wrestlingphish

Attendance record broken again

While that is great to hear, I hope to see a lot more tickets sold. This is similar to what Kinnick Stadium would be like with those numbers.

acc_championship_game_crowd_view_2007_em

In order to have a quality event, and make the change worth while, they need to see the event expand beyond the wrestling community. Michigan was successful with their ice hockey event outdoors. The Ice Hockey team at Michigan typically draws about 5k fans but for 'the Big Chill' they were able to sell out the Big House with 110k fans, the majority of which had never attended a Michigan ice hockey game before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Chill_at_the_Big_House

A friend of mine that played pro hockey was at the Big Chill and he said it was a great event as a novelty for non-hockey fans (with the crowd mainly using football cheers) but that it wasn't too popular with the ice hockey fans. Since the facility is so large, and a wrestling mat so small, I am curious how this event will be received in Iowa.

I'm sure it will still happen - but how can the "attendance" record be broken when the event hasn't taken place so no one has actually "attended" yet?

Not to mention if it rains/snows or has to move indoors due to Nov temps.

Tickets sold is how these things are measured not numbers through the door is my understanding. When PSU set the record last time the arena was not even close to full due to inclement weather however there were no tickets to purchase at the door because they had already been allocated.

Apparently they are up to 20,000 sold as of a little bit ago. 

Tickets sold is how these things are measured not numbers through the door is my understanding. When PSU set the record last time the arena was not even close to full due to inclement weather however there were no tickets to purchase at the door because they had already been allocated.

Apparently they are up to 20,000 sold as of a little bit ago.

According to the NCAA, there are multiple acceptable ways of measuring attendance but they must be uniform so if a school declares they will use one metric they must use it for the whole season to prevent cherry picking of data. You can use turnstile counts, tickets sold, or official estimates.

So as long as the event is held, they can report the attendance as tickets sold. This is why you see some events with a ton of empty seats reporting high attendance numbers when in reality they were just tickets distributed through corporate accounts.

Edit: Here are some pictures of the crowds from the NCAA Basketball Tournament (which accounts for nearly all the revenue for the NCAA) that I posted last spring. http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/8763-attendance-at-todays-duals/?p=146960 (Though attendance is not the leading metric used in sports anymore. TV viewership is how you drive revenue now so it isn't a concern...)

Edited by Pinnum

Tickets sold v actual attendance:

Up until somewhat recently, Major League Baseball had 2 different ways of counting "attendance".

The American League went by tickets sold.

The National League went by people through the turnstiles.

Not long ago, the NL changed their way of counting attendance to tix sold (perhaps it has something to do with revenue sharing?).

As for this event, good for Iowa. Hopefully they sell out the stadium; it will be a good (news) story for NCAA wrestling.

Grew up in northern Illinois. That said :

My sport is a winter sport. After thinking this through --.I must say-- that I am simply delighted when I read , or hear, about the growth of wrestling . My personal focus in this reply is on (about) attendance. Though, not necessarily with attendance for (winter) dual meets outdoors….in a (rather huge) stadium, in the midwestern parts of our country. During the months of November--December--January, and yes even February. It could be a nightmare to get even a few 40 degree afternoons, with very little wind, during those aforementioned (4) four months.

Lest we forget….football dudes wear thicker uni's head to foot…..during the winter months. Even wear a heavy hat. We, on the other hand, wear a rather revealing  (one piece) singlet.

What I am thinking certainly makes some sense to me. Although, I could be missing something here ?

There is going to be 70K people there later in the day if the football team keeps a decent season going. I think there will be a tipping point, 30k-ish, at which and a lot of the football people that probably wouldn't go will start buying tickets just to be part of it.   could see 50k+

Edited by OtisCampbell

Just for comparisions sake, the largest crowd on hand for a single session of the NCAAs is 18,919.  If these numbers for this event pan out and there's 25-30K (on the low end), then there's no reason why Madison Square Gardern couldn't be sold out for all six sessions with a capacity of only 18,200.  Thoughts?

Just for comparisions sake, the largest crowd on hand for a single session of the NCAAs is 18,919.  If these numbers for this event pan out and there's 25-30K (on the low end), then there's no reason why Madison Square Gardern couldn't be sold out for all six sessions with a capacity of only 18,200.  Thoughts?

I am not sure what you're trying to say.

I think everyone expects a sellout at MSG. It is only a few hours from Philly which sold out the larger Wells Fargo Center and there is a lot of wrestling within driving distance of NYC.

I don't mind using tickets sold as the measuring stick as long as there is actually a seat to go with each ticket.

I was at the PSU-Pitt match. Well over 10K were in attendance.

Just messing with you. I am sure they will use the Carver numbers unless they do something like play the meet in Kinnick on the big screen for the people that don't get in, and even then I am guessing they will still just use the Carver numbers. 

Maybe then they can get the fire marshal on their side and break the record anyways.  

They put 22K+ in there for a women's basketball game in 1985.  http://www.dailyiowan.com/2010/02/04/Sports/15408.html

Edited by OtisCampbell

Just messing with you. I am sure they will use the Carver numbers unless they do something like play the meet in Kinnick on the big screen for the people that don't get in, and even then I am guessing they will still just use the Carver numbers. 

Maybe then they can get the fire marshal on their side and break the record anyways.  

They put 22K+ in there for a women's basketball game in 1985.  http://www.dailyiowan.com/2010/02/04/Sports/15408.html

If I remember correctly, the issue with breaking the record last year, after Penn State took the record, was that Iowa refused to sell floor seats (which is what PSU did at the Bryce Jordan because they didn't want to negatively impact their dedicated season ticket holders.

Since this event have tickets sold in advance, I wouldn't be surprised if each ticket sold has either has a corresponding seat at Carver or a refund designation on it should the weather be an issue. As a result, I wouldn't be shocked to hear that they were accounting for floor seats at this event and would be able to at least challenge for the record should the event be moved to Carver. (The BJC and CHA are very similar in size.)