Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingjunkie

uniforms

Lavolic said, "The traditional singlet is not something that is worn around the gym. We want apparel that our wrestlers and fans will feel proud to wear and we are going to make that happen."

To be assured that the new uniform fits this requirement, whatever they come up with, coaches should have to wear he same thing! (Like managers do in baseball.)

In the 1960s, before singlets were legal in folkstyle, the shirts they wore fastened in the crotch.. sorta like a baby's onesie. In fact, such a shirt with close-fitting shorts was a still legal uniform in the NFHS rulebook until 5 or so years ago.

Wow! I can't help but to imagine how uncomfortable those were to wrestle in. Ironically, singlets must have been a welcome change!

I think that the development of new uniforms is done by Adidas.

Seems like it would be better to have Adidas, Nike, Asics, UnderArmour and others compete to come up with the best uniform. I wonder if they tried that or just went straight to Adidas?

Little digression, but since we're talking about uniforms, just saw a picture of JB and Goudarzi on the podium at 2012 Olympics, and JB has a brown (?) USA warm up suit that looked like it came from a thrift store. Where's the red white and blue?

Wanted to say something back then, but just enjoyed the Gold instead.   

Maybe so, and maybe not a big deal, but it looks like they're representing different countries with these off colors. 

And perhaps I'm in the minority, but I find it appalling that Team USA doesn't wear red, white and blue on the podium, and at the Olympics no less. 

Jaroslav, you're probably right. I have no clue what's going on behind the scenes, and honestly, I really enjoy most of your posts. Usually always agree with you.

But. the Olympics? Team USA wins an infrequent wrestling Gold and the American champ is wearing brown on the podium? Something wrong with this picture, IMO. 

s'all good. found the press release for Nike's unveiling of the podium uniforms. looks like each athlete got all 3 sets of unis but certain sports wore certain outfits on the podium. i just noticed now that the pants are actually jeans.

http://www.teamusa.org/News/2012/June/14/NIKE-U-S-Olympic-Committee-unveil-Team-USA-medal-stand-apparel-for-London-2012-Games-June-14-2012.aspx

based on the date we won't know what the athletes in Rio will where until 2 weeks before the start. 

what I have seen for potential submissions look like surfer shorts with a compression shirt.  Like they wore for WNO.  Two problems (for me) are 1.  I just don't like the look, and think you will have someone bare-assed at some point, even with some kind of hook and loop fasteners, and 2. Someones hand is going to get caught in the leg and broken.

Just my opinion, which doesn't matter much in the scheme of things.

Someones hand is going to get caught in the leg and broken.

I can see some people not liking shorts because they might get pulled down or interfere with leg attacks, but I don't buy the safety issue argument. Judo, jiu jitsu, muay thai, mma and many other sports wear shorts or looser clothing, and you don't see hands getting caught & broken. (Maybe you do, and I just don't know about it?)

Even if the new uniform were polka-dotted with finger-sized holes, I doubt there'd be any increase in broken bones.

That being said, if fight shorts are chosen, it seems like they should be a little shorter and not quite so baggy.  A lot of wrestlers tend to have short legs, and you can see some of the guys who wear them at the Flo events tuck them up into the legs of their singlet underneath (or whatever they're wearing as a base layer).  Which brings me to anther idea: if two-piece uniforms -- compression or otherwise -- become the norm, there might be a market for a lightweight, breathable base-layer singlet for those concerned of being depanted.

Edited by wnywrestling

Maybe so, and maybe not a big deal, but it looks like they're representing different countries with these off colors. 

And perhaps I'm in the minority, but I find it appalling that Team USA doesn't wear red, white and blue on the podium, and at the Olympics no less. 

I guess it makes more sense that the one-off is from Nike. They go a bit off-brand (or "bold" as they say) frequently with special edition unis for their college teams, incorporating colors like grey, black, silver, copper, pink, etc. - Oregon football being the most visible example.

I guess it makes more sense that the one-off is from Nike. They go a bit off-brand (or "bold" as they say) frequently with special edition unis for their college teams, incorporating colors like grey, black, silver, copper, pink, etc. - Oregon football being the most visible example.

just wait until under amour starts designing the unis. digi-camo for everyone!

Talking about uniforms, this is the proposal of new uniform for muslim women of the INWR and the UWW Scientific Comsmision:

http://inwr-wrestling.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/POSSIBLE-WRESTLING-UNIFORM-DESIGNS-FOR-MUSLIM-WOMEN.pdf

http://inwr-wrestling.com/2015/09/wrestling-for-iranian-women-discussed-at-inwr-scientific-symposium/

By the way, the UWW in its rules recently published, doesn't specify about the referee's dress. They only say that the refereeing body must be dressed with the UWW homologated uniform. But talking about sponsors in referee's uniform they say something about the number on the jacket, when they say before that the referees would wear a polo shirt and trousers.

Interesting, good find!

Look at this picture of Russell Wilson. Take off the pads and put on JB Elites, it's not a bad looking wrestling uniform.

Russell-Willson-and-Colin-Kaepernick-Spo

Edited by wnywrestling