Felix

Byers

2 Pan Am events:
(No one new)

NCAA champ at 197:
Cox

Final Trials Qualifier:
N. Burak

Potential Bracket with Seeds for the challenge tournament, based on the criteria outlined in the selection procedures document (winner to face Snyder in best of 3):

1. Varner
bye

Byers
8. M. Burak
5. Cox
Francois
bye
4. Gadson
3. Michalak
bye
N. Burak
6. Schiller
7. Kilgore
Felix
bye
2. Bergman

Previously posted:

Against this list of guys (minus Gadson/N.Burak), the rest of the field at the US Open was 0-15 with only three near-tech results not being a tech or pin. And there were only a few such "big" results when the above group wrestled each other at WTTs/US Open.  There was a very clear separation between these guys and the rest.  We'll see if Gadson, N. Burak, or any other college stars from last year and this year can break through and join them or push Varner/Snyder.

New thoughts:

It's clear Schiller and Gadson are in the mix now.  I'm still not sure anyone but Bergman can upset Varner, and I'm not sure anyone will hang with Snyder in the 2 of 3.

Edited by maligned

After watching Snyder do what he did I have a lot more respect for Varner who wrestled him close three times. I was killing him after the 14 worlds and after. I really don't think he lost a step-ok maybe a little bit from 11 and 12. I favor Snyder but am not going to rule out the Olympic champ here in probably his last event. Gadsen and Cox make this weight maybe the one to watch along with 86k Bergman?. Varner wrestling the russians and Iran better. Old man Bergman will wrestle Varner close again. Those two are dang equal.  I would like to see Cael enter the weight-he is a former O champ so he is qualified for the event right? Varner still says Cael and him split to this day. Would do wonders for PSU-then Cael can hire Varner and the two can make PSU a 1980s. But at 35 Cael may have finally become old.  

These top 5 guys are freakin beasts-all of them. would not be surprised if any of them won it.I just have no idea how Gadsen will do.  

Snyder

Varner

Bergman

Cox

Gadsen

After watching Snyder do what he did I have a lot more respect for Varner who wrestled him close three times. I was killing him after the 14 worlds and after. I really don't think he lost a step-ok maybe a little bit from 11 and 12. I favor Snyder but am not going to rule out the Olympic champ here in probably his last event. Gadsen and Cox make this weight maybe the one to watch along with 86k Bergman?. Varner wrestling the russians and Iran better. Old man Bergman will wrestle Varner close again. Those two are dang equal.  I would like to see Cael enter the weight-he is a former O champ so he is qualified for the event right? Varner still says Cael and him split to this day. Would do wonders for PSU-then Cael can hire Varner and the two can make PSU a 1980s. But at 35 Cael may have finally become old.  

These top 5 guys are freakin beasts-all of them. would not be surprised if any of them won it.I just have no idea how Gadsen will do.  

Snyder

Varner

Bergman

Cox

Gadsen

Cael will be 37 next summer.

JD just turned 31.

Varner will be 30 in March.

It's not unheard of to have success at these ages - Karelin turned 34 during the Sydney Olympics.

It would be fun to see Cael give it a go, but I have no reason to believe he would, or that he would go at 97. He cut back down to 84 in 2011, and his website makes no mention of that run. I'm not sure how that would help PSU either, unless he made the team and won another medal. It seems like he'd have more to lose if, for example, he ended up losing to any current NCAA wrestler like Snyder or Cox.

I'm certainly enjoying the generational battle happening at this weight!

I would be very surprised if Snyder lost.

Me too...for me, the only drama would be if Cox would be taking an Olympic redshirt and refining his immense talents.  I think Varner's slightly on the back side of his career now and it's hard to imagine him or first-timer Gadson (if he's there) or Cox after a season of folkstyle somehow taking 2 of 3 from Snyder.

Varner out places Snyder today, and really looked good.  What's the loss do for Snyder's World Gold, is that thing for real, or was that a fluke?   The Russians had a really had a tough time with the jet lag.   Could it be Snyder's not the best at the weight class?  Today it didn't look like he's the best in the USA.

Varner out places Snyder today, and really looked good.  What's the loss do for Snyder's World Gold, is that thing for real, or was that a fluke?   The Russians had a really had a tough time with the jet lag.   Could it be Snyder's not the best at the weight class?  Today it didn't look like he's the best in the USA.

Not sure if this is true.  They didn't wrestle the same path, other than Botukaev, who rolled through everyone but Snyder.  I'm not sure we learned anything new other than that Botukaev is incredible and Snyder isn't invincible (which we should have known already if we've been watching objectively).  Varner looks fantastic against lesser guys.  Snyder is slower paced and methodical.  For me, nothing's changed.  The results showed what we already thought: Snyder is the favorite, but there's not much separating them.  

Thought both Synder and Varner had a good showing at the Yarygin. Unfortunately, they both ran into a powerhouse in Boltukaev and both lost close matches to him. IMO, these 2 matches exemplify why the Russians are consistently better than the Americans.

1. No score, early in 1st period, Synder gets to a nice low single on the mat, and here it comes: Boltukaev wraps up around Kyle's waist and turns him for 2 points, and Kyle never catches up. (Honest question - doesn't a wrestler feel that coming, especially against the Russians, who do that all the time? Can't we counter that, or post, or continue the single on a different angle? This may be easy to say behind a computer screen, but definitely saw that coming, and it's not like it happened lightening fast either. Maybe Boltukaev is just that powerful. Frustrating to see Russians do this to Americans year after year.)

2. Varner goes up 2-0 with a nice takedown (looked like a shrug to a leg attack -beautiful!) in the finals against Boltukaev, then sure enough here it comes: Boltukaev takes down Varner, and immediately guts him for 2 more points. Automatic. Goes up 4-2 and never looks back. The Russians are so much better at transitioning to a gut for extra points as they secure their takedowns. Americans seem to be content with the 2 point takedown, then go back to the feet.

As far as this OP, I think Synder has a huge advantage sitting in the Trials finals, and I think he's the best American at 97. His World championship was not a fluke, and his Jr. World championship was not a fluke. He was right there with Boltukaev yesterday.

Lot's of insightful posts, with many points I agree with. I think it was good for Kyle to go there and wrestle that immovable object. It was clear to me that he was aware of Kyle's heel pick and low shot. It was also clear that he just leaned on Kyle and reached down and spent most of the match trying to control Kyle's free wrist trying to prevent Kyle from attacking. So for Kyle, I think he has to use this as a learning experience. Also I think Kyle needs to develop another set of attacks like a slide by or shrug, and maybe something off a snap down. Also I'll echo what others have said which is that he has to improve his ability to turn people at this level. But come April, I think Kyle is our best bet for success. Varner is great, but I have said this many times and I'll say it again, which is that I think his style is better suited under the old rules. I think we'll see a very good tournament in April, however, I do believe Kyle will succeed as our representative.