Sign in to follow this  
Billyhoyle

Dake To 86?

Low risk move for him at this point. He can go wrestle, see how it goes, and make a decision. For what it's worth, Wikipedia lists Dake at 5'9". Is that accurate? Height is the only thing that could be an issue for him up 12 more kilos.

Plus, if he spent that last little bit as Herbert's training partner, he has have some idea of his chances to beat him. 

I am exactly 5 9 1/2 per the US Military and they measure you on a concert floor. I say i am 5 10 and Dake is about the same height as me and maybe a hair shorter. I say that the 5 9 is accurate also. Guys say they are an inch taller while girls say an inch shorter-funny. It will be difficult for him at 189 I think. The average height at that weight is 6 0-Taylor's height. But he gets the best of all our current 189 guys during 2 minute goes so why the heck not? Look on youtube of him getting the best of Foster and Herbert. All the guys cleared out of 187 for Cael except Fullhart. Cormier, Hartung and D Morrison all bumped up to avoid Cael. But this is a bigger bump for Dake and Taylor in order to avoid Burroughs. But it makes 86k dang exciting!!! 

Dake wins 2-2 on criteria vs the 6' 0" Foster.

Edited by PRyan2012

He will be competitive at 86 bc he is jsut that good of a wrestler, but 86 is a stretch for him.  No doubt in my mind that his "best" weight would be something lower -- 74 or 80 (if there was such a weight).

I get the decision though.  The system favors the returning champ so much, it is best interest to leave 74 (same for DT).

The system favors the returning champ so much, it is best interest to leave 74 (same for DT).

Also, he can't beat the returning champ, who happens to be one of the three best wrestlers our country has ever produced.  He can say it's because the system favors the returning champ, but there is no shame in avoiding being the same weight as JB.

Edited by Billyhoyle

He's taller than 5-9. He's just a tad taller than I am and I'm 5-10. 

I am exactly 5'9" (recently got measured again at the doctor's). Dake is literally eyeball to eyeball with me. I stood next to him at the Beat the Streets when he was injured and sitting out. We were both wearing similar shoes that day, since he had his "street clothes" on.

I am exactly 5 9 1/2 per the US Military and they measure you on a concert floor. I say i am 5 10 and Dake is about the same height as me and maybe a hair shorter. I say that the 5 9 is accurate also. Guys say they are an inch taller while girls say an inch shorter-funny. It will be difficult for him at 189 I think. The average height at that weight is 6 0-Taylor's height. But he gets the best of all our current 189 guys during 2 minute goes so why the heck not? Look on youtube of him getting the best of Foster and Herbert. All the guys cleared out of 187 for Cael except Fullhart. Cormier, Hartung and D Morrison all bumped up to avoid Cael. But this is a bigger bump for Dake and Taylor in order to avoid Burroughs. But it makes 86k dang exciting!!! 

Dake wins 2-2 on criteria vs the 6' 0" Foster.

Thanks for this, it's interesting. The match with Foster doesn't make it clear he can be a medalist at 86kg. It looks like he can hang with the guys if he's the better wrestler (which one would think is the case) then the size difference was really hurting him.

Nobody said you can't be short at 86 or even 97...but you need a body like Kurtanidze or Yazdani that packs all-world strength and explosiveness.  Dake and Howe do not have these guys' bodies:

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/16th+Asian+Games+Day+13+Wrestling+CKAWljtv6ocl.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/FmSC-QfVpQo/mqdefault.jpg

Chris Bono was a midget and did well at Lincoln Mac's weight. Doesn't mean Troy Nickerson could bulk up to the same weight because they're about the same height. Body shape and genetic muscular limits ARE actual things.

I'm not saying Dake can't be competitive up a weight, but that video of his practice with Foster shows how small Dake is for the weight. Taylor has a very different situation. He is already close to 200 lbs and is actually tall for the weight and therefore has plenty of leverage.

Dake will be competitive because he's such a sick athlete but if the goal is to do damage at the Olynpics and not to just make the team, I think he's better off staying put. 7 or so months is a hopelessly brief period of time to add 26 quality pounds for someone as small as Dake.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Chris Bono was a midget and did well at Lincoln Mac's weight. Doesn't mean Troy Nickerson could bulk up to the same weight because they're about the same height. Body shape and genetic muscular limits ARE actual things.

I'm not saying Dake can't be competitive up a weight, but that video of his practice with Foster shows how small Dake is for the weight. Taylor has a very different situation. He is already close to 200 lbs and is actually tall for the weight and therefore has plenty of leverage.

Dake will be competitive because he's such a sick athlete but if the goal is to do damage at the Olynpics and not to just make the team, I think he's better off staying put. 7 or so months is a hopelessly brief period of time to add 26 quality pounds for someone as small as Dake.

That's his life goal, but you can't do damage at the olympics unless you make the team.  Burroughs is as good as he has ever been and looks to be going to 2020.  Dake has a lot of sponsors as well, and it is financially important for him to make it to Rio.   

Maybe he doesn't add 26, but he knows his way around the weight room, is a professional athlete now, and can focus on bulking up as much as possible.