Sign in to follow this  
Billyhoyle

Dake To 86?

When you're in HS and even college, it's fine believe that the only goal that really matters is being the champion.  Because of the wrestling mindset, he is going to say that is his goal, and he will "believe" that he can beat Sadulaev.  However, the main reason 86kg is a good move is because it gives him the best chance to make the team.  Dake has a number of sponsors, and getting to Rio is important for them..Otherwise they are sponsoring a guy who will only be visible at the trials, and they can do no marketing run up to the olympics. Winning any Oympic medal would be a huge accomplishment to further Dake's career (or anyone else not named Burroughs).  Sometimes, it's not really just about winning gold, despite what people like to say.  

That is an excellent observation, Billyhoyle.  It also makes me wonder now how much sponsors are pushing their guys in any particular direction. For example, KD and DT have overlapping endorsement deals from both Flips and Milwaukee Tools. The sponsors probably won't want both guys competing at the same weight. Flips also has deals with Perry and Herbert, so there's even more of a "marketing logjam" for them at 86kg...

That is an excellent observation, Billyhoyle.  It also makes me wonder now how much sponsors are pushing their guys in any particular direction. For example, KD and DT have overlapping endorsement deals from both Flips and Milwaukee Tools. The sponsors probably won't want both guys competing at the same weight. Flips also has deals with Perry and Herbert, so there's even more of a "marketing logjam" for them at 86kg...

I don't think they are actively putting pressure on anyone to make weight changes (Burroughs is sponsored by flips as well), especially because the sponsorships aren't THAT lucrative.  I do think though that Dake and Taylor both recognize  the value of being on the Olympic team (even if Sadulaev is in the way), as opposed to losing at the trials when it comes to their marketability/career legacy/relevancy.  Thinking that all that matters is the best chance to win gold is shortsighted. 

Edited by Billyhoyle