opinion. 

this isn't 1978... and our coaches are not dumb... there is so much video of good technique that any collegiate coach could watch it and break it down well enough to teach it at any level... they just don't have to do it...

plus, we have expatriate coaches all over this country... i don't think the coaching is a real issue...

Interesting points, fellas.

As to the university and college presidents, my guess is that they would simply defer to the AD who would defer to the wrestling coach on the matter, seeing that he is the expert on the matter. How many university and college presidents, percentage-wise, are engaged with their wrestling programs? They have bigger fish to fry, if you will, than dealing with the the styles/rules that govern a non-revenue sport.

Do you really think the percentage of coaches with no background in international styles is that great? I don't know, hence my question. It seems to me that the sport in this nation is seeing an influx of young coaches with a more "well rounded" wrestling resume. Don't forget, a lot of these young guys are among the first generation that began specializing in sports within the last decade or so. They understand the benefits of competing in various styles and what it means to their teams.

As far as taking "at least a few generations", I don't believe I agree with that. What do you determine a "capable freestyle coach" to be? Does he have had to accomplish a certain level as a competitor? Will he have had to coached a certain number of All-Americans at Fargo? Given the electronic age we live in and the resources available to coaches across the country, the learning curve might not be as big as some think.

Freestyle sycophants would change immediately but the vast majority of wrestling families do not want this change. The freestyle sycophants are a very vocal minority on this and every other message board. 

Edited by Zebra

I was applying anthropomorphism to freestyle then defining those who wish to eliminate and replace American Folkstyle with international freestyle. This makes freestyle the "important person" to whom the sycophants are sucking up.  

sunrise was the intention... i was trying to be clever...

of course it is not personal... anyone who would allow themselves to get riled up by the internet probably needs to back away from the keyboard...

this is nothing more than a distraction from these awful, awful spreadsheets i have on my monitors right now...

Mine are international regulatory standards. The one I am specifically avoiding defines the safety and EMC requirements for electronic equipment and sub-assemblies used in maritime applications. 

that sounds horrible...

i am building pods databases... at the rate i am accomplishing it right now, i will get to be doing it all weekend...

Zebra, no one is sucking up to UWW, Bender or Burnett. I've said before on this board that I prefer Freestyle, Greco and American Folk in that order. Some of us simply don't agree with you that American Folk is best style for the long-term prospects of wrestling in the US of A. We're interested in the perspectives of the people who have the most influence within the sport: the college coaches.

Bill Sailors, why don't you and the Flo team go around asking coaches and athletes at the top which they would prefer and why? It's  a worthwhile topic and one that has been ignored for quite some time. Heck, you already have Cary Kolat's answer. In the teaser he said he wasn't thrilled about winning NCAAs because his eyes were set on being the best in the World. Didn't Tom Brands go off the deep end a few years ago in a press conference when he said, in so many words, that the goal of the Hawkeyes is not to only be the best in college or America or the world, but in the universe?