Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingjunkie

uniforms

Talking about uniforms, this is the proposal of new uniform for muslim women of the INWR and the UWW Scientific Comsmision:

http://inwr-wrestling.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/POSSIBLE-WRESTLING-UNIFORM-DESIGNS-FOR-MUSLIM-WOMEN.pdf

http://inwr-wrestling.com/2015/09/wrestling-for-iranian-women-discussed-at-inwr-scientific-symposium/

By the way, the UWW in its rules recently published, doesn't specify about the referee's dress. They only say that the refereeing body must be dressed with the UWW homologated uniform. But talking about sponsors in referee's uniform they say something about the number on the jacket, when they say before that the referees would wear a polo shirt and trousers.

interesting but I don't think they should label it a wrestling uniform for "muslim women". lots of muslim women have no problem wrestling in standard competitive attire. 

Assuming tight clothing will part of the new uniform, it seems to me we're down to eight options:

1. Compression shorts and no top. Many MMA fighter choose this option. But it seems to offer less coverage than a singlet, and it would be less secure than a singlet. So I think singlets would be better than this option. 
  2. Compression shorts and a compression tank top. This is very similar to a singlet, but less secure. A singlet is a better option.
  3. Compression shorts and a compression shirt. This is also very similar to a singlet, but less secure. A singlet is a better option.
  4. Compression shorts and a compression long sleeve shirt. This might look more modern, but I think adding fabric to arms is a bad idea. You'll see guys grabbing it. (Tsargush.)  
  5. Compression leggings and no top. This would look weird. 
  6. Compression leggings and a compression tank top. This would just look like old-timey singlets. Maybe the look can be updated. I'm not opposed.
  7. Compression leggings and a compression shirt. This would look more modern. I'm not opposed.
  8. Compression leggings and a compression long sleeve shirt. Again, adding fabric to arms is not a good idea. 

So if UWW is determined to move on from the singlet, What are we left with? To me, it looks like we're left with compression leggings with either a compression tank top or a compression shirt. 

Compression leggings and a compression tank top. This would just look like old-timey singlets. Maybe the look can be updated. I'm not opposed.

That option would seem completely pointless since its basically the same exact look as the singlet.

They are all similar to singlets in some way. If only leggings and a compression shirt would look different to you, its understandable. 

you are forgetting that a two-piece is better for marketability. It allows for different combinations, and kids like them better. I'm not a fan of tank top, some sleeves would be good. And A HIGHER CUT. Finally. Think of us guys with hairy chests, for once!

Another aspect is the security in term of herpes protection or similar infections. This is another point against singlet and less coverage uniforms.

It won't solve anything.

A) The guys spreading herpes usually don't even know they have it.

B) The guys who don't get herpes are usually already carries, they just don't know it (which is why they spread it).

C) Even if you already have herpes, you can still get another kind of herpes.

D) Face contact in wrestling. You could put a sock on your face to protect it. Maybe.

E) The only way to avoid herpes in wrestling is to avoid cuts and bruises. That's easy....

F) People who don't have herpes are a minority.

There really should be a campaign for kids that teaches what herpes is and how you get it. Once I started to laugh out when a crosstraining judoka came at me with a huge herpes spot on his lip. I told him I was not going to wrestle him. He didn't take it well, and said it was a pimple. I told him it's herpes. He got mad and left.

I have no idea if I have it or not, but I'm sure as hell not going to wrestle someone with an active herpes.

Turns out three people on his dojo "got" herpes within the same 6 months.

It's just almost impossible to avoid in contact sports. All avoidance is more or less based on luck.

i wouldn't be shocked if a compression muscle shirt is used, i think that would look good. Katie as far as your post goes i think 3 and 7 are the best options, I would say most guys out of high school wear this or some variation of it in every practice. also Do we know if fight shorts are off the table? 

Just because UWW changes the uniform does that mean US folkstyle would also change their uniform? I see a lot of people  talking about how the singlet effects younger wrestlers in the US. 

Edited by Shiraz123

Just because UWW changes the uniform does that mean US folkstyle would also change their uniform? I see a lot of people  talking about how the singlet effects younger wrestlers in the US. 

i highly doubt it unfortunately,  high school kids hate them and it is huge deterrent, many kids mock middle school and high school wrestlers for wearing them, and many kids who may want to try wrestling don't because they don't want to be made fun of, or they themselves are uncomfortable wearing them. I myself was hesitant to start wrestling because of singlets, and to this day dislike wearing them. the good news is many youth coaches are realizing this and allowing younger kids to wear something else

New York has approved compression shorts & shirt for their modified teams this year: http://armdrag.com/read?article=11020

I'm not convinced that skin-tight shorts are any less embarrassing for a junior high kid considering the sport, but it's worth a try.

New York has approved compression shorts & shirt for their modified teams this year: http://armdrag.com/read?article=11020

I'm not convinced that skin-tight shorts are any less embarrassing for a junior high kid considering the sport, but it's worth a try.

They've tried this uniform before and it was a flop.  They have to allow regular shorts like flo uses except a little less baggy and a little more short.

what I have seen for potential submissions look like surfer shorts with a compression shirt.  Like they wore for WNO.  Two problems (for me) are 1.  I just don't like the look, and think you will have someone bare-assed at some point, even with some kind of hook and loop fasteners, and 2. Someones hand is going to get caught in the leg and broken.

Just my opinion, which doesn't matter much in the scheme of things.

Did you actually watch WNO?  Both of your problems were proven not to be a problem.  The shorts didn't come down and no one's hands were caught.

Edited by AnklePicker

I just read the last UWW circular letter about referees and the grey trousers and black shoes remain, but they don't say anything about the polo color. In Europeans was white, in Worlds was black, in Veterans Worlds was grey.