Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Are we looking past....

Central Michigan's Ben Bennett as a possibility to unearth Ed Ruth's weakness and possibly score a victory over him. I haven't kept up on the boards as much as I usually do so sorry if this has already been discussed. I've mainly only seen Hamlin's name on the plausible threat list, but I think Bennett's might deserve to be up there too.

It seems for the past three years he's never really been talked about too much, yet at the end of the year there he is standing on the podium each time. I don't think he's reached his full potential yet either.

I'm anxious to see his matchup with Ruth.

Ruth has made him look silly in their one previous meeting. Believe me, I would love to see Bennett at the top of the podium but I don't know if he is the one to unseat Ruth. I could see Bennett being his finals opponent though. Of course crazy things happen in March so who knows.

I'm from Michigan and I'm a CMU fan.

Bennett has always been a hammer on top and has good defense, but historically got beat by wrestlers who are really good on their feet (Ruth, Wright, that guy from Maryland who Ruth always beat up on).

His win over Hamlin, who is also really good on his feet, was surprising to me and is definitely a step in the right direction for him......winning on a riding time point and escape probably isn't going to happen against Ruth.

Bennett has always been a hammer on top and has good defense, but historically got beat by wrestlers who are really good on their feet (Ruth, Wright, that guy from Maryland who Ruth always beat up on).

His win over Hamlin, who is also really good on his feet, was surprising to me and is definitely a step in the right direction for him......winning on a riding time point and escape probably isn't going to happen against Ruth.

You can't mean Mike Letts (Univ. of MD)...he is one of the few to beat Ruth in college. Maybe you mean Mack Lewnes?

I was also surprised that he beat Hamlin last night, maybe familiarity plays a part. I also find it difficult to imagine him beating Ruth but I would love to see the match-up.

Letts did beat Ruth, and is one of those matches where Ruth just wasn't in it mentally. Since his freshman year he doesn't seem to slip into those modes as often now. I think Letts also lost to Lofthouse which makes the loss even tougher to swallow.