Sign in to follow this  
maligned

All African Games

Shout out to the continent where I'm living...the All African Games just wrapped up a couple weeks ago.  Top freestyle teams from that event:

Nigeria: 6 medals, 3 gold

Egypt: 6 medals, 2 gold

Algeria: 5 medals, 1 gold

Tunisia/Senegal: 4 medals, 1 gold

A bronze and two 5th place in 8 or 9-man weights.   The same 3 guys took 2 silvers and a bronze at the African championships in the spring.  I gave detailed data on S. Africa in another thread--they haven't done anything of note internationally for a number of years, unfortunately.

Thanks.

They've never been a world power, but I trained there for a bit a decade ago and they were better. Placing top 10 at Sr Worlds, a jr world medal, gold or silver in just about every weight at this tournament. Wonder what happened.

Diatta could have been something much bigger with US or Canadian coaching.  Seriously.  Raw talent.

I haven't followed them that closely...I think it's Adama at 57 that's won matches against decent competition at times.  But the Diatta clan took 5th at 61 and gold at 65 at the all-african games also.  Jean Bernard at 61 also won the African championship last year, so they're all decent.

It goes without saying, but it would take more than a post on this board to talk about the experiences (I've lived either in Africa and/or a 100% african city quarter in Europe for 7 years).  I have a passion for justice, opportunities, and development, so it's been an unbelievable experience personally in terms of having so many relationships with people that are like-minded in these areas (both African and foreigners in Africa).  The biggest thing that I think Americans miss is that "Africa" is enormous with dozens and dozens of cultures and sub-cultures that are profoundly multi-layered.  People will ask me things like, "what do they eat over in africa?"--as if all the people of 50+ nations and thousands of ethnic groups all have a common diet or common way of life.  It's been a privilege to experience several of these cultures from both Sub-saharan and North African nations quite deeply.  If I had any say in international school curricula, it would definitely be required for all students in their teens to spend significant time in a culture far from their own.  The lessons and perspectives learned go so far beyond generalizations or political ideologies they can read about.

Diatta could have been something much bigger with US or Canadian coaching.  Seriously.  Raw talent.

I found where all the Senegalese and numerous other athletes (Midana of Guinea-Bissau, who's beaten numerous good people at 74kg, is another) are training at a center in Senegal established by FILA/UWW in 2011 that's run by former Bulgarian national team member, Nikolai Menchev.  

It goes without saying, but it would take more than a post on this board to talk about the experiences (I've lived either in Africa and/or a 100% african city quarter in Europe for 7 years).  I have a passion for justice, opportunities, and development, so it's been an unbelievable experience personally in terms of having so many relationships with people that are like-minded in these areas (both African and foreigners in Africa).  The biggest thing that I think Americans miss is that "Africa" is enormous with dozens and dozens of cultures and sub-cultures that are profoundly multi-layered.  People will ask me things like, "what do they eat over in africa?"--as if all the people of 50+ nations and thousands of ethnic groups all have a common diet or common way of life.  It's been a privilege to experience several of these cultures from both Sub-saharan and North African nations quite deeply.  If I had any say in international school curricula, it would definitely be required for all students in their teens to spend significant time in a culture far from their own.  The lessons and perspectives learned go so far beyond generalizations or political ideologies they can read about.

I lived in Africa for quite some time also.  Great experience.  What country are you living in?

I'm now half time between an African quarter of Marseille in southern France and North Africa...doing economics research with North African researchers on the situation of labor in the region.  Previously, I lived for 5 years in Sudan, which has been one of the most diverse nations on earth since long before modern mass migration because of being part of the Nubian empire to the north/east, being so accessible to the Arab world from across the red sea and by river from the north, and because of the variety of Sub-Saharan cultures once you exit the desert and cross the mountains to the west and south within the country.  There are nearly 30 ethnic groups with at least 100,000 people and more than 200 different languages spoken in total between what is now Sudan and the new nation of South Sudan.

Edited by maligned