Sign in to follow this  
vsnej

Alton Joins F&M Wrestling Staff

Its a very odd move by the F&M coaching staff.

What concerns me about Alton is what he bring to the table and helping F&M. He ihas very generous degree from penn st, its not like hes bringing a sports psychology from an ivy league school and teaching the wrestlers mental techniques. He lost in the AA round as a freshmen, but since then he has shown to make very poor decisions on and off the mat with a questionable work ethic. this would be concern me as a parent and a student at F & M.

This is one of the worst posts I've seen on this site. Congratulations, you win the Hottest Take award.

its really amazing to me how many wrestlers accomplish so much without ever being coached by ivy league graduate with a degree in sports psychology. you'd think becoming an all american without that kind of teaching would be impossible. 

Thats not what im saying.

My point being when you look at andrew alton's college career, what exactly is he bringing to the table? Losing in the AA round as a freshmen, not amounting to anything else, significantly underperforming, and making questionable decisions on and off the mat throughout the rest of his college career.

Maybe it was hard to interpret what i meant, but I could better understand the move IF he was bringing that degree and that skill to the F&M room, but he is not.

When was the last time we saw Alton wrestle? Against grajales in 2014? sloppy match on both ends, but what is he going to help the wrestlers with cement mixers, and burning your gas tank in the 1st minute?

Yes, because we all know to be a college coach, you need to have been at minimum a two time All-American and be someone who has never made questionable life choices. If you've made mistakes and never medaled, sorry, you're not allowed to coach in college.

People closer to Andrew obviously thinks he brings something to the table. I mean, we can totally understand what D1 coaches think from our own first hand knowledge, right?

Edited by JasonBryant

My point being when you look at andrew alton's college career, what exactly is he bringing to the table? Losing in the AA round as a freshmen, not amounting to anything else, significantly underperforming, and making questionable decisions on and off the mat throughout the rest of his college career.

Maybe it was hard to interpret what i meant, but I could better understand the move IF he was bringing that degree and that skill to the F&M room, but he is not.

When was the last time we saw Alton wrestle? Against grajales in 2014? sloppy match on both ends, but what is he going to help the wrestlers with cement mixers, and burning your gas tank in the 1st minute?

yes if only Andrew had that coveted ivy league degree in sports psychology. then his hiring could get the coveted lurshy92 message board seal of approval. now the F&M program will have to survive without the endorsement. 

I think the key here is that Rogers spent a ton of time coaching the Altons as they were growing up. As a head coach, it is a huge advantage to have an assistant that already knows your coaching style. Also, I am sure many others have done some stupid things in college and have grown up and matured since then. Lets hope this is the case here and not crucify him for his past mistakes. My biggest concern would be if he is currently healthy enough to wrestle in the room. They need someone for Durso. 

I have reason to believe John Smith and Cael Sanderson did not apply for the assistant coaching job at Franklin & Marshall.

That pinning attitude and aggressive style that made the fans in the state of Pennsylvania so excited should be a huge asset in the room. This sounds like a good addition to me.

Why do the Alton's catch so much abuse.  While I don't know them personally, I have watched them compete since Junior High and have always acted like gentleman on the mat.  I admit from a wrestling standpoint I was baffled by some of their matches in college but believe that it was not my place to make assumptions about why they did not achieve what many thought they would.  My feeling is that college wrestling(and especially Big 10) is brutal and if you're not at 100%, you will get beat.  However, personal attacks because kids get beat in a match is crazy.  I have to think that Sanderson knew what the situation was and for some reason thought they were willing to keep in the lineup.  Was it injury, illness, partying, personal issues,??? I don't know and I don't think anyone posting knows.

I wrestled in the 80's and I knew plenty of top wrestlers(AA, Nat'l champs) who had their share of issues when it came to partying, fights, etc.  I am not saying it is right, but unfortunately it happened a lot.  Many of these kids are now very successful men.  Let's give these kids a break for a "scuffle" that happened when they were home for holiday break.  Let's give them a break for only garnering a 3rd place NCAA medal between them.  Lastly, as mentioned above, let's believe that Coach Rogers might know that Andrew can bring something to that room.  

Edited by pennsyrules

Because no one polices abusive comments here. 

one of the biggest problems with this forum in the past was overzealous moderating.  it was ridiculous.  to hear someone complain now that we aren't moderated enough is pitiful.  maybe we could all use the reminder to be kinder, but this comment surely begs the admonishment to be a little bit tougher.  this isn't kindergarten.  we should be able to discuss various aspects of a MAN'S fitness for a coaching job without this crying for moderation.

I had mentioned in another thread that I though these guys would make good high school coaches. This is not a knock on their technique or anything like that but they are Big 10 experienced wrestlers who had limited success. For either to get in at the college level is good and I still think they will make good coaches I just didn't expect them to get the opportunity except at maybe the D3 level.  

one of the biggest problems with this forum in the past was overzealous moderating.  it was ridiculous.  to hear someone complain now that we aren't moderated enough is pitiful.  maybe we could all use the reminder to be kinder, but this comment surely begs the admonishment to be a little bit tougher.  this isn't kindergarten.  we should be able to discuss various aspects of a MAN'S fitness for a coaching job without this crying for moderation.

Yeah, well I wasn't here in those days so I have no idea what you are talking about here. 

Posting anonymously on a message board hardly requires being tough. 

I had mentioned in another thread that I though these guys would make good high school coaches. This is not a knock on their technique or anything like that but they are Big 10 experienced wrestlers who had limited success. For either to get in at the college level is good and I still think they will make good coaches I just didn't expect them to get the opportunity except at maybe the D3 level.  

Limited success?  Dylan won 78 matches in roughly 3 years and placed 3rd in the nation.  Andrew won 65 matches in roughly 2 years of full wrestling.  Please share your Big 10 record. 

Also, can you please explain the correlation between D1 success as a wrestler and how/why that impacts success as a coach at the collegiate level?

Limited success?  Dylan won 78 matches in roughly 3 years and placed 3rd in the nation.  Andrew won 65 matches in roughly 2 years of full wrestling.  Please share your Big 10 record. 

Also, can you please explain the correlation between D1 success as a wrestler and how/why that impacts success as a coach at the collegiate level?

By limited I was referring to one AA finish between them. I know there were several extenuating circumstances which let to this but I did not expect many colleges, especially D1 schools to give them a chance.

It's not about ability but opportunity. I thought that was self explanatory.   

I think it is a huge mistake to think a great wrestler is a good coach, or if you were not great you can not be a good coach.  It would do D1 wrestling good to get a few more coaches that actually know how to coach kids.  Great wrestlers can be assistants.

I think it is a huge mistake to think a great wrestler is a good coach, or if you were not great you can not be a good coach.  It would do D1 wrestling good to get a few more coaches that actually know how to coach kids.  Great wrestlers can be assistants.

Thanks!

Poorly worded, but lurshy92 does have a point. Is Alton really the best guy available? Given the scarcity of D1 coaching jobs, it's a fair question.

That said, having a great working relationship among coaches is absolutely critical to building a program, so if the head coach had a past history with Alton and felt they could be productive again together, he deserves the benefit of the doubt. He is literally putting his money where his mouth is and staking his own career. It is way better to have a non-AA assistant who buys in to the head coach's philosophy and coaching style than an NCAA champ who is a bad cultural fit.

There's also something to be said about Alton's five years under one of the best college coaches of our generation. Just like guys with Iowa and OSU backgrounds are coveted for their experience, former PSU athletes should always get a serious look.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Maybe he is just the kind of guy you want in a program.  

He brings a wealth of experience good and bad to the table for athletes to learn from.

He was in a National Championship Program.

He has wrestled on the big stage.

He knows the pressures of being hyped up and then having to perform under it.

Look, the Altons have been polarizing on forums for any number of reasons.  I always bagged on them for being over ranked (by intermat) myself.  As a college assistant at FM, AA is set up for a pretty good experience for himself and the athletes if you ask me.  Some of your comments are overcritical and a tad childish.

What makes anyone think that the F&M head coach has a great coaching style in the first place. The team has one good guy, Durso, and that's it.

try judging the coach against other peer schools. F&M is a DIII college with no scholarships, low admittance and high academic standards. I think the talent in that room far surpasses any other Centennial Conference team.  

What makes anyone think that the F&M head coach has a great coaching style in the first place. The team has one good guy, Durso, and that's it.

If a school like F&M produces 1 All American each year, they are doing what I would consider should be expected of them.

Any school with 5 full scholarships should have that as a minimum goal.

Any school with 9.9 that doesn't produce an AA should have their coaching staff critically evaluated.