Sign in to follow this  
Jaroslav Hasek

Miltary Games

Iran didn't send a strong team.  Shuptar will not be a threat to win at 65.  Kurbanaliev should take it.  Oliynik/Gatsalov could be good at 97. 

good call at 65. Kurby teched Shupastar in under 2 minutes. Von Ohlen did the same to Macedonia, Nowry got teched by Iran, Dombrovsky lost to Harth from Germany by criteria. 97 hasn't wrestled yet. 

i have not seen a live stream for it unfortunately.

Medals and key results:

57kg: Kim-Korea, Kudrin-Kaz, Atranagharchi-Iran/Kadyan-India (5th Grigoryan-Arm/Gasimov-Aze...Tuskaev-Rus. loses to Gasimov; Nowry-U.S. lost to Atran.)

65kg: Kvrbanaliev-Russia, Heydari-Iran, Shagapuly-Kaz/Mustafayev-Aze (5th Shuptar-Ukr...von Ohlen-U.S. lost to Kvrby and Shuptar)

74kg: Tcabolov-Russia, Harth-Germ, Akbarizarinko-Iran/Usserbayev-Kaz (5th Brzowzski-Pol/Lee-Kor...Dombrovsky-U.S. lost to Harth and Lee)

97kg: Gatsalov-Rus, Dorjkhand-Mong, Oliinyk-Ukr/Yankouski-Bela  

(Gatsalov over Oliinyk 2-2 on criteria in semi's; Meza-U.S. lost to Eslami-Iran who lost to Oliinyk)

Edited by maligned

surprised Tuskaev didn't do better. i don't know much about him but he has a cadet and junior world gold and he lost to AZE who lost to KAZ and IND. he's still young but he's going to need to improve to break into Russia's ridiculously loaded 57 spot. 

All these matches are on a knife's edge.  Gasimov beats Tuskaev 3-2, Kudrin beats Kadyan 12-12 on criteria and comes back from down 5 in the second period to beat Gasimov.  Then Lee beats Kudrin 15-10 in the final.  

At worlds, Lee lost 3-3 to Kumar, who lost 2-1 to Lebedev...and on and on we go.  These guys are all super, super close.

All these matches are on a knife's edge.  Gasimov beats Tuskaev 3-2, Kudrin beats Kadyan 12-12 on criteria and comes back from down 5 in the second period to beat Gasimov.  Then Lee beats Kudrin 15-10 in the final.  

At worlds, Lee lost 3-3 to Kumar, who lost 2-1 to Lebedev...and on and on we go.  These guys are all super, super close.

nope, another Korean wrestler

57 was a bar fight.  The South Korean who took the title barely won his first match (8-7) against the Pakistani soldier.

Nice win for Gatsalov, but he will not be the rep. in Rio in my opinion.  I see Makhov probably wrestling freestyle and Gadisov still being the guy at 97.  Russia would love to put Gatsalov's ice in Gadisov's veins though.

Mustafaev made Kurbanaliev work for his title.

One of the best things about our sports folks is that it goes 12 months a year. 

Any videos of the matches?

good call at 65. Kurby teched Shupastar in under 2 minutes. Von Ohlen did the same to Macedonia, Nowry got teched by Iran, Dombrovsky lost to Harth from Germany by criteria. 97 hasn't wrestled yet. 

i have not seen a live stream for it unfortunately.

Wow, Kurbanaliev teching Shuptar impresses me very much, especially when you take in consideration how well the ukrainian did in the Worlds (bronze medal), even beating Bogomoev.

Is the eligibility for Military Games being former or actual member of armed forces? Aren't civilians (no military past) authorized to compete?

EDIT: Well, I've found it -> Type : A non-profit organization where only active-duty military personnel participate

I didn't know Gatsalov, Kurbanaliev, Otarsultanov were active-duty military personnel.

Edited by Axe_Spartan

Is the eligibility for Military Games being former or actual member of armed forces? Aren't civilians (no military past) authorized to compete?

EDIT: Well, I've found it -> Type : A non-profit organization where only active-duty military personnel participate

I didn't know Gatsalov, Kurbanaliev, Otarsultanov were active-duty military personnel.

i'm guessing they're all active duty military the same way Russia's university games team were all matriculating students. it's poor form but at least we get some decent wrestling matches. 

cska in moscow I believe is affiliated with the military, so if they train out of there, they may technically be a "member" of the military

Not only that...the system of national service casts a very wide net in many countries--to the point that half of some nations' under-30 population could rightly be considered military because their work is for the state/government/social/military apparatus, which are one and the same and which require some sort of direct military training or time contribution on an occasional basis for years.

and I once got into a military only bar because I have a USAA credit card. i understand that in countries with mandatory service and conscription, the entire young male population can be considered to have a military affiliation. but the spirit of the games and what you can get away with are two very different things. 

so to me it looks tacky but its cool as long as we get more quality international wrestling matches.